Warscroll Designer (BETA)

On 26/07/2016 at 9:39 PM, RuneBrush said:

Hi all :)

Was just having a think about the best way to tackle Warscroll sharing.  My original thought of a copy/paste link isn't going to work very well, with just some filler text the "optimised" link is around 1800 characters long :|  So I'm thinking about alternatives.

One option is a "free-for-all" that simply saves the Warscroll and gives you a link.  All well and dandy but you'd have no way of ever editing it and it's always open to abuse...

Another option would be to allow you to log in using Facebook or Google, and your Warscrolls are saved alongside your login.  Not everybody has FB or Google though and some people (e.g. me) are quite apprehensive about signing in on an insecure website for what is in essence a novelty.

I could hook registration into my blog - so you could sign up there but it means another account in a world where every website needs a different log in.

Final option would be to enter your e-mail address and get sent the sharing & editing link (or something along these lines).  This would actually be the easiest but would people be happy at doing this?  Again there could be questions over data entry security.

Thoughts?  Happy to take suggestions too!

For me, I would be happy to sign up to a site if it allows me to save to the site and share that work with others.

• Like 1

Some as Bowlzee, happy to sign up - Google registration would be preferred (fb a close second) as having another login/pass to remember is always a pain.

As a side note @RuneBrush as you seem to be a whizz at this, any thoughts at tackling a Battleplan Designer?  I for one would love one of those (though it could be arkward with deployment zone requirements unless you set a whole chunk of them as default selectable?

• Like 1

Cool - I'll have a look into how to integrate Google login :)  I'm always cautious about FB as I always feel it contains a lot of private information!  Don't think I'll have much time this week though as I'm rehashing the mobile website for the company I work at (flipping working getting in the way of fun things).

1 hour ago, Tozon said:

As a side note @RuneBrush as you seem to be a whizz at this, any thoughts at tackling a Battleplan Designer?  I for one would love one of those (though it could be arkward with deployment zone requirements unless you set a whole chunk of them as default selectable?

In theory it's entirely possible, would need some form of cleverness to work out page breaks (which I need to work out for the warscroll tool too).  Deployment zone is actually easier than it seems as I've extracted out a plain "board" from somewhere so it's just a matter of overlaying the coloured zones in whatever configuration you fancy.  Another thing I'd love to do is to combine the data from Scrollbuilder and the printable PDF GW have produced.  Would mean that we can quickly spit out a nice looking army roster.

• Like 3

Think I've managed to crack the Google log in (though not uploaded any changes yet).  Currently unsure if it's best to save Warscrolls to your Google Drive or to a local database...  Any preference - only disadvantage of using Google Drive is that it'll be completely private to you, whereas a local database has a bit more versatility for sharing or similar.

6 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

I'd prefer Drive, but then I'm a google user and use it all the time. 

It's easy enough to share folders or individual items from Drive

Not a Google Drive user, so how easy is it to share to a large group, and people unknown to you? Long term it would be great for this to be a community driven resource, and that really needs easy sharing to happen.

Edited by mhsellwood

14 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

I'd prefer Drive, but then I'm a google user and use it all the time. 

It's easy enough to share folders or individual items from Drive

8 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Not a Google Drive user, so how easy is it to share to a large group, and people unknown to you? Long term it would be great for this to be a community driven resource, and that really needs easy sharing to happen.

Sounding like save to database with an option to save PDF to drive may be the best option.  The "file" I need to save is going to be a raw data file so not much use to share "as is" if that makes sense.  This would allow you to directly share a PDF via drive.

Saving to database would also make it a bit easier with sharing as you could share a link to a warscroll which you could then edit/amend without breaking the share.

• Like 1

Well there we go - at least the first part.  The website should now allow you to sign in with Google and subsequently change the "Save to Local Storage" button to "Save to Server".  Any local warscrolls will be available, but the first time you edit/save them they'll be moved over to the server storage instead.  I'll likely investigate proper offline access at some point in the future (I want to for another project anyway) but this could be a little more challenging as I'll need to handle conflicts and such like.

I've tried to keep the above bits simple as I've never played the Google API - please let me know if there are any problems!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for being patient with this, it appears I didn't copy a handful of files over and there was a slight discrepancy between my local server and the live one.  However this has now been resolved and it's all working correctly once more (I've done a load of live testing).  I've also fixed a problem where the Google Authentication didn't always tell the Warscroll you were logged in - if you are logged in you should now always have "Save to Server", please shout if you don't.

Frustratingly any lost warscrolls have gone the way of the dodo :(  I've just tweaked the routine so that if something goes awry on the server it will no longer remove the local copy.  On a positive @Bowlzee I did have a Blood Warriors warscroll I'd done which I've copied over to you.

• Like 1

Not enough likes in the day for this tool. Hopefully having these beauties printed out will speed up playing, hate having to flick through books and remember whether I've got a Lightning Hammer or Tempestos Hammer before I can roll for attacks. Just need to do a bit of highlighting now to match the colour of my one phrase cheat sheet that was thrown together halfway through a game tonight (edited to be family friendly :$:P 

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

• Like 1

On 05/08/2016 at 2:42 PM, tjgreenway said:

Not enough likes in the day for this tool. Hopefully having these beauties printed out will speed up playing, hate having to flick through books and remember whether I've got a Lightning Hammer or Tempestos Hammer before I can roll for attacks. Just need to do a bit of highlighting now to match the colour of my one phrase cheat sheet that was thrown together halfway through a game tonight (edited to be family friendly :$:P 

Thanks :)  As weird as it sounds it's really nice to see something you've created virtually actually being used!

I think I've just fixed an issue where after an hour of inactivity you'd be unable to save/load anything without signing out and back in again.  Will confirm in 50 minutes ;)

I've also just added in the ability to save the warscroll as a JPG.  This should mean you can save your warscrolls and easily merge them onto one sheet :)

• Like 2

Just added a missing "magic" section.  With the exception of a wounds table (Behemoth) I think you can now create any type of warscroll in the designer now.  Custom keywords needs a little bit of assistance as it should really be storing these into a database - plus I need to add in the missing Grand Alliances (Order, Destruction & Death)

• Like 1

Really cool stuff. Considering transferring my Dogs of War warscrolls I created a while back to this format, as they look a lot prettier than the ones I created in a Googledocs document :)

Also might consider printing out warscrolls as the app has been a bit finicky at times. Given I have a couple of monsters, eager to see when the wounds chart is implemented.

Keep up the good work mate :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 1:03 PM, brbrbrbrbr said:

Sometimes most of the text on a warscroll will become completely garbled after I save to PDF. Any idea why that would happen?

No idea - can you screenshot it and post it here?  It might be a funny character I need to encode :)