The Denizens of the Grand Oubliette

Fisher KIng

The Denizens of the Grand Oubliette

Deep within the mist shrouded valleys of Ulgu, down beneath the ground lies the Labyrinthine tunnels of the grand Oubliette. The twisting tunnels are made from mirror like obsidian. Illusions and phantasms plague those unlucky enough to be caught in it depths. To the denizens of the winding passages the concerns of ideology and morality are left behind for more pressing concerns of survival.    

+++++++++++++++

Hello all, I have been out of the hobby of a while but when I did play I mainly played smaller narrative games like Mordhiem and Kill team. I love the way you can grow a warband and advance characters through play. Mostly I loved converting models and making them my own. So when I found INQ28 and later AOS28 I knew this was something I wanted to try.

But where to start? I was thinking and looking through what Mini’s I have at hand, money being a bit tight at the moment. I tried to think about what life would be like for the common denizens of the realms. AOS is a grand sweeping setting that tells the tales of grand heroes and gods. I want to concentrate on the over end of the scale. At first I had the concept of an old free guild knight and his retinue who never achieved the success that he felt he was deserving of. With the coming of the Stormcast he is trying to prove his worth. I may still do this but it’s not how I want to start. I have seen many fantastic blogs and post about Chaos and humans be they Stromcast or free guild. The elves models I’ve seen really have that Grimdark feel and the death faction seems like a slam dunk for this. I don’t see any Destruction, Profundis’s excellent Orruk Backbreaker being the exception. So I thought I would start here.

I wanted to dispel the cartoony look of them and concentrate on creating something that could be terrifying if you or I were to meet it in a back ally. I started with something that was fairly standard. Taking some goblin heads and putting them on to Skaven bodies to give that no nonsense warrior look.

(sorry about the picture quality)

Gob test 1

Gob test 2

but I felt this was a bit easy and not in keeping with the spirit of AOS28. I decided to have a deep think about the Grot I was going to make. How could I make them seem more, for lack of a better word GrimDark? That is when I can up with the idea of the Oubliette. The change of thing altered the Cockney snicks into eternally hungry predators stalking the dark places of the realm for the next unsuspecting meal. I went back to the modelling table and came up with something that I think really fits the theme and brief of AOS28.

The pose of the ghoul body really gives this model the menace I was going for. It kind of reminds me of the hag in the film Legend. The size is abit of an issue but given that this is AOS28 and not competitive play I am hoping that this doesn’t matter.

Anyway what do you think? Does it work? Is the size an issue? What should I tackle next?

Gob prime 1

Gob prime 2

gob prime 3

The Baby Snatcher. The Snatcher craves only one thing Man flesh. His hunger is always clawing at him. This blood thirsty Grot know a secret way out of the Oubliette but it suit him to stay. In the darkest of nights he creeps out and takes the sweetest of meets down deep into the dark.

snacher 1.png

snacher 2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived