Could Pusgoyle Blightlords be units in units of 1+ in mached play without breaking the game?

Ratty_McRatface

I was thinking about the Issue with Pusgoyle Blightlords the Lord of Afflictions with two in a box and ending up with an extra guy that you can't use in mached play and thought why couldn't it just be 1+ for the min unit size for Pusgoyle Blightlords and call it a day, problem solved?  Would it really break the game to do this? 

I don't think it would but what do you chaps think?

Cheers,

Ratty

It wouldn't break the game, it is just a financial decision to put people in "need" of more of a specific product.

If anything, a unit of one Blightlord would be worse than a unit of 2,  since you can't equip him with the Dolorous Tocsin bell weapon.

If you play friendly games you can easily just use one blightlord for half the unit points after talking with your opponent about it first.

You can also convert the 3 Plague Drones from the "Blightwar"/ "Start Collecting Nurgle" sets to have blightking riders by using extra parts from the Blightkings box + some greenstuff so that you have 4 Pusgoyle Blightlords + Lord of Afflictions. If you can't find legs for them, you can make them have tentacle legs hanging on the sides of the Rot Flies or wrapped around them with some greenstuff. In the lore it is stated that Pusgoyle Blightlords have a symbiotic relationship with their Rot Fly mounts and most rarely/never leave their saddles so you could have them in a state where they start to merge and become one with the Rot Flies.

No this shouldn't be any issue really. Especially because thaking two gives you an extra bonus, where one does not.

In that same vein, neat as some of the standard unit sizes are for AoS there would also be very little wrong with actually applying a cost to a single model and have variable unit sizes again.

23 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

What’s the issue?

Doesnt the warscroll specifically state that a unit of Blightlords can have any number of models?

Their matched play point value starts at two models. This means you can run units of one, three, five, etc., but must pay for them in multiples of two. Since building a Lord of Affliction means you'll have an odd number of Blightlords, it leaves people with an odd man out.

Personally I think (just to complicate things), each unit should have a minimum size, maximum size, and increment size.

There are plenty more examples IMO where it'd be nice to have a different increment value to minimum size. Maybe I don't want to take 40 Grots but only 30? Well can't do that. Ogor Ironguts come in box size of 4, but you need to purchase them in 3's. All the flesh-eater courts boxes make courtiers now, and at least if you could increment in 1's for the Horrors/Flayers or 5's for the Ghouls it wouldn't be bad.

So yeah, big advocate of having an increment size. I don't think every unit in the game should increment in 1's (Don't really want to go back to the micro-managing of lists you get in old Warhammer), but would definitely be more flexible to have different increment sizes.

It's also a little frustrating when it's inconsistent. Pre GHB2017, Clanrats had a minimum unit size of 10 so they were much more flexible than Grots at 20. Grave Guard have a minimum of 5 for some reason, so are more flexible to build than Greatswords or Black Guard, etc. It's not very consistent considering the boxes sizes (Although Clanrats were fixed in GHB2017).

Indeed, i believe that regular units/battlelines like Chaos Warriors, Plaguebearers, Bloodreavers, Blightkings etc should stay as they currently are, but elite units that you usually get 1-3  in the box like Blightlords, Crypt Horrors/Flayers should be allowed to be taken in minimum of 1 especially if they have the option to build a Hero in the box.

I thought the Generals Handbook catered for understrength units?  It's how you'd field some battalions that required things like models in multiples of 7.  You just have to pay the points at the size stated in the pitched battle profile, but use less models.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I thought the Generals Handbook catered for understrength units?  It's how you'd field some battalions that required things like models in multiples of 7.  You just have to pay the points at the size stated in the pitched battle profile, but use less models.

Yeah but that's basically handicapping yourself except in those specific circumstances where it actually benefits you (The various god specific battalions from Everchosen).

What people want is the ability to pay for only one Pusgoyle Blightlord because they turned the other one into a Lord of Afflictions.

In hindsight thinking about having a different increment size. I think the problem is that it's confusing in terms of points. Do you have a point for minimum, then points per increment, and then finally a discount total points if you take a max unit? Super confusing.

Maybe ultimately points per model and just having min/max and max discount is the best and easiest solution. Gives the granularity for people to build units in whatever sizes they want, avoids the problem of having split kits if you build characters. It's still not super min-maxing an army as we don't have to worry about points for different equipment types or command models.

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Yeah but that's basically handicapping yourself except in those specific circumstances where it actually benefits you (The various god specific battalions from Everchosen).

What people want is the ability to pay for only one Pusgoyle Blightlord because they turned the other one into a Lord of Afflictions

In hindsight thinking about having a different increment size. I think the problem is that it's confusing in terms of points. Do you have a point for minimum, then points per increment, and then finally a discount total points if you take a max unit? Super confusing.

Maybe ultimately points per model and just having min/max and max discount is the best and easiest solution. Gives the granularity for people to build units in whatever sizes they want, avoids the problem of having split kits if you build characters. It's still not super min-maxing an army as we don't have to worry about points for different equipment types or command models.

Not going to disagree with any of this - but the question was if it's allowed to run 1 Blightlord in Matched Play :) 

You're right in that the ideal solution would to have the increment as 1, but that's not how any of the Pitched Battle Profiles are written, the increment is a multiple of the base size (in this case 2).  Who knows though, we might see a more granular points system introduced in the GHb2018!

23 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

but the question was if it's allowed to run 1 Blightlord in Matched Play :) 

You're right in that the ideal solution would to have the increment as 1, but that's not how any of the Pitched Battle Profiles are written, the increment is a multiple of the base size (in this case 2).  Who knows though, we might see a more granular points system introduced in the GHb2018!

No, the question was that if Blightlords were minimum unit size 1 (Hence solving the isssue) would it break the game ;)

The OP seems to know how matched play works based on his post.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:52 AM, Arkiham said:

such a scum bag move by gw tbh. 

kirby would be proud

Characters/heroes are notoriously overpriced. Each of these boxes (there are 2 with the same structure I can think of: dracothian guard and pusgoyles) contain the bits to build a hero plus an extra single model for that unit. The price tag is probably what a hero would cost!

Look at the Dracothian guard box and then the pushfit Lord Celestant on Dracoth (Vandus - from the starter set) and compare prices: (my currency) 300 SEK to 480 SEK.

Now, that said, I'd be all for a bit more granularity with unit sizes in general. Not really for getting one extra elite model on the board, more for Slotting in a few extra models into bigger blocks.

It  might have knock on effects with the "1 in every 5/2 in every 6" or "if this unit has 20 or more models" rules but that'd be easily remedied I'm sure.

Archived