Help Khorne vs Tzeentch 2000 points

Agent of Chaos

I've played Tzeentch twice before with Stormcast and both times been annihilated, mostly due to my list not being optimised to stop magic or mortal wounds.

I have a 2000 points game on Sunday and thinking Khorne is my best chance for a proper anti magic / Tzeentch counter list. 

I'm thinking Gore Pilgrims with 3 x priests is key. The 36" range for the portal making my opponent re-roll successful spells should help burn through those destiny dice and limit mortal wound spam.

The Bloodsecrator is therefore key so I'm thinking the Brazen Rune will help him survive the magic assault (plus the ability to auto-unbind one spell could prove crucial at the right time).

Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster (with immense power and deathdealer) is my go to general and with his +2 to unbind he fits the bill nicely. 

So with all that included plus 10 x Bloodreavers and 10 x Bloodwarriors to round out the battalion I'm at 1200 points.

So how to spend the remaining 800?

10 x Flesh hounds get +1 to unbinding, plus speed for chasing down Sky-fires.  I own 15 so could bring them all...

Chaos Warriors/Knights have the runeshield for mortal wound protection so could be an option as well.

Who should get the remaining hero slot? Normally Bloodstoker would be auto-include but perhaps there is a better option?

Whats the best way to approach Tzeentch? Spam with chaff or bring elite/durable units?

All tips and suggestions welcome!

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount with the Crimson Crown and two Letterbomb is a good combo. He's got a 5+ MW save too. And Letterbombss are just sick. Probably want to Stoke one of them though. That's if you've got 60 Bloodletters though, of course...

Yeah, even 30 Bloodletters with a Bloodstoker and the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster are pretty good. They get +3" move and run and charge, rerolling wounds on 1 with the stoker and rerolling hits of 1 with a daemon hero of khorne nearby. Add in the Secrator, a prayer from the priest and maybe a pull prayer from him too, and you have a seriously damaging unit for 300ish points. 

Try to make use of Blood Bind as much as possible on the ranged units and the mortal wound dealers.

If you end up using Warriors or Knights, having a Warshrine can add another layer of protection and some nice buffs for mortal units. I think you could also add in Sayl the Faithless as an ally and throw a clump of buffed warriors or knights into combat or on objectives quite easily.

Korgoraths are always another excellent choice, especially buffed up with the Stoker and Secrator.

Thanks for the above suggestions guys.

Chaos Lord wasn't an option this time as he offers no defence against magic and the Bloodthirster was to be my general. His command ability works better on bloodletters anyway.

I own 30 bloodletters but had already decided they werent the best option against Tzeentch. In both previous games against Tzeentch my opponent had a Gaunt Summoner who would hop onto a balewind first turn and then cast his infernal flames spell. If successful I would lose half my bloodletters before they got to do anything.

Assuming my opponent would take this as well as some Skyfires I built my list around stopping magic and absorbing mortal wounds, believing that I could beat him in melee even without a bloodletter bomb. Once I found out he was bringing a Warpfire dragon I swapped out 10 x chaos warriors for 5 x Wrathmongers and split the 10 x Bloodwarriors into 2 units for battleline requirements. Ended up with the following:

Allegiance: Khorne
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General; Trait: Immense Power; Artefact: Deathdealer 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)- Goreaxes & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)- Goreaxes & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)- Meatripper Axes
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Ensorcelled Weapons
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Chaos Glaives
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)
Total: 2000 / 2000

My opponent had a Lord of Change, Tzeentch Daemon Prince, Curseling, the aforementioned Warpfire Dragon, 2 x 10 Chaos Warriors, 2 x 10 Acolytes, 1 x 5 Chaos Knights, 2 x 3 Flamers of Tzeentch & 3 x Screechers. So no Gaunt Summoner, no Skyfires and no Pink Horrors...

We used Open War Cards which was a great way to generate a different scenario from the usual matched play ones. Unfortunately for him the game took place at night, limiting his spell& shooting range to 12" (clearly my prayer to Khorne before the battle had been heard!). Without this factor I definitely would have taken first turn and put the banner down however with the spell range unable to hurt me I let him take first turn. He rolled poorly, failing even to cast mystic shield or any other buffing spells he attempted. His troops moved forward towards the central objective but were unable to capture it. The Flamers lit up one unit of knights, killing 3 due to poor save rolling and their shooting attacks doing D3 damage!

My turn, banner down and Slaughterpriest buffs go out, including Killing Frenzy on the  WoK Bloodthirster. Wok gave himself the ability to run and charge. Bloodreavers and Bloodwarriors move towards centre objective. WoK charged the Warpfire dragon and caused 32 wounds... bye bye dragon :-) (with banner and Wrathmongers nearby he had 8 attacks hitting on 2+ with rerolls, wounding on 2+ with -2 rend for D3+2 damage!!!). Knights with glaives and wrathmongers killed one unit of flamers on my left flank (only just, their ability to return 2 models on roll of a 6 if a Tzeentch hero is within 9" is extremely annoying!) while 10 x fleshhounds charge the centre and engage one unit of warriors and the knights, sealing off if not claiming the objective.

Turn 2, Tzeentch won initiative but with the banner down and 36" range he had to reroll successful spells. I used bloodtithe to unbind the first successful spell, he managed double 6's on another spell so that went through but only 1 wound caused. The remaining unit of flamers and the screechers took out the knights and fleshhounds on my right flank but the large unit of hounds supported by the Wrathmongers held the centre, despite the second unit of Tzeentch chaos warriors joining the fray. The Lord of Change charged the Bloodthirster and that went about as well for him as you might expect i.e. he copped the Warpfire Dragon treatment, bye bye Lord of Change :-)

Bottom of turn 2, used Bloodtithe for Crimson Rain, mostly to top up the Bloodthirster to near full health, banner down again but now the Slaughter priests started moving forward, sensing a chance to bloodboil the enemy to victory. The knights on the left flank moved around the back and charged the daemon prince, also engaging the Cursling in the process, the bloodthirster charged the acolytes guarding the objective in Tzeentch territory, the bloodwarriors engaged the screechers and flamers on my fight flank, the Bloodreavers joined the fray in the middle. All combats went my way and once the dust settled only the Cursling, 3 x knights, 5x warriors and a unit of acolytes remained.

I won initiative to start turn 3, bloodboiled the Cursling to death (which must have been especially pleasing for Khorne), freeing up the knight to move onto the Tzeentch objective,the bloodwarriors charged and killed the acolytes while the the rest of my forces finished off the knights and warriors. Opponent tabled before he could take a 3rd turn with objective points very much in my favour. 

Some takeaways...

• You can never predict what someone will take! No Gaunt Summoner/Balewind/Skyfires/Horrors, etc. Still it proved wise to build a list around stopping magic as once Tzeencth is ineffective in the hero phase their game plan can fall apart and Khorne will always prevail in a scrap!;
  • Key to stopping magic was the extended range on the banner courtesy of Gorepilgrims, It can get a little boring however this battalion is so good its very hard not to take.
  • Fleshhounds weren't required to even attempt an unbind however the big unit did a great job holding up the centre while chipping away enough damage. The speed got them into position and support from the bloodsecrator and wrathmongers kept them there. I was happy to have the option and felt that if my opponent had more wizards I would have been ready, especially with the Bloodsecrator's Brazen Rune going unused);
  • Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster wrecks face reliably. Immense Power and Deathdealer are a great combo, especially when he goes after heroes/monsters;
  • It is possible to run an effective Khorne force without bloodletters or a bloodstoker (although I did feel dirty not taking either of these)!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

WoK charged the Warpfire dragon and caused 32 wounds... bye bye dragon :-) (with banner and Wrathmongers nearby he had 8 attacks hitting on 2+ with rerolls, wounding on 2+ with -2 rend for D3+2 damage!!!).

I loved this!! You have just convinced me that the WoK Bloodthirster is my next army addition:)

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Opponent tabled before he could take a 3rd turn with objective points very much in my favour. 

Excellent army list, everything did its job and countered his threat perfectly! Shows Khorne can still compete with the best with a well thought-out list, good in-game tactics and of course, a little bit of luck from the dice Gods. Thanks for the battle report.

Great lists get great results! Excellent job here and very good to consider to kind of tweek the build for other uses too. 

Luckily we certainly have the tools to thake magic punches to the chin :D

Thanks for sharing your insights and photos! Cheers!

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Thanks for the comments guys! Glad you liked it and/or got some tips out of it :-)

Yeah unfortunatly missed the topic before you had the game somehow! Really had a focus on Legions of Nagash for a while but focus on Chaos is still the healtier thing to do ;) 

What I also wonder about is what you'd do for your regular games soon?
- Put the double 5 Blood Warriors together for 10 Blood Warrior single unit?
- Put 5 Fleshhounds and 5 Wrathmongers at the side for 30 Bloodletters?

I really think there is some great advantages from the core concept of the list and with a minimum tweek can really present itself against pretty much any army, especially if they like to focus on Magic offense/buffs.

Cheers,

On 2/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, Killax said:

What I also wonder about is what you'd do for your regular games soon?
- Put the double 5 Blood Warriors together for 10 Blood Warrior single unit?
- Put 5 Fleshhounds and 5 Wrathmongers at the side for 30 Bloodletters?

Normally would definitely have the blood warriors as a unit of 10. Only reason for the split units in this list was battleline requirements  resulting from my last minute swapping out of 10x chaos warriors for the wrathmongers.

To be honest, I am pretty comfortable with just the one unit of 30 x bloodletters in my lists for various reasons. Only 10 are painted and I have 230+ models on the painting shelf so introducing another 30 is not enticing, not to mention they are a ****** to transport! I also like my lists to not be too one dimensional so I like to bring lots of different units, not just for tactical diversity but for general variation.  However in time I wouldn't be surprised if I expanded my bloodletter collection for the types of shenanigans I have seen you proposing (60-90 letters- you evil ******!) :D

Hehehe yeah mixed armies are the coolest. Having said that I think you turned a Tzeentch player Khornate the moment he saw all that anti-Magic teched in ;) Thing is really that not all list I actually play are that 'hardcore' set up, I just usually have a chat with my opponent to be to decide how far I want to thake things. If the intend is to win an event however, lists usually looking very different of what you should play with friends or a casual game in a GW store. To me at least there is quite the difference between them :D 

Archived