Any advice on using flamers?

CyderPirate

Hey everyone, 

I really like flamers but I've not had great luck using them. I've found in units of 3 they die too quickly, but units of 6 draw too much attention. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use them, or what other units to support them?

So far my thinking to avoid being shot first and fried like Greedo I need to either: 

• summon them in, or;
  • have a more threatening unit that will draw the fire first (skyfires, for example)

In the first case, I risk my wizards being murdered before I get any summons off, and I'm limited in where I can place the flamers. In the second case, I'm risking making my entire army shooting - not really what I'm looking for.  It also makes you wonder why I don't just take more of the scarier distraction unit instead of the flamers.

Any advice, or your own experience with flamers/exalted flamers etc would be great, cheers!

If your goal is competitive, don't play with em. But I get your plight as I like them too.

The key with flamers I've found is only taking them when you are up against armies that almost all melee works better. The moment you are up against an enemy with shooting flamers are such an easy kill. Its easier to kill 180pts in flamers than 40pts in brimstones with shooting. 

Also one big thing with flamers is to maximize the MW potential from them.  Which means targeting a different unit with every flamer in the unit. They are NOT the unit you want to use to focus fire something down. Skyfires are simply better at that. But to spread a few chip wounds across several units is where they can do work. Also shooting 1 wound models is optimal so that you can mitigate any risk of the healing mechanic of the fire. 

ALWAYS screen them. If your flamers get charged, you are doing something very wrong with them. Personally I don't like summoning them because not only are you giving up casting power but also risking them not showing up, which for flamers is a bigger deal because they are most effective early game when they can spread around their shots more. 

Cheers for the tips folks!

Sorry, forgot to mention in the first post - not really competitive, just trying to up my game a little bit. They've been nuked off the board straight away whenever I've used them!

I'd actually forgotten that pink horrors can summon them in, too! That opens up a few more options. I don't have to worry too much about shoving the pinks out front to get better options on where to place the flamers, whereas pushing forward with the Curseling or Gaunt Summoner would be extremely risky :S

Aye, sounds like having some warriors or horrors spare to screen/babysit them is a good way to go. 

In my 2k tzeentch deamon army flamers are a very important tool that have helped me lots of time. Bear in mind that really competitive players find this tactic gabage. However I like the way it stresses the enemy..

It takes the Changeling and a unit of 6 flamers also you have to burn a 5 and a 6 of your destiny dice pool.

from the very begining I place the changeling in enemy territory away from anyone that could easily spot and hunt him. Usually my opponent wont spend to much energy chasing him and if he do. It works for me too as there is a plan b to get the flamers. 

Then you play the waiting game leaving your opponent two options either waiting back for the flamers to pop up or option b,  ignore the changeling and move to hunt my advancing army of mulititudinous horrors. Usually my opponent picks B. At the right time I will then summon the 6 flamers in his territory prefeareable in cover or hidden away. This will typically happen at turn 3 as most of his army is far enough to make my opponent consider wether it makes more sense to keep going or go back to stop the flamers from destroying artillery or stealing objectives. Even if my flamers don’t manage to impress on their attack some of the reward is gained from the ambush set on my opponent. Even if my opponent decide to have some really anti flamer stuff hang out in his backfield waiting I can always have one of my heralds summon it or have a unit of horrors summon a herald that summons the flamers. So they can litterally go anywhere fast. Keeping the changeling or herald close also allows for a chance for the flamers to respawn when slain.

Bottom line I pick flamers anyday over skyfires though I know many disagree and the numbers favour the skyfires.

I haven't really looked at using the Changeling before, I'd only seen him used as part of the place-switching shenanigans so didn't bother really looking into it. That looks like a really good way to make use of the flamers, much easier to drop them in on something I really need dead, but might not be able to reach otherwise. (Like Khorne or Seraphon characters).

Archived