Nurgle Maggotkin: Demons ./. Rotbringers - mixed?

Spiny Norman

Hi guys,

I am starting a new 1000 point force and wanted to ask if you think a demon army could bhe expanded with Maggotkin later on or if you think a focus is necessary. I am a competitive player in limits, hence I'm not a fan of unit spam (like 30 Blightkings) on the table.

On the other hand I love the BK model and want to field a little force of them. If I run 10-15 BK's on 2000 points, I was considering that the blight cyst batallion might be too costy and without it the BK's might not pack the punch I wish them to.

For the start I was thinking about this list:

1000 Points:

30 x Plaguebearers

10 x Marauders

3 x Plaguedrones

3 x Plaguedrones

1 x Demon prince / Lord of Chaos on Demonic mount.

but I'm not really satisfied with my choice.

What do you think in general about mixing the Rotbringers / demons? Are the batallions worth it in a splitted army? Is the way to go a full BK list with blight cyst or is a anvil of demons and a strike force of BK still in the tube for an upcoming meta?

Thanks for your kind help.

I think mixing is perfectly valid,  I personally am planning the latter of your predictions. 30 PBs is just such a horrific blob to hold up opponents nasties, which only get nastier with buffs. Couple that with a GUO and some drones, you have some good stuff, but then you squeeze in blightkings, a lord of blights, blight cyst, and a sorceror, and suddenly you are hard to kill and throw out damage. Plus, why limit yourself on models, teh range is gorgeous. I will probably run 3 plague drones, and 2 pusgoyles, purely because they look so good.

3 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

What do you think in general about mixing the Rotbringers / demons?
Are the batallions worth it in a splitted army?
Is the way to go a full BK list with blight cyst or is a anvil of demons and a strike force of BK still in the tube for an upcoming meta?

Thanks for your kind help.

I believe mixing is actually the best option! Your list looks good too :D I believe it's the best option because you present a mix of models that remove each other weakness. Daemons bring the model numbers and insane resilience, Rotbringers bring the elite stompyness. 

The Battalions in MoN are generally really expensive. I believe they are there so you can go mono Daemon or mono Rotbringer. As with more and more armies now, mixing seems to offer more as most Battalions do. I actually believe this is a great and better thing for the hobby.

I believe going with an anvil of Daemons and a hammer of Blightkings is a great plan. That hammer can be Bearers on Drones too and the anvil can be Marauders aswell. 

Go with the models you like the most.

I've kind of got two builds in mind. One is a large daemon only force (though the Sorcerer may find his way into this list), with the bearers as anvil and drones and beasts of nurgle as hammer. I plan to use the beasts with Horticulous because I love that model, and think a GUO attack buff and damage +1 with MW retreats and recharges will work really well.

My other list is a mixed list, still using a GUO and bearers but with a heavy dose of Blightlords, and may include a Blightcyst. I think both options will work really well and am really happy to be able to use both.

50 minutes ago, Killax said:

I believe mixing is actually the best option! Your list looks good too :D I believe it's the best option because you present a mix of models that remove each other weakness. Daemons bring the model numbers and insane resilience, Rotbringers bring the elite stompyness. 

The Battalions in MoN are generally really expensive. I believe they are there so you can go mono Daemon or mono Rotbringer. As with more and more armies now, mixing seems to offer more as most Battalions do. I actually believe this is a great and better thing for the hobby.

I believe going with an anvil of Daemons and a hammer of Blightkings is a great plan. That hammer can be Bearers on Drones too and the anvil can be Marauders aswell. 

Go with the models you like the most.

That's some great news. Marauders I actually just took for battle line and their cheapness, I dont like their aestetics at all honestly! I will avoid them as I can.

I really do like the nurgle models, their rottenness is absolutely gorgeous.

I also had a GUO in mind. Mixing PB's in and drones for a swooping 3 x Sting attacks in combination with a hero and GUO.

The 30 x PB block is just a too good board control option for me to let it slip, so I will try to autoinclude it.

Do you actually think a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (of Nurgle) is suited to run  with the drones? I feel he really hits hard and he's a nurgle daemon so he triggers. A DP is just +20 points more expensive, a caster but lacks the 4++.

I probably will skip the battalions and add in a 10 x BK + Gutrot force, just for deepstrike reasons.

I also wonder if there's a fairly competitive way to squeeze a Maggotlord in. The models are really awesome, I like them more than the GUO actually. Their profiles are a let down though, with Bloab being the best option for damage output?

39 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Well they hit really weakly. Do drones instead if you want to stay on daemons.

I'm not sure I think 2-3 1x beast of nurgle units with a +1 damage and each doing d3 MW on a retreat before charging back in is weak. Maybe it's not the hardest hitting thing ever, but I think it can be pretty fun and effective. The biggest problem is you need to run them as separate units, meaning the GUO can't give them all +1 attacks.

9 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

At 1000 points you could do Double GUO/ Double Blightkings, if one GUO was Rotigus and the other held the Bell, could be tasty?

That's too cheesy, I wanna make friends!  And I can't start my collection with two GUO's.

My expanded 1500k list looks somewhat like this:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

That's quite a lot of mobility I assume. But I don't know if I'm missing out on the GUO and some more Magic options. I don't know if a 5 x BK + Sprume deepstrike force is enough to threaten the backline.

A quick important question :

The Battletome says " The POXBRINGER is a Wizard."

But it misses the Wizard keyword, so it can't choose from the demon lore, right?

20 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

A quick important question :

The Battletome says " The POXBRINGER is a Wizard."

But it misses the Wizard keyword, so it can't choose from the demon lore, right?

I don't know officially, but I believe it's just an accidental omission. It clearly says he's a WIZARD.

30 minutes ago, Yeled said:

I'm not sure I think 2-3 1x beast of nurgle units with a +1 damage and each doing d3 MW on a retreat before charging back in is weak. Maybe it's not the hardest hitting thing ever, but I think it can be pretty fun and effective. The biggest problem is you need to run them as separate units, meaning the GUO can't give them all +1 attacks.

Well they lack rend and for their cost you could take 3 drones that deal 8 attacks each with locus and have some shooting too :)

However feel free to take them and let we know how it goes :)

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

That's some great news. Marauders I actually just took for battle line and their cheapness, I dont like their aestetics at all honestly! I will avoid them as I can.

I really do like the nurgle models, their rottenness is absolutely gorgeous.

I also had a GUO in mind. Mixing PB's in and drones for a swooping 3 x Sting attacks in combination with a hero and GUO.

The 30 x PB block is just a too good board control option for me to let it slip, so I will try to autoinclude it.

Do you actually think a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (of Nurgle) is suited to run  with the drones? I feel he really hits hard and he's a nurgle daemon so he triggers. A DP is just +20 points more expensive, a caster but lacks the 4++.

I probably will skip the battalions and add in a 10 x BK + Gutrot force, just for deepstrike reasons.

I also wonder if there's a fairly competitive way to squeeze a Maggotlord in. The models are really awesome, I like them more than the GUO actually. Their profiles are a let down though, with Bloab being the best option for damage output?

Yeah I would prefer going with the newer ranges in mind. The GUO is amazing in my opinion, just like Bearer Bombs ;) 

I think the Lord on Daemonic mount will do the trick for the Drones but I actually would consider a regular Daemon Prince as an option too. All that flying goodness helps.

If you want to go mixed and can't find a Battalion that doesn't suit you don't worry. I feel Nurgle Wizards are extremely potent and even essential. While many seem to skip on them for Battalions because well, they simply soak up the same ammount of points.

Havn't really had a propper look at the Maggot Lords yet. I just feel the GUO does so much that you might miss out on him. I'll do a quick rundown on the stuff I like the most soon!

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Well they lack rend and for their cost you could take 3 drones that deal 8 attacks each with locus and have some shooting too :)

However feel free to take them and let we know how it goes :)

I will do that. To me the 3d3 MW + other attacks is better than rend. But I will use drones as well. :) 

21 hours ago, Killax said:

Yeah I would prefer going with the newer ranges in mind. The GUO is amazing in my opinion, just like Bearer Bombs ;) 

I think the Lord on Daemonic mount will do the trick for the Drones but I actually would consider a regular Daemon Prince as an option too. All that flying goodness helps.

If you want to go mixed and can't find a Battalion that doesn't suit you don't worry. I feel Nurgle Wizards are extremely potent and even essential. While many seem to skip on them for Battalions because well, they simply soak up the same ammount of points.

Havn't really had a propper look at the Maggot Lords yet. I just feel the GUO does so much that you might miss out on him. I'll do a quick rundown on the stuff I like the most soon!

The GUO is sweet, but at 1.500 I find it so hard to fit him in in a mixed list.

I feel The Plague Drones are needed for speed and a fast hero for triggering their attacks.

Based on our upper discussion I came up with something like this:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1480 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

But I am concearned about the small BK size here, do they hold through? Furthermore I feel that the Lord of Blights suits better than Gutrod, because Gutrod could just deepstrike with 1 unit. With the LoB I can just accelerate with the help of the GUO and a Gnarmawl. LoB and Gutrod are both 140 so they're interchangeable anyways.

Certainly the Drones benefit the most from the GUO +1 attack ability.

Therefore I'm temped to include a 6 model unit over a 3 model one, just to get the most out of them. I mean stick a Demon Prince in, mystic shield them and you got 120 melee attacks; 4+ armor / 5++ save.

18 sting attacks with -1 rend / D3 dmg.

I am not experienced by any means, am I overestimating their use?

8" movement / fly.....maybe skip the DP and mix a LoAfflictions in, wreck havoc?

Considering 1500 Points: Are 6 drones worth skipping on the BK's at all?

It's such a hard choice, because I'm building from zero and want to go all in during my 11 days holiday =)

I like the idea mixing the various Nurgle units

I'm looking at the following as a starter force, built on the idea of the Gardens of Nurgle, for example the Plaguebearers are kitbashed with Dryads as they're diseased Sylvanneth who are slowly becoming trees in the Garden.

Horticulous Slimux (220)

Lord of Blights (140)

5 Blightkings (160)

20 Plaguebearers (240)

20 Plaguemonks (140)

3 Nurglings (100)

The Plaguemonks might seem an odd include but their doom gongs help slow down the incoming enemies a little

The Blight Kings use the Lord to help hit hard and hit at range and then Slimux, the Nurglings and Plaguebearers help take and hold objectives

On 19-1-2018 at 10:30 AM, Spiny Norman said:

Certainly the Drones benefit the most from the GUO +1 attack ability.

Therefore I'm temped to include a 6 model unit over a 3 model one, just to get the most out of them. I mean stick a Demon Prince in, mystic shield them and you got 120 melee attacks; 4+ armor / 5++ save.

18 sting attacks with -1 rend / D3 dmg.

I am not experienced by any means, am I overestimating their use?

8" movement / fly.....maybe skip the DP and mix a LoAfflictions in, wreck havoc?

Considering 1500 Points: Are 6 drones worth skipping on the BK's at all?

It's such a hard choice, because I'm building from zero and want to go all in during my 11 days holiday =)

Yeah they do and this makes them a really budget and scary unit. Budget because 200 for 3 is still easy to include in your army. Scary because Flying units with those attack quantities and resiliences are rather rare.

I believe you could certainly use a Daemon Prince or Lord of Afflicitions to buff them and indeed wreck havoc.
If you feel like skipping on Blight Kings there is no reason not to do so other than considering the inclusion of Gutror Spume. At 140 being able to bring a unit of 10 BK to the flank is a very scary prospect aswell and boils down to a slightly lower cost as 6 Drones + DP/LoA.

There are many good choices in MoN, this certainly makes no awnser a straight yes or no ;) 

Archived