Grots win 4 games at GWGT Heat 1

Skeekrit

Game 4 - Warherd - Starstrike - Major Win

2 Cygor, 2 Doombull, 2 Ghorgon, 3 Minotaurs, 6 Minotaurs, 6 Minotaurs

On paper this is a good match-up for me. Low wound count, very low save (5+) impossible to hide models with limited maneurverability (ie no fast, but no flying) means I should have been able to mob him. I put Spears on left with one spider, Bows in middle, Moonclan on right (with the artillery and other spiders). The Warherd set up with a strong right (so my left) and a weaker left, in the hope that the comets would land kindly. He allowed me to take the first turn and my Moonclan swarmed forward, whilst the artillery took a few wounds off a Ghorgon (due to Cunning Deciever). His turn he ensured his right flank was very strong, and ran most of his army, as well as throwing a Cygor rock at a spider (which missed).

I got the second turn, and the power of my shooting proved itself invaluable. The Gitmob grots did 12 wounds to the left side Ghorgon, and killed a Cygor (with help from the artillery who also severly wounded the second Ghorgon). The moonclan charged the 3 Minotaurs and the Ghorgon and killed them both by the end of turn 2 (with the help of a spider). The comet did appear on my left side though, so I had to leave that for my opponent to pick up the first points (0-2). In his turn he went forward on my left, but failed charge with 6 Minotaurs into my Grot Spears.

Turn 3, and he got the priority roll. Unfortunately both the other comets landed on my left as well... leaving me with a spot of bother and my Moonclan in totally the wrong place and trapped in combat with a Cygor. He charged the spears on my left, who held bravely and killed 4 Minotaurs (with help of a Spider), and his other large unit back-tracked to grab the new fallen comet in his deployment. My spears finished off the Minotaurs in my turn and my artillery started the trek to the left hand side, whilst my Moonclan retreated from combat (through deadly terrain) to try to get closer. The general charged into the Cygor to keep it static. The Gitmob archers also ran to get to the right place on the table.

Turn 4 and he won priority again and I was getting a little nervous. However with the pressure from the archers, the Moonclan and 30 Gitmob Spears (as well as artillery in range), he took an educated risk and moved the unit of 6 Minotaurs to block me, leaving the objective. He then failed 3 run checks to get back to it, and so only scored 4 points. My Gitmob bows then got a spur from my general (11" charge) and capture the middle objective whilst engaging the minotaurs and one hero in combat. The spider on my left charged the Ghorgon (2 wounds left) and the moonclan advanced and released their fanatics.  The minotaurs, hero, and Ghorgon all died leaving me on (11-12) but my opponent with one hero left. In turn 5 I killed it as it charged the 3 fanatics to get points and missed... with everything!

The warherd are a great thematic army but not even tier 2 I would suggest. 5+ armour save and only 2 attacks (albeit a chance to gain more) is not up to scratch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 5 - Ironjawz - Scorched Earth - Major Win

Maw Crusha, Foot Warboss, Warchanter, Shaman, 3 x 3 Gruntas, 5 Brutes, 10 Brutes, 2 Spear Chukkas

I love playing Ironjawz, because you know what you get. Lots of big hitting brutal units and models. Unfortunately I have a lot of wounds and the Gore Gruntas normally get bogged down and then I can beat them (see game 1, GWGT)

I deployed weak on my left (where the Maw Crusha ended up), and strong on my right (albeit near mystical terrain). However stars were the Grot Gitmob bows. The shamans passed every attempt at Sneaky Stabbin' (and failed every attempt at Mystic Shield), but this was the right way round for me, and the reach compared with the Ironjawz was too much. 5 Brutes killed turn 1, the other 5 killed in combat with the Grots. Gore Gruntas bogged down (especially as they had to hold their objectives as well). I did lose my spider on the left, who took 4 wounds from Bolt Throwers turn 1, so ran towards the Maw Crusha to reduce his options and movement for a turn. The fanatics then slowed him for another turn and he was only in combat on turn 4... far too late to make a difference (although he did kill the moonclan eventually, and gained 3 VPs when he burned the objective in turn 5. That made the score close (19-16) as the objectives I burnt in turn 5 gained only 1 point each, but shear weight of numbers did for the Ironjawz.

Not much in the way of tactics from me, just walk forward like a conscript line and mob anything that charges me.

So I ended up on 3 Major wins, and 2 Major losses and 27th place (top half!) which is a significant improvement on last year 58/72). I think I am starting to get the hang of this army, although the tier one armies with all the toys (Kunning Rukk, Tzeentch) are very difficult for me to beat.

However the good thing about being higher up the table is I am playing some good players (at least 5/10 have been to masters) so I think I'm getting better with that experience. A great tournament and highly recommended for 2019 (after I get my ticket of course!)

Thanks for the reports @Skeekrit it's great to hear of someone having fun playing an all grot force, and not getting stomped!

Personally I preferred the greater diversity of the two giants list but it'd be interesting to hear how you felt about dropping them?

And are there any other destruction units you're considering giving a go? I'd *love* trolls and wolf riders & chariots to make an appearance.

I'm doing a Narrative event in February (Rise of Empires) and I will be painting a few Wolf Chariots for that. I'd love the Trolls to be used as well, but can't justify the points when 60 Grots are 270!

The Giants did add something, but unfortunately the Spider Riders were just more resilient and hence took more of the opponents army away (or didn't die). It's useful to have the ability of the Giants but for the armies I struggled against (Rukk & Tzeentch) I much preferred the Spiders. (They taken approx. 90 shots of the Rukk to kill them which is a good amount to soak up.) I'll let you know how Rise of the Empires goes, as I Giant is likely to be back in the army for that...

... only other option I see at the moment is the Spiderfang list as I don't want to go full one Moonclan (unless there is a Tome!!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2018 at 7:58 PM, Returning said:

Nice write up, So what are your thoughts on running more spiders instead of the Giants?

I much prefered the spiders as they were able to soak up a lot of damage. The Giants just worry me with the 1 in 6 inability to charge and no way to mitigate it.

Having said that they are great fun and I've used them in my latest Narrative tournament over the weekend.

On 31/01/2018 at 9:08 PM, Banglesprout said:

Personally I preferred the greater diversity of the two giants list but it'd be interesting to hear how you felt about dropping them?

And are there any other destruction units you're considering giving a go? I'd *love* trolls and wolf riders & chariots to make an appearance.

The Giants are great fun, but just a liability against the armies I struggle against (large mortal wound output, lots of shots). The spiders are better against the first as they can give themselves the 6" 'free' move, use Battle Brew, and pin units. And much better against the second with 4+ rerollable save and ability to benefit from cover.

I'd love to try the trolls as well (River & Stone) - I have some River trolls painted from 8th ed and an unassembled box so could do these - I just need to sign up to some 1 dayer events where I don't mind practicing and losing badly - unfortunately the club near me is still 8th/9th age so no chance to practice.

I tried to get some chariots ready for the event last weekend, but life got in the way, so I didn't get them done. Could be okay as they are relatively cheap... but I don't know what to drop --- I love my horde armies.

Archived