Grots win 4 games at GWGT Heat 1

Skeekrit

Hi All,

I've been asked to post my army list taken in the GWGT heat this weekend. I wanted to take the Grots out to play and fully expected to struggle to 1 win, but managed to get 2 majors, 2 minors and one defeat (last game table 3). Finished in 22nd place and qualified for Final so incredibly happy with the weekend (and amazed)

• Gitmob Grot Shaman (General) - Ravager
  • Gitmob Grot Shaman
  • Grot on Gigantic Spider
  • 60 Moonclan Grots, Spears, 9 Nets, Command
  • 60 Gitmob Grots, Short Bows
  • 20 Gitmob Grots, Spears
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Spear Chukka
  • Spear Chukka
  • Rock Lobber
  • Rock Lobber
  • 3 Fanatics (always in the unit of 60 Moonclan Grots)

1,970 points

(Special thanks to my opponent who voted the army as 'favourite army'. I haven't had a nod on the army/painting front in a very long time.)

-Skeekrit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Skeekrit said:

Hi All,

I've been asked to post my army list taken in the GWGT heat this weekend. I wanted to take the Grots out to play and fully expected to struggle to 1 win, but managed to get 2 majors, 2 minors and one defeat (last game table 3). Finished in 22nd place and qualified for Final so incredibly happy with the weekend (and amazed)

• Grot Shaman (General) - Ravager
  • Grot Shaman
  • 60 Moonclan Grots, Spears, 9 Nets, Command
  • 60 Gitmob Grots, Short Bows
  • 20 Gitmob Grots, Spears
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Spear Chukka
  • Spear Chukka
  • Rock Lobber
  • Rock Lobber
  • 3 Fanatics (always in the unit of 60 Moonclan Grots)

1,970 points

(Special thanks to my opponent who voted the army as 'favourite army'. I haven't had a nod on the army/painting front in a very long time.)

-Skeekrit

I love even just reading this list :)

Game 1 - vs. Ironjawz (Total Conquest) - Minor Win

He had: Cabbage, 20 Ardboyz, Grot Shaman, Warchanter, 2 Doom Divers, 6 Gore Gruntas, 3 Gore Gruntas, 3 Gore Gruntas... move fasta Batallion.

He went first, and had the Cabbage into combat with a spider and 20 Grots on my left flank which killed them. 3 Gruntas charged a Giant, but drew the 2nd one into combat (they were close enough it was unavoidable), and the 6 Gruntas were stopped by the fanatics. 0-3 in objectives. I then counter charged with the Moonclan Grots, shot the Gore Gruntas with the Grots, and all artillery at Cabbage. My Moonclan used pile-in move to get the objective on my right and I got my 'home' one so 3-3.

After that it was even, but my Grots out-fought the Gruntas, one Giant died and the other one went to 9" from the Cabbage to stop the Ironjawz free move. That slowed down Cabbage for me to artillery it off (it was out of Mystic Shield range). Minor win on points as I only lost Giants & Spiders.

Game 2 - Khadaron Overlords (Scorched Earth) - Major Win

Khemist, Frigate, Ironclad, 12 Skywardens, 3 Skywardens, 3 Skywardens, 2 x 10 Arkanaut

I deployed on the left and middle so that the Moonclan could throw out their fanatics if the Overlords attacked. The right had a spider and 20 Grots (all alone again), and the rest of the army on my left. The overlords deployed and then re-deployed... put 3 Skywardens on their right, 10 Arkanauts in the middle, the Frigate on the right and then the Ironclad and everything else attacking the left (my right) and middle.

The 20 Grots died after being shot to death and charged by the Ironclad, and the large Skywarden unit attacked the Moonclan and a Spider in the middle. The Fanatics reduced the number who could attack and the Spider shrugged off most of the attacks. He was 4-0 up and on one of my objectives, but I killed half the Skywardens in my first turn and moved the Giants forwards on the left. 2-4. I won priority, the Giants charged the 3 Skywardens and took the objective, I killed the last of the central Skywardens (large unit of 12) and the Khemist and shot off the Arkanauts guarding the middle objective on his side.

After that he didn't have enough troops to contest all the objectives. He destroyed one on turn 3, (rolling a 3), but I had 4 objectives each turn to his 1, and could have destroyed his two on turn 5. Artillery did for the Ironclad on a few turns as my Grots with Bows were shot over the last 3 turns.

The army has a lot of resistance against the Overlords (especially Moonclan with 4+ save, and the Spiders with 4+ save with re-roll), and they just couldn't cause enough wounds.

Game 3 - Chaos Deamons (Nurgle, Tzeentch, Skyre) (Knife to the Heart) - Minor Win

2 Great Unclean Ones (not new scrolls), 30 Plaguebearers, 10 Plaguebearers, 6 Skyfires, 3 Stormfiends, Warp Lightning, Tzeentch Hero

I decided during deployment to go for the Minor Win with causing more wounds and knew I needed to kill the Skyfires. I was given the first turn and shot one of the GUO (which in retrospect was an error - should have shot Skyfires or Stormfiends). Opponent healed the GUO and shot the Moonclan. I got the priority roll for second turn and after some thought took the first turn. The Moonclan got the 6" move off the General, moved forward and charged the Stormfiends and Skyfires. This locked the Chaos army in place so they couldn't reach my line although he did shoot everything he could into the moonclan but I was left with enough by turn 3 to slow them down again. In my turn 3 the artillery and grots started shooting in a more combined fashion and shot off a GUO and a few skyfires.

Chaos killed a Giant which fell on Giant next to it, but I had by then got up on the points and killed the second GUO and then got the Grots (bows) locked in combat with Inspiring presence. Chaos couldn't eat through them quick enough (Plaguebearers were in at this stage). 120 wounds in the moonclan and grots proved too much and awful rolling from the chaos gave me the minor win.

1 hour ago, Skeekrit said:

Both Gitmob. I need them for the spell on the Gitmob bows, so take 2 in case one is sniped off.

I did wonder, I've been using sneaky stabbing on 20 in my Ironjawz and its vicious. I saw the block of 60 and got a huge evil grin :D 

So its 60 archers at 3s and 4s, -1 rend? Or less than 60 with standard bearers etc? 

Moonclan could only achieve 5s and 5s?  Not gunna be too jealous as I love netters so much :D

I do love your list though, never considered having a spider hero just for throwing out there and getting in fights. Mine just hides in terrain! 

1 hour ago, Fridge_Opener said:

They look like element games cloud trays

They aren't but they are remarkably similar. The place I got them from had to stop! They are essential for such a large army.

54 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

So its 60 archers at 3s and 4s, -1 rend? Or less than 60 with standard bearers etc? 

Moonclan could only achieve 5s and 5s?  Not gunna be too jealous as I love netters so much :D

I do love your list though, never considered having a spider hero just for throwing out there and getting in fights. Mine just hides in terrain! 

Correct on the archers. The standard bearers and musicians have bows as well, so the full 60. They are good with the spell and even better with Damned and/or Mystic. I tend to take a risk on Mystic a lot as it makes them monsters.

Moonclan archers are (unfortunately) rubbish. It's slightly annoying as I have 100 of them painted and based for AOS!

I may have just bought 2 more Spider Riders for Sheffield. I was really impressed with their survivability. Not a huge damage output but can threaten objectives if the artillery shoots off the unit / hero holding them.

2 hours ago, Anaticula said:

This is the picture I understand? :) 

I love the army. Really great work. Please tell me where did you get the trays from?

Thank you. Picture from @SteveWren! Trays similar to element games and ProductsForWargamers do something similar.

13 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

They aren't but they are remarkably similar. The place I got them from had to stop! They are essential for such a large army.

Correct on the archers. The standard bearers and musicians have bows as well, so the full 60. They are good with the spell and even better with Damned and/or Mystic. I tend to take a risk on Mystic a lot as it makes them monsters.

Moonclan archers are (unfortunately) rubbish. It's slightly annoying as I have 100 of them painted and based for AOS!

I may have just bought 2 more Spider Riders for Sheffield. I was really impressed with their survivability. Not a huge damage output but can threaten objectives if the artillery shoots off the unit / hero holding them.

Thanks for this. Any tips on playing fast enough to finish tournament games? I always take 3 hours.... 

20 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Side note, it's actually 61 shots. The Grot boss says he makes 2 attacks rather than 1, since it doesn't specify any specific weapons it applies to all off them including his bow.

I ask as I've never been sure about the rules for leaders and drummers etc.; I have a bunch of spare stnadrd bearers and drummers but they all have spears in their right hands, so I guess I can't put them in an archer unit. Considered having 20 moonclan bowgrots as my final unit. (after 80 with spears). 

5 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I ask as I've never been sure about the rules for leaders and drummers etc.; I have a bunch of spare stnadrd bearers and drummers but they all have spears in their right hands, so I guess I can't put them in an archer unit. Considered having 20 moonclan bowgrots as my final unit. (after 80 with spears). 

From the FAQ:

sadfsd.png.1d5dd7b8a86ac90af658f7c795cf61d0.png

Archived