I'm overthinking painting StD Warriors and Knights

Snakeb1te

Hey! As per the title I'm looking for some tips - and I'd like to paint the C.Warriors and C.Knights as closely as possible to the display pictures (at least with the same colour schemes).

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Warriors-Regiment-2016

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Knights-2016

My references until now are (I can't paste direct URL because of huge embedded video D:

Warhammertv: How to paint a Chaos Warrior

Citadel App

Product page recommended paints (Dirty Black bundle, Steel Paint bundle, Warm Brown Paint bundle e.t.c.)

As far as the black, metallic black and bone goes, they're all rather similar. But all of the guides have brown cloaks, instead of the awesome white colour in the store page.

I'm going to be buying 2 warrior boxes, 1 knight box and 1 chaos lord box all in one go. But I'm having trouble deciding on the paints to begin with. Can anyone help me out? I suppose going through the warhammertv guide is best, except for the brown on the cloak.

TLDR: I think I have an idea for the paints I need for most of the model - but I really want to recreate the pale white of the cloak (with highlighting and shading). Does anyone know which paints I'd need for the scheme shown on the storepage?

Thank you for the suggestion GeneralZero - actually I've already combed the entire GW range many times and have decided I want exactly 30 warriors, 10 knights and 1 Chaos Lord for my 1k army :). I have no interest in extra knights, the sorceror or the chariot at this time. Also that box only provides 12 models for warriors.

Two packs of warriors would give me 32, and as I planned for 30, those two would be for experimenting on/bitz.

2 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Is Ushabti bone the right colour to start with?

Any colour can be a base colour, it's just that you might need an extra layer or two of "Layer" paint than "Base" paint since they have a slightly lower pigment count.

That white, however, looks more like a Rakarth Flesh base to me. It's not yellow enough to be one of the bone colours. Shade with Agrax, highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh.

Also what would be the difference in this case, between Agrax and Seraphim Sepia?

Agrax is a dark, cold brown wash. Seraphim Sepia is a warmer midtone brown wash. Both very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived