GUO or Rotigus

Kertie

I just picked up my great unclean one yesterday and was wondering people's opinions on the different weapon choices. I noticed a lot of people leaning towards the bell/blade I think I read, but what about Rotigus? And what would you all use the different choices for? Ie. Melee or ranged. 

I've seen people magnetizing their guo but o don't think you can magnetize the belly? I haven't inspected the sprue yet though so I could be wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

I like them both, the main problem that I have is that I like their painting also. And Rotigus is well painted very differently than the GUO, still being in the weirdy look of disgusting nurgle while more pale and pink. That the way I'd like them to stand in my army. So, idealy, get them both.

Most players math analyzers out there are now speaking about GUO+bell first. dunno, its really soon to decide.  For the look, I'd go Bell first, and get a rotigus later.  For the math, it really depends on the way you want to play nurgle...

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I like them both, the main problem that I have is that I like their painting also. And Rotigus is well painted very differently than the GUO, still being in the weirdy look of disgusting nurgle while more pale and pink. That the way I'd like them to stand in my army. So, idealy, get them both.

Most players math analyzers out there are now speaking about GUO+bell first. dunno, its really soon to decide.  For the look, I'd go Bell first, and get a rotigus later.  For the math, it really depends on the way you want to play nurgle...

I think I will go with the rule of cool and build Rotigus. I don't really play competitively so he will be great for what I need him for and that's having fun. I haven't quite got into the mathhammer yet and I love the look of Rotigus.

Thanks for your input!

Certainly have fun with Rotigus then! I think the reason why Id go GUO is because of custom options, which make it cooler for me. But since the kit comes with everything magnetizing is the best idea! The belly of Rotigus can easily be used for the regular GUO and the other way around. The only things that really matter is wargear and head.

Oh man now I don't know again. I will have to crack open the box tonight and really see how it goes together. If I can magnetize everything including the stomach I will do that for sure. I'm really curious about the different play styles of each gear option. 

Looks like the other projects are getting put on hold again!

12 minutes ago, Killax said:

Id say one big difference is that Rotigus is a backfield model and GUO front field, might help.

I'm not so sure about that.

340 points is a hell of a back field. Rotigus has some nasty effects in short range. Sure, you'd be better covering him a bit. But he seems to be a beast.  His magic is the only really long range but needs the LOS.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG-Rotigus.pdf

I'm enclined to use him agressively. Maybe I wrong B|

11 minutes ago, Killax said:

Id say one big difference is that Rotigus is a backfield model and GUO front field, might help.

Yeah, I think they are both great, but fill very different battlefield roles. I am going to make a regular GUO with magnetized weapons and hold off on Rotigus for now. GUO buffs your army a lot more than Rotigus so I see GUO as more core. Rotigus is an artillery piece that sits in the back. I'll look to get another GUO down the line so I can field both, but I think I'll use a GUO in just about every battle I play with Nurgle so GUO is priority.

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm not so sure about that.

340 points is a hell of a back field. Rotigus has some nasty effects in short range. Sure, you'd be better covering him a bit. But he seems to be a beast.  His magic is the only really long range but needs the LOS.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG-Rotigus.pdf

I'm enclined to use him agressively. Maybe I wrong B|

Well he doesnt need cover, other than distance, thats my thake on it. His spell is slowely back breaking and due to it having no range its great to maximize this way.

In addition there is a good reason to have the GUO closer. Again his spells, bell and command trait at least wants it closer to the frontline.

Cheers,

yes, but my point is that I feel that Rotigus can be used also more agressively: pairing with GUO, or Pairing with Glotkin, he could be  maxed out.

And if the table has too many items that block the LOS, Rotigus on the backfield won't probably do much...

You are the pro here, I'm speculating :$

11 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

yes, but my point is that I feel that Rotigus can be used also more agressively: pairing with GUO, or Pairing with Glotkin, he could be  maxed out.

And if the table has too many items that block the LOS, Rotigus on the backfield won't probably do much...

You are the pro here, I'm speculating :$

Not pro at all, just experience with stuff. Just use it however you want!

As before my bias to the GUO comes from prefering melee positions anyway. Plus generally prefering to flesh out a general first. Nurgle stuff is expensive as is!

Rotigus can fend himself for certain though I do think enough will still be in his LoS but what I really like is that he can focus on his spell and cycle manipulation so opponents are drenced in D3 mortal wounds per unit. Which leads to something giving out.

Although Rotigus' spell is certainly useful, it has one major issue and that is casting value 7. Lot of people say stuff like "just keep him in back and spam his spell" but outside of arcane terrain, there is no way to boost his casting and I've played multiple games where wizard has failed his 7 casting value spell every single turn. Now this doesn't mean he is bad, he has solid melee stat and when his spell goes off, it's potentially very destructive, but keeping him in the back is very foolish imo. You want artillery, get some plagueclaw catapults, not Rotigus.

Thanks for all the input guys! 

I'm more inclined to get into melee combat than leaving the big guy in the back hoping spells pop off. I like the thrill of the battle! So I'm going to go for the guo and magnetize the arms and heads but probably go for the bell. 

R

10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

No need to magnetize the stomach. That is purely aesthetic. also, I don't think the head would make a difference either

The GUO has 2 heads (bare heads), but the Rotigus has a very different hooded head. You can make it colored very distinctly from the GUO. It is the head that make Rotifus so identifiable. So, in tourney, maybe it counts...

5 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

R

The GUO has 2 heads (bare heads), but the Rotigus has a very different hooded head. You can make it colored very distinctly from the GUO. It is the head that make Rotifus so identifiable. So, in tourney, maybe it counts...

Well, I'd say it's mostly the weapon loadout that is the deciding factor (twig/bare hand or not), but still nothing magnetisation cannot fix.

I'd prioritize GUO as it can really up the power of your army as a whole with it's command ability, Bilesword and Bell. Where Rotigus comes in is if you are looking to do a 'Rain of Filth' list, where you are trying to maximize your Mortal Wound output. Maggotkin is a very interesting army, as it hits all the points for a top tier competetive army: Resilient, Speed, Board control. These things may have been pointed out already, I've been trying to digest the book in a vacuum so I don't get a tainted opinion and can hopefully find some different tricks/synergies that weren't thought of yet :)

41 minutes ago, Dez said:

I've been trying to digest the book in a vacuum so I don't get a tainted opinion and can hopefully find some different tricks/synergies that weren't thought of yet :)

Exact, though in that same vacume there are more routes to build and test a GUO as there is Rotigus.

As such I typically would advice any Great Daemon fan to experiment with the non named character first. Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, Lord of Tzeentch or Great Unclean One ;) 

On 14.01.2018 at 3:07 PM, Kertie said:

I just picked up my great unclean one yesterday and was wondering people's opinions on the different weapon choices. I noticed a lot of people leaning towards the bell/blade I think I read, but what about Rotigus? And what would you all use the different choices for? Ie. Melee or ranged. 

I've seen people magnetizing their guo but o don't think you can magnetize the belly? I haven't inspected the sprue yet though so I could be wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Since you mentioned it, I think I would like to discourage you from magnetizing the kit. You are right that magnetizing belly may be tricky. And most probably, you will rarely switch options in practice.

I am slightly biased against magnetizing miniatures because I had bad experiences with that in the past. It simply takes a lot of practice (and wasted kits, worst case...) to do it perfectly. And even when I achieved desired result, I was still dissatisfied, because the miniature lacked personality, you know? It is not practical either. So last time I did it I ended up demagnetizing the miniature and buying another one to go for the alternative variant. And with another miniature (Verminlord actually) I now own 3 different sets (not counting the original one from 90s and FW one lol), all of which are painted. I know this is a hard way, but nevertheless my recommendation is to choose the one you like more (for me the classic oldschool GUO would be a first choice, because of the appearance and because it is so classic) and then, if you still want it, go for the second kit (like in January's WD battle report - GUO + Rotigus). Actually, there are also some economies of scale in doing so. You will know how to paint the stuff and the second one will go faster;)

Hope this lengthy elaboration is useful! In any case, I wish you good luck with your deamon!:)

P.S. Let us know about your choice!

Sorry I haven't replied to any messages so far, works been crazy and haven't had time to much in the way of hobbying. I did pick up the next batch of nurgle preorders on Saturday so I'm super excited for that! 

I've been thinking long and hard about the guo and I've decided to not magnetize him and just go with the bell and blade as is the going idea (meta?) Not just for the gameplay advantages but to get him on the table and stop procrastinating.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I was seriously going to attempt the magnetizing but seeing Terry Pike's videos I noticed the green stuff and haven't yet played with that too much besides filling small gaps and bubbles in resin. So I decided to not try something new on a big expensive model and then have to fix things if I mess something up. 

All this being said I'm gathering my rotfilled army slowly but surely and will amass a disgusting force to be reckoned with! At least one to compete with my wife's sylvaneth and sce army haha

I took a GUO with Bile sword and dagger in a game the other day (my arm was already very fast so didn’t need the bell). He also took the endless gift daemonic boon and was MVP in a 2500pts 3 way.

He dished out quite a lot of wounds killing 2 units of hunters and a unit of dryads. Throughout the battle he took approximately 30 wounds, but by the end of the battle he had suffered only 4 wounds! 

The dagger was great as it meant favoured poxes went off most turns (apart from being unblinded twice). This spell was amazing and it blunted the destructive potential of some key enemy units.

Archived