Using the Woodland scenery as Nurgle trees ok?

JonnyTheKing

Hey, just curious as to whether using each woodlands tree from the set of 3 as a Nurgle version to save money would be acceptable in tournaments? (As to run the menagerie battalion you probably need about 10 or so and god no to paying that much for those amount of trees) The idea would be to convert each of the trees with greenstuff/paint jobs to look like they are infested by Nurgle to be used with the rules of the Gnarlmaw.

Thoughts would be welcome!

It completely depends on your TO if he allows it. 

Personally I wouldn't accept it because especially in AoS it's a very functional model in the way it is from GW. The moment you make it larger or smaller I would actually dislike it. Like I would dislike making a random general on dragon larger or smaller as it allready is.

So for me ideally the players would use the GW actual model. Just with the rest of their AoS army miniatures.

You'd have to use 2 or 3 of those trees to get the same sort of bulk as the Fecculant Blightmaw anyway, so it won't really save on costs

Worth doing to introduce some model variety into the mix though, but possibly you'll run into issues at tournaments depending on their conversion policies

I can see why TO's may want the actual FG model used, however the woodland trees could be an acceptable sub if modeled to look Nurglish and importantly on the right base size, plus they are more cost effective!!

WHW events allow conversions as long as it's a GW model, and you've checked with them first. I'd suggest having the right base size would be insisted upon if you took them to a WHW event?

2 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

I'd suggest having the right base size would be insisted upon if you took them to a WHW event?

They have no base however. Which is why I'm more pressed to use the GW model for that matter.

Same really applies to scratch building stuff. If it's not done well enough and has the same dimensions as the actula Ferulent Gnarlmaw it's easy to lead to problems. Especially because many events still adhere to some form of true LoS. It's this that actually makes the Blight Tree quite relevant. The bigger they are the more powerful they are.

1 minute ago, Killax said:

They have no base however. Which is why I'm more pressed to use the GW model for that matter.

Same really applies to scratch building stuff. If it's not done well enough and has the same dimensions as the actula Ferulent Gnarlmaw it's easy to lead to problems. Especially because many events still adhere to some form of true LoS. It's this that actually makes the Blight Tree quite relevant. The bigger they are the more powerful they are.

I guess the Menagarie list is out the window then for now :P

Ive seen a picture comparison of the Gnarlmaw vs a Wildwood tree, and the Wildwood tree is the same size if not slightly bigger. Cut the base into 3 pieces, trim it to the same foot size and do some conversion work to make it Nurgly, and you have 3 very good representations of a Gnarlmaw. Id say youd want a few Gnarlmaw if your planning lots of tress, just so your opponent can  obviously see there is no size difference when you are playing, but otherwise i cant see it being an issue now ive seen them side by side.

FWIW, I made several of my own Gnarlmaws. I have a GW one and traced out the size of the base of the model (it doesn't come with a separate base, as noted) so I had the same footprint as the GW model. I then modeled a tree which is about the same size as the GW model more or less. I did this to add character to my figs and to create more diversity in the look of the trees. I'd recommend making sure that whatever you do matches the footprint of the GW model as closely as possible as that is really what affects gameplay. The ability of the model to affect LOS is a lessor issue, just make sure your model doesn't block more LOS than the GW one. If you do a nice job with the modeling and it is clear you aren't trying to pull some shenanigans most TOs will be cool with it, based on my experience. 

This is not targeted at anyone on this forum.  I've seen a lot of Sylvaneth Wyldwood conversions on Twitter and I wanted to share my opinion.

Once you start allowing one person's conversion you are opening the floodgates for everyone else.  

I have yet to see a decent conversion BTW. 

This is a premium hobby with beautiful models that come at a high price point to justify their quality.

When you use a substitute model that pales in comparison you are having a negative impact on the hobby in multiple ways. 

1. You are detracting from the quality of your opponents experience by using a far less quality model.

2. You are disrespecting your fellow Nurgle players who have exercised their respect for the high quality of this hobby by spending the money and time to purchase and produce the appropriate model.  It really is a beautiful kit!

3. You are having a negative impact on the image of the game for new players.

4. If you argue that it is no different than any other conversion you are being disingenuous.  Well done conversions for units/characters are generally a labor of love to add some individual artistic originality to an already amazing model.  In contrast, using a cheaper lesser model that looks nothing like the real thing and trying to pawn it of as an equal substitute to help yourself win games is self serving and rude.

I think conversions are okay if the count-as has the same dimensions and is somewhat well done. (the former being the more important for me personally)

Sadly, many "conversions" tend to be just a random assembly of bits/modelling supplies drowned in nihilakh oxide or something else.

Was thinking about this, bought both kits and yeah, you can't make the trees into a good Gnarlmaw, but what you can do is create a Nurgle themed proto Gnarlmaw with some bits from kits like the Zombies and Plaguebearers.

One other cool use of the Citadel Wood is to make up 50mm bases with mini diaorama like forgotten shrines, cavorting Nurglings in a pool of slime etc. Those swap out nicely for the trees and easily swapped

On 1/20/2018 at 11:36 AM, Krieger said:

This is not targeted at anyone on this forum.  I've seen a lot of Sylvaneth Wyldwood conversions on Twitter and I wanted to share my opinion.

Once you start allowing one person's conversion you are opening the floodgates for everyone else.  

I have yet to see a decent conversion BTW. 

This is a premium hobby with beautiful models that come at a high price point to justify their quality.

When you use a substitute model that pales in comparison you are having a negative impact on the hobby in multiple ways. 

1. You are detracting from the quality of your opponents experience by using a far less quality model.

2. You are disrespecting your fellow Nurgle players who have exercised their respect for the high quality of this hobby by spending the money and time to purchase and produce the appropriate model.  It really is a beautiful kit!

3. You are having a negative impact on the image of the game for new players.

4. If you argue that it is no different than any other conversion you are being disingenuous.  Well done conversions for units/characters are generally a labor of love to add some individual artistic originality to an already amazing model.  In contrast, using a cheaper lesser model that looks nothing like the real thing and trying to pawn it of as an equal substitute to help yourself win games is self serving and rude.

What pretentious BS. Nobody is downgrading the experience if you use conversions. That's utter high horse bull ******. Conversions have been a VITAL part of this hobby since its inception.. and to say that someone is "disrespecting" other players for conversions is pure elitism. Whether its for economic reasons or taste or because that person likes converting models.. it doesnt matter. 

Anyways... The Citadel woods single tree is quite a bit smaller than the FG. You would NEED to match the dimensions of the "base" of the FG as close  as possible and clearly define it as a "nurgle tree" IMO. That is no easy feat! And will take a clear vision to pull off!  I love the model except for the tube tentacles. I bought three because where I would LOVe to convert my own.. my hobby backlog is ridiculous right now and I wanted to get playing with these but you bet your butt I am making some in the future!

My own opinion is that if you've made some attempt at converting something and it roughly matches the size ("base" and girth, height) then I see no reason it's an issue.  If on the other hand you're plonking down a bright green Lego tree then that's a No (capital N).

Looking at picture of the box above, I'd say that a Stormcast can hide behind it fairly comfortably, I'd say that they wouldn't be able to with a regular Citadel tree, so some effort is going to need to be made to match them. 

Archived