What is Warhammer Underworlds and Shadespire resp.

Goblin-King

So the game we all love is called

Warhammer Underworlds
S H A D E S P I R E

Can anyone elaborate what exactly these titles mean?
Is the game rules called Warhammer Underworlds just like Warhammer Quest? Shadespire being the "Silvertower" aka the setting of the "campaign" of this particular box or "season".
Could we get a new box called Warhammer Underworlds: Mordheim (or whatever)?
Or is WHU the setting/brand and Shadespire is the game rules?
Or is the entire game simply called WHU:SS?

My assumption is that the game is called Warhammer Underworlds.  GW has already stated (I believe) that there will be more game boards released.  This makes me assume that in another yearish another core product will be released called "Warhammer Underworlds: (insert city name)".  This new core product will come with 2 new warbands, new boards, and probably updated rules.   However, the warbands from shadespire I'd assume will still be useable.

This is also under the assumption that the game continues to sell.  As long as its popular, GW should continue to support the game.

On 14/01/2018 at 5:27 AM, CodFather said:

My assumption is that the game is called Warhammer Underworlds.  GW has already stated (I believe) that there will be more game boards released.  This makes me assume that in another yearish another core product will be released called "Warhammer Underworlds: (insert city name)".  This new core product will come with 2 new warbands, new boards, and probably updated rules.   However, the warbands from shadespire I'd assume will still be useable.

I had thought this too. I thought Warhammer Underworlds was maybe "the system" and Shadespire was "the release." Since the website is https://warhammerunderworlds.com/ rather than Shadespire.com that made sense. But, actually, changing the setting will change the whole game. We also know that the planned expansion packs (total of 8 warbands) will complete the deck. We also know some cards are Shadespire related.

I think there is a chance that we'll see a second box containing two warbands (the other Khorne and other Stormcast) and more boards and this could be called Warhammer Underworlds: Retribution (or something) but it'll still be based in Shadespire.

Failing that, I think we might see more Warhammer Underworlds: (insert game name) to sort of unify a brand. Like a Mordhiem re-release might come under Warhammer Underworlds.

Finally, I don't think we should underestimate how much flux there is at GW at the moment and there might not actually be a very clear plan!

On 13-1-2018 at 9:30 PM, Goblin-King said:

So the game we all love is called

Warhammer Underworlds
S H A D E S P I R E

Can anyone elaborate what exactly these titles mean?
Is the game rules called Warhammer Underworlds just like Warhammer Quest? Shadespire being the "Silvertower" aka the setting of the "campaign" of this particular box or "season".
Could we get a new box called Warhammer Underworlds: Mordheim (or whatever)?
Or is WHU the setting/brand and Shadespire is the game rules?
Or is the entire game simply called WHU:SS?

What it means so far is that Warhammer Underworlds has been indentified as it's own game system, like Warhammer Quest or even Blood Bowl. In some of these cases a specific expansion name is attached. In our case this is Shadespire.

I think it's possible that we will see a Warhammer Underworlds in a differen area. I doubt we will go to Mordheim because Mordheim was its own system. It's still possible but I find the chances unlikely.

The short for it currently is WU:S (Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire).

39 minutes ago, Goblin-King said:

What makes you think this? Wouldn't it be easy to just swap the setting/fluff, but basically change nothing else?

Would love to know this aswell. As there is nothing currently in the rules that really attaches itself to Shadespire altogether.

There are cards and visual ques who fit Shadespire and that can change. E.g. there is no reason why Shadeglass couldn't be Aqshystone.

Yep. Game is Warhammer Underworlds . 

Note the plural. 

We'll see other locations,  but that doesn't mean the system changes. 

Also,  note the glowing glass-ish symbol and numbers on all the cards.  There is a definite "end" to Shadespire.  A new symbol makes it easy,  if they want,  for GW to make clear dividing lines.  For instance,  tournaments could say "no blue or orange symbol cards allowed" or whatever. 

I highly doubt the existing warbands can be used in the "second season" of WH: Underworlds.

It would be a nightmare balancing-wise and would extremely limit the designspace of future Underworlds games.

There might be upgrade packs/decks for Shadespire warbands some time in the second season, but I doubt even that.

As disheartening as this sounds, but I think the shadespirestuff is doomed to just gather dust, once the next Warhammer: Underworlds is released.

I dunno. It easily sets itself up for a MTG style format - Modern, Legacy, etc. I could easily see it being something like, most recent 2 versions of WHU are legal for "Modern" (so Shadespire + second Underworld, and then Shadespire rotates out for 2nd + 3rd), but you can run event s that are "Legacy" and be able to use any Warband.

Alternatively, they could make it so the models never cycle out, and start selling cards separately for each expansion. Like, Steelheart's Champions go to the next Underworld but they have new cards and don't have access to the ones from Shadespire. That way, you have to keep buying to keep up (which is pretty much guaranteed), but you won't have to chuck your models at the end of the year.

Either way, we won't know for at least another 10 months or so, maybe even longer.

I think it's too early to speculate. It could be MtG style where new stuff regularly comes out and is rotated.
Or it could be Blood Bowl/Classic Necromunda style where new stuff is just added to the pool - Which I would strongly prefer.

But I don't think all of it will stay forever. Updates and new editions will probably arrive eventually.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of rotation down the line, but I don't think they'd release all of this product only to completely set it aside immediately and start over with only two factions again. Perhaps when (if?) season 3 drops, season 1 will rotate out. This would still allow for the Legacy format mentioned above and shake up the game without resetting it completely each year or so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2018 at 12:43 PM, Goblin-King said:

What makes you think this? Wouldn't it be easy to just swap the setting/fluff, but basically change nothing else?

Because the current warbands, decks and boards are linked to the city of Shadespire. I usually think of games as being more defined by their fluff, rather than by their crunch. So, in this case, I was saying you can't change the fluff and call it Shadespire.

I think you're saying the format and rules can be ported to a new setting, with new warbands, decks and boards. Or, to give another example, they could have called "Necromunda: Underhive" "Underhive: Necromunda" and later released "Underhive: Armageddon" with the same crunch but new Houses, minis and tactics cards.

Having now read the rest of the thread that makes a lot of sense, but I wasn't looking at it from the crunch/system first perspective when I posted :D

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, Goblin-King said:

I think it's too early to speculate. It could be MtG style where new stuff regularly comes out and is rotated.
Or it could be Blood Bowl/Classic Necromunda style where new stuff is just added to the pool - Which I would strongly prefer.

But I don't think all of it will stay forever. Updates and new editions will probably arrive eventually.

I've been thinking about this a lot, as it's marketed as a competitively oriented game, GW are going to have some choices to make after season 1.   Realistically they need to keep all warbands useable, but you can't expect people to have to buy 10+ expansions to compete once you get into whatever the second 'season' is.  Think they will need to do some sort of rotation like they do in hearthstone standard and other similar games (at least for organised play), perhaps keeping all warband specific cards in play but rotating out generic cards each season? I can't really think of a better way of keeping the balance between ... balance, and accesibility

I'm really hopeful that this game will be around for the long run. I do hope though that if a new season swings around, that the old warbands will still be useable in the new setting, as well as old cards. I kind of like the idea of an evolving/growing game.

2 hours ago, BobbyB said:

I've been thinking about this a lot, as it's marketed as a competitively oriented game, GW are going to have some choices to make after season 1.   Realistically they need to keep all warbands useable, but you can't expect people to have to buy 10+ expansions to compete once you get into whatever the second 'season' is.  Think they will need to do some sort of rotation like they do in hearthstone standard and other similar games (at least for organised play), perhaps keeping all warband specific cards in play but rotating out generic cards each season? I can't really think of a better way of keeping the balance between ... balance, and accesibility

I think that at the end of a season they can just do something along the lines of a deck/card set with reprints of all the best cards of the previous season, so new players can pick up a warband + that deck and have everything they need to build a good deck. If they really need a specific card, they can always just go and buy that box.

If this really is a new "here to stay" sister game along AoS and 40k - a few things are given.

They'll have to keep making new cards and new warbands. If people could go out and buy "everything" and then never have to make another purchase again, the game would eventually grow stale - And that, along with lack of new sales would be bad for GW. They WILL either keep producing new stuff or terminate the game.

So let's assume they keep producing new stuff. Can they keep making all the old warbands? 5 years from now, can you still buy a pack of Garrek's Reavers in some form?
Could we imagine just "warscrolls" for OOP miniatures?
And what about old cards? In the trash? I personally like Kugane's suggestion of making some sort of reprint legacy card pack.

I could also imagine some sorts of different formats like in MtG. Current rotation cards - or Legacy format.

@Goblin-King there has been no road map released to what will happen once this cycle is over. My assumption (and not this is mine point of view), is that we will get new core sets each year and then a release of warbands for that core set. So with the current one, we are near the end as only have two more warbands to come out (The Farstriders and Magore's Fiends). So I'm expecting those to come out around May sort of time and then a new core set around September/October. I'm expecting with the new core set all the universal cards to get revised to help keep the game moving.

No one has said exactly what is what, but there is some info thst we have. 

While the shadespire deck has a set number. We also can see on each of the shadespite cards that they all have a Shade spire Sybil either just around the number or in the top right of the warban d cards. 

While the cards of shadespire are abit specific to the shadespire the location. In the same way magic cards have also always been based on a specific location or set of races. It is not unreasonable to believe that what ever the next expansion could be that it could also permit using the shadespite cards on top of what ever cards are availbe. 

I think the makers of shadespire, and he themselves would like to let shadespire be it's own system. That said it has to sell well to get continued support.

They've said on a couple of occasions (the one I can vouch for being the b&g seminar) that they have a lot planned for shadespire, So i would assume that goes beyond the first 'season', so hopefully they'll give it a decent run before they make any decisions about its future

Archived