Building a Tzeentch List for a Young Player who Lacks Finesse

Yeled

Hi all. I've got a question that's a bit different and I could use your help. I've gotten my two young sons (13 and 11) involved in AoS. The 11 year old loves chaos, and his favorite faction is Tzeentch. He is really into the magic, the shenanigans, the transmutations, etc.

Problem is, he's young and isn't really that experienced in playing a finesse game. Before Tzeentch got its update last year he was playing a mixed chaos allegiance with mostly Slaves to Darkness, Varanguard, little Archaon, and Khorne daemons. Because this was a close combat army with tougher models it was fairly forgiving if he got a little out of position. Tzeentch doesn't work that way, though. It's a more fragile army that can get rolled if you just charge in like he's used to doing.

So I'm asking for your help. I'm looking for ideas of Tzeentch lists that incorporate the great things about a Tzeentch list (the magic shenanigans, the transmutations, the speed and shooting) but that is maybe a little more forgiving for a young player. Obviously this isn't for tournaments so it doesn't have to be hyper competitive. I just want to help him build a good list that is fun, and that makes him competitive when he's playing the small group of friends we mostly play with.

Initially, my early concepts are something like:

• LoC
  • Blue Scribes
  • Gaunt Summoner
  • Tzaangor Shaman
  • Changeling

• 10x Chaos Warriors
  • 5x Chaos Warriors
  • 10x Pink Horrors
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Tzaangor Enlightened
  • Mutalith Vortex Beast

I figured the chaos warriors could screen and the Vortex Beast is fun and fairly tough.  I'd love to get his varanguard into the list somehow, or some Tzaangors who could take advantage of all the wizards, but I find it fairly difficult. Plus this list leaves no room for summoning. I'm sure more experienced Tzeentch players than me can come up with something better. Thanks for your help!

If hes looking for close combat, use a unit of thirty tzaangors near a tzaangor shaman as a large and effective battering ram. If you equip them all with paired weapons, they are making five attacks each:

5/3+/3+/-/1

I know a 12 year old boy who uses that technique with enjoyment and success

3 hours ago, S133arcanite said:

If hes looking for close combat, use a unit of thirty tzaangors near a tzaangor shaman as a large and effective battering ram. If you equip them all with paired weapons, they are making five attacks each:

5/3+/3+/-/1

I know a 12 year old boy who uses that technique with enjoyment and success

Thanks. I don't know if it's about close combat so much as being able to survive poor positioning. Based on your recommendation, what do you think about the following:

• LoC
  • Blue Scribes
  • Changeling
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • Tzaangor Shaman

• 30x Tzaangors
  • 10x Pink Horrors
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Tzaangor Englightened

This list is 10 pts too expensive, but conceptually it has that hard hitting Tzaangor unit. I think defensively it's a little weaker/more frail, though. I put in the ogroid thaumaturge just to provide a little muscle.

17 hours ago, Yeled said:

Thanks. I don't know if it's about close combat so much as being able to survive poor positioning. Based on your recommendation, what do you think about the following:

• LoC
  • Blue Scribes
  • Changeling
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • Tzaangor Shaman

• 30x Tzaangors
  • 10x Pink Horrors
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Skyfires

This list is 10 pts too expensive, but conceptually it has that hard hitting Tzaangor unit. I think defensively it's a little weaker/more frail, though. I put in the ogroid thaumaturge just to provide a little muscle.

In all honesty, thats almost the same list my friend has!

On 1/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Yeled said:

• LoC
  • Blue Scribes
  • Changeling
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • Tzaangor Shaman

• 30x Tzaangors
  • 10x Pink Horrors
  • 3x Skyfires
  • 3x Skyfires

Remember for that size points game you will still need 3 battleline units :) 
So will need to find a way to squeeze one in and drop something else out 

Archived