Help me speed painting a skaven horde…

Ferrus65

For my return to AOS I’m assembling a large skaven army (clan verminus theme, so maany rats!), of 120 clanrats and 40 stormvermins, and I don’t like the sad grey of unpainted miniatures.

So I need to find the speedest way for give my little rats a reasonable, decent table-game look in the short time possible withouth being crazy .

I was thinking:

• Body and robes  - a decent primer with some washes (I have the classic GW chaos black, or a Tamiya matt white one, bu I could even consider buying an Army Painter coloured one)

• Shields and weapons - painted and washed

• Bases – painted and finished

In this way, I could put on the table the army in a short time, and slowly (very slowly, I really have short times for hobby) finish the painting process, withouth using for mounths unpainted miniatures.

Any suggestion? What are other skaven or horde players doing?

White primer (or zenithal priming, if you want to get fancy) with washes or glazes is definitely the fastest way to paint hordes. Just make sure you get good coverage on your primer so there are no bald spots underneath or behind bits that stick out. You could drybrush highlights on fur, metal and other highly textured areas if you wanted.

My own army is a horde army, but I'm purposefully not taking any "shortcuts" with my painting. Since I don't actually play AoS (yet, at least), there's no rush for me to get a painted army and I just want to enjoy the painting process. It takes me about 7-10 days to do a batch of 5 guys from primed to complete, so I'll be painting for a long while myelf... however, if I did want to do it faster, that's the method I'd use.

How about that new green nurgle spray as a base colour, then paint all the skin, belts, shields, weapon handles the same mid-brown (hopefully one coat), paint the weapons and shield rims silver, use a texture paint on the bases, and then shade everything at once with one all-over coat of agrax earthshade?

Would probably work with some of the other spray colours too, e.g. mephiston red etc.

I painted over two hundred clanrats recently with the following method:

1. Prime mournfang brown

2. Use two base colours to paint cloth areas (I varied this by unit so I could differentiate them easily)

3. Paint the metal with Gehenna gold and lead belcher, the straps, teeth and claws zandri dust and the flesh round the face, tail and hands bugman's glow. The spear shafts and pouches are painted dryad bark.

4. Wash the whole thing with Agrax

5. Pick out the eyes with mephiston red and give the face a quick highlight of cadian fleshtone

Archived