I'm lost choosing THE faction

I'm almost in the same boat as you...except that I did some research.

I wanted: 

1. an army that is visually  appealing to me. 

2. not sure about the strategy yet because of not used to the rules yet enough. But I like movments, with support

3. an army versatile enough to learn and try many things before investing time and money into a super typed army.

After checking everything, one argument was also in the balance: easy enough to learn to enjoy the game.

Despite I quite disliked (if not to saying hated) the stormcast when I discovered the new Warhammer AoS 2 years ago (long time player WHFB here, stopped 15 years ago), I quite took the time to study them and now I like them, especially NOT in gold color sheme.

So, now, I plan to build my first army: Stormcast. They can be plaid almost in all ways you want. Cavalry, super monsters, heros, flying, super shooting,  hordes, mix, etc... There are by far the most developped army in the game, and still very competitive.  As a bonus, I love certain units design: dracoh, flying knights/heros (but less prosecutors), even the big stardrake.

And as a second bonus, it can be one of the cheapest army.

Last but not least: the allies rules allow you to easily expand to other armies, and the ORDER allegiance is the richest and most developped one in the game.

PS: this is my very first message/post here at TGA and I'm totally new to the game: I'm starting a (expected) great adenture of mini strategic game (again!) 

On 9/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, PointyEarAlliance said:

Hi TGA community,

I'm a bit lost choosing my faction. I've been looking for more information on google for the past 2 days but it's mostly subjective stuff.
I would like to know which faction would suit me best when it comes to playstyle. Fluff and look is second for me.

I don't have a preference for looks but I think I'd play more defensively with guns or something.
I'd love to hear from you!

David

Stormcasts aetherstrike force.

Kharadron overlords on foot.

Tzeench (demons/mortals/mix).

Freeguild.

And there are also other options, such as dark elves who can play defensively with some shooting.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm almost in the same boat as you...except that I did some research.

I wanted: 

1. an army that is visually  appealing to me. 

2. not sure about the strategy yet because of not used to the rules yet enough. But I like movments, with support

3. an army versatile enough to learn and try many things before investing time and money into a super typed army.

After checking everything, one argument was also in the balance: easy enough to learn to enjoy the game.

Despite I quite disliked (if not to saying hated) the stormcast when I discovered the new Warhammer AoS 2 years ago (long time player WHFB here, stopped 15 years ago), I quite took the time to study them and now I like them, especially NOT in gold color sheme.

So, now, I plan to build my first army: Stormcast. They can be plaid almost in all ways you want. Cavalry, super monsters, heros, flying, super shooting,  hordes, mix, etc... There are by far the most developped army in the game, and still very competitive.  As a bonus, I love certain units design: dracoh, flying knights/heros (but less prosecutors), even the big stardrake.

And as a second bonus, it can be one of the cheapest army.

Last but not least: the allies rules allow you to easily expand to other armies, and the ORDER allegiance is the richest and most developped one in the game.

PS: this is my very first message/post here at TGA and I'm totally new to the game: I'm starting a (expected) great adenture of mini strategic game (again!) 

Hey there! I don’t think I’d ever play Stormcast Eternals. Primarily because of the fact that they are “good” and look like robots with bad aesthetics. 

I hope you enjoy them and keep playing this wonderful game! To each his own of course ;-) 

cheers!

Since Skaven is on your list, Clan Skryre is a good mix of what you are looking for, mostly due to:Stormfiends! Big, scary, and can be both shooty and nasty in combat, they ALSO can be Battleline for Skryre! Support them with an Arch-Warlock, an allied Packmaster, and support with a host of artillery and weapon teams, and you have a scary army.

But no matter what, pick up the General's Handbook, read through the rules, and find a friend to test out some games. Even just a cardboard circle the general size of the unit's base can work in a test game. THAT will get you the answers you seek.

Another side note: All 3 of the armies you listed for interesting models work together well. Khorne for battleline and combat, Skaven for shenanigans and Legion war machines for more heavy punch. A Chaos artillery battalion back by blood thirsty berserkers? Sounds awesome.

I second @flamingwalnut a combination of khorne and skaven should give u a decent grand alliance chaos army.  Based off what you said i would recommend skyre skaven.  They play the defensive game well and a few allied units of clanrats could form a decent meatsshield for the jezzails, warp lightning cannon and weapon teams.  The stormfiends look like they are best used for their alternative deployment method with the tunneling drills.

Archived