I'm lost choosing THE faction

Hi TGA community,

I'm a bit lost choosing my faction. I've been looking for more information on google for the past 2 days but it's mostly subjective stuff.
I would like to know which faction would suit me best when it comes to playstyle. Fluff and look is second for me.

I don't have a preference for looks but I think I'd play more defensively with guns or something.
I'd love to hear from you!

David

2 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

It’s extremely subjective. Many factions can do what you’re after but really it should boil down to the models you like. Order are likely your best grand alliance  

Defensive with guns options:

Kahadron Overlords

Freeguild

Dispossessed 

Ironweld Arsenal 

Stormcast Eternals (kind of)

Skaven Clan Skryre 

Thanks for your comment first of all. I appreciate it.
Can you tell me a little bit more about those Kahadron Overlords? And what is the best way to start?

Thanks!

David

Jabber Tzeentch is pretty much bang on, defensive and guns would be a mix of Freepeoples/Dispossessed with Ironweld allies but it can be tough to play in Sigmar, ranges aren't very high with some minor exceptions so you won't simply be able to shoot them to dust before they reach you (trust me i've tried :) ) so you will need a healthy does of units to tie up enemy units. Overlords have some brilliant looking models but only the Ironclad reliably pulls it's weight in terms of firepower and you need to find a good balance between protecting your ships and having them protect you. The best way to start would be the relevant battletome and the generals handbook, there's quite a few battleforce/start collecting sets that are great value, overlords are a bit pricey and you'll struggle to find them cheap on eBay or similar as they're still very new. Unfortunately i don't know much about Skaven so i can't really weigh in on them, they're zany but fun to play though :) If you can find a friend that will let you proxy some models to try them out.

Legion of azgorh is the army for you. :)

Regarding the Kahadron Overlords, they do shoot alot but they are not a defensive army IMO. You might not like the playstyle.

If you are new to playing and like the Stormcast models then I think that actually that is the best option for you.

16 minutes ago, Atlasplug said:

Jabber Tzeentch is pretty much bang on, defensive and guns would be a mix of Freepeoples/Dispossessed with Ironweld allies but it can be tough to play in Sigmar, ranges aren't very high with some minor exceptions so you won't simply be able to shoot them to dust before they reach you (trust me i've tried :) ) so you will need a healthy does of units to tie up enemy units. Overlords have some brilliant looking models but only the Ironclad reliably pulls it's weight in terms of firepower and you need to find a good balance between protecting your ships and having them protect you. The best way to start would be the relevant battletome and the generals handbook, there's quite a few battleforce/start collecting sets that are great value, overlords are a bit pricey and you'll struggle to find them cheap on eBay or similar as they're still very new. Unfortunately i don't know much about Skaven so i can't really weigh in on them, they're zany but fun to play though :) If you can find a friend that will let you proxy some models to try them out.

Hi there!

thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it.

question tho: which factions have this “defensive wall” combined with ranged units (and possibly units that can lash out)? And is there an army like this description in the Chaos or Destruction factions? Or is Order the only way to go?

thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Legion of azgorh is the army for you. :)

Regarding the Kahadron Overlords, they do shoot alot but they are not a defensive army IMO. You might not like the playstyle.

If you are new to playing and like the Stormcast models then I think that actually that is the best option for you.

How would I start that Legion? If it can take a punch and shoot, sure :-)

thanks in advance!

Legion of Azgorh would also be a good choice from the little i know about them however they're a forgeworld only army so that means expensive albeit excellent looking models that are all resin which can be a bit difficult to work with. I'm afraid i'm not really sure on Chaos/Destruction but none seem to really fit your idea they both tend be more combat orientated. Stormcast can cover all their bases pretty well, they've got some good shooting if you lean into it, they hold the line very well and they have a good many units that can quite freely charge the enemy and make them hurt.  They're also quite easy to get started with as they're pretty popular. I play free peoples and they support each other well in a defensive formation but most things outperform them on a one to one basis so they really need to coordinate and work together which i really enjoy.   

3 minutes ago, chord said:

You don't need to chose a faction, you can choose a grand alliance and use models you like.

Hey Chord,

Thanks for your comment! I looked at the Legion of Azghor. Some models look really really great! Impressive but expensive line. Since they’re Chaos perhaps I could use Drazoath or Shar’tor as a general or something leading other troops as well?

2 hours ago, lextalionis81 said:

Hey Chord,

Thanks for your comment! I looked at the Legion of Azghor. Some models look really really great! Impressive but expensive line. Since they’re Chaos perhaps I could use Drazoath or Shar’tor as a general or something leading other troops as well?

Yeah, Grand Alliances allow you to run ANY members of the alliance together, though be mindful of 2 things: Battleline, who are required troops, and synergy, as some buffs only effect certain models.

The only reason to have PURE Legion of Azghor is their special battleline troops (bull centaurs, I believe) and to optomize buffs. But stealing, say, a khorne unit for a counterattack or a Tzeentch unit for some magic support, is not only legal but may be viable.

There is a Let's Chat Mega Thead on Legion of Azghor in the Chaos subforum. You should check that out for more info.

Hey Lex, other than what people have previously mentioned there are a few other options.

The Bonesplitterz destruction faction has a shooty list known as the Kunnin' Rukk.  I like rolling dice...but not as many as you'll be rolling if you play a Kunnin' Rukk.  The gist of the list is that you buff up a load of generic orcs to shoot a bunch of times with their generic bows.  Something's bound to stick if you shoot enough times, right?

Stormcast Eternals also have an extremely potent shooting list called Aetherstrike Force.   It revolves around a single unit of snipers getting free shots at enemy units that kill other units in your battalion.  Stormcast Eternals Battleline units can also be archers, so you'll almost always have a backbone of solid shooting, not matter the list you build.  Many armies don't have access to a reasonably tough unit that can sit on objectives all day long and plink annoyingly away at anything in their respectable 24" range.

It's a difficult set of requirements, dude. You can make the defensive wall with ranged units behind with almost any faction, but no faction is a true master of this tactic. The best would be Grand Alliance: Order factions, if any. Your choices here are quite hefty.

You can run a Stormcast Eternals army, with a focus on a line of Liberators (guys with shields) and Retributors etc supported by a giant line of Judicators (bow and arrow/crossbows) for a ranged set up. 

Alternatively, you might want to go more ranged heavy, and choose the Dispossessed, a Dwarf (Duardin) faction, who have pretty good shooting and some solid artillery in the form of cannons and organ guns. 

You could go more 'Lord of the Rings' style, and have lines of Phoenix Guard Elves who excel on the defensive, supported by skirmishing Shadow Warriors with bows and Reavers on horseback harassing the enemy and wearing them down with even more nimble ranged attacks on the fly.

You could run Freeguild, with ranks of handgunners firing musket volleys into the oncoming enemy with spearmen holding the line.

You could run giant blocks of Darkling Coven (Dark Elf) Dreadspears with ranks of Darkshards and their crossbows firing endlessly into combat, with Executioners rushing in to cause some serious hurt.

On the Destruction front, you can go with ranks of Bonesplitterz Arrowboyz firing mad waves of arrows into the fray whilst mobs of Boyz or Morboyz batter things in melee. Alternatively, take the hardier Ironjawz 'Ardboyz to be the ones to hold the line.

Basically, there is a lot of scope to create what you're after. The key will be locking said units in combat with some sturdy defensive units, and shooting them to bits. I wouldn't, however, take such lists to anything competitive because it will get really hurt. It'll be a fantastic army for casual or narrative games, though! Having played against an army of Dispossessed in this configuration holding a town whilst I hurled my Ironjawz at it, I can confirm it makes for a very atmospheric game.

2 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

It's a difficult set of requirements, dude. You can make the defensive wall with ranged units behind with almost any faction, but no faction is a true master of this tactic. The best would be Grand Alliance: Order factions, if any. Your choices here are quite hefty.

You can run a Stormcast Eternals army, with a focus on a line of Liberators (guys with shields) and Retributors etc supported by a giant line of Judicators (bow and arrow/crossbows) for a ranged set up. 

Alternatively, you might want to go more ranged heavy, and choose the Dispossessed, a Dwarf (Duardin) faction, who have pretty good shooting and some solid artillery in the form of cannons and organ guns. 

You could go more 'Lord of the Rings' style, and have lines of Phoenix Guard Elves who excel on the defensive, supported by skirmishing Shadow Warriors with bows and Reavers on horseback harassing the enemy and wearing them down with even more nimble ranged attacks on the fly.

You could run Freeguild, with ranks of handgunners firing musket volleys into the oncoming enemy with spearmen holding the line.

You could run giant blocks of Darkling Coven (Dark Elf) Dreadspears with ranks of Darkshards and their crossbows firing endlessly into combat, with Executioners rushing in to cause some serious hurt.

On the Destruction front, you can go with ranks of Bonesplitterz Arrowboyz firing mad waves of arrows into the fray whilst mobs of Boyz or Morboyz batter things in melee. Alternatively, take the hardier Ironjawz 'Ardboyz to be the ones to hold the line.

Basically, there is a lot of scope to create what you're after. The key will be locking said units in combat with some sturdy defensive units, and shooting them to bits. I wouldn't, however, take such lists to anything competitive because it will get really hurt. It'll be a fantastic army for casual or narrative games, though! Having played against an army of Dispossessed in this configuration holding a town whilst I hurled my Ironjawz at it, I can confirm it makes for a very atmospheric game.

Hi there!

Thanks for all this info. Much appreciated! Could you tell me if Chaos can do the same? And what about those flying dwarves?

cheers!

13 hours ago, PointyEarAlliance said:

Hi TGA community,

I'm a bit lost choosing my faction. I've been looking for more information on google for the past 2 days but it's mostly subjective stuff.
I would like to know which faction would suit me best when it comes to playstyle. Fluff and look is second for me.

I don't have a preference for looks but I think I'd play more defensively with guns or something.
I'd love to hear from you!

David

David... my advice is to find models that you love, and want to paint, and let it guide you. 

I imagine a lot of TGA’er started the exact same way. 

as above, you will spend a very long time painting your army if you plan on making it ~2,000 pts so if you dont enjoy the models & painting your loosing a very (imo) important part of  the hobby.

I would also draw reference from other parts of your hobbies and interests, if you play video games do you favour melee characters? Ranged spell casters? Gunslingers? That might give you some clues.

My other thought was go to game nights & ask people who have spare armies & try some out. You might really enjoy something you have never considered

Free guild with a hurricanum.  If you need help with a list, I would definitely help.

They are defensive and very shooty with incredible synergy.  You’ll have to do a little leg work with google to find out more however.  4chan is always a fun read too: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Edition_1.1/Free_Peoples

A lot of people will tell you that the models visual appeal should be the first thing that you choose an army based on. But I would say play style is more important.  It doesn’t matter how pretty an army looks to you. If you don’t like how they perform you probably won’t play them.  

Of course you can’t buy every army to playtest them and see if they are for you.  So I suggest YouTube bat reps and your local game store for demo games.  

8 hours ago, lextalionis81 said:

Hi there!

Thanks for all this info. Much appreciated! Could you tell me if Chaos can do the same? And what about those flying dwarves?

cheers!

No, they can't unfortunately. There are no Chaos factions outside Chaos Dwarves that have ranged units firing ranged weapons that aren't magic attacks. Chaos is very much an in-your-face army. The best you can get is Marauder Horsemen, who can hurl javelins at the enemy, but only 9"!

Kharadron Overlords are good at shooting, but not fantastic in melee, so it'd be the holding the line part that is difficult.

Your best bet is to find the models yoy like most and go from there.

I don't know why anyone hasn't just been honest with this guy and told him not to worry as once he gets started he'll end up with several factions, get started boxes, boxes of miniatures sealed in a stack by his painting table, ambitious projects that sounded like a good idea at the time you sank £200 in to it and so on xD

I echo the sentiments of others- go with the visual appeal first and then try and make an army you enjoy playing with.

The reason I say this is because personally I spend many more hours building and painting models than I do playing with them! So make sure whatever you get you will stay interested in the models themselves 

Additionally, over time, rules and warscrolls change. It's not such a big deal if you just love the models but if you've built an army around a specific in-game function, it can be very annoying when that function stops being effective after a rules update.

Of course, if you plan to be more of a gamer than a modeller/painter, this might not apply - it's just based on experience after all.

Finally, if you like playing your games based on narrative as well as competitively, then try and find an army that you can be interested in using in many different scenarios. 

For example, chaos are generally evil. Are you happy to play the evil guys in narrative games?

Skaven are generally seen as cowardly but very devious. That can be a lot of fun to play but they are not the army to play narratively if in your mind you loving making a glorious heroic last stand.

No need to focus on a single factions go for a Grand Alliance and cherry pick what you need/like. From your requirements any other than Death will suit you. 

Purchasing wise I go for GW direct or Element Games, though I’m in the UK so don’t know how their overseas shipping is but they’re excellent in the U.K.  Element also seem to sponsor a lot of podcasts and events. Both also provide great customer service. 

Form the fa ruins you listed, and the playstule your after, i’d rank them as: 

1) LoA 

2) Skaven

3) Khorne

the Legion Of Azgorh are expensive, and a little dofficult for new people to work with being resin.

skaven are very versatile and could be the right choice, but they have a generally high model count.

khorne doesn’t reallyyyyt fit your play style, but it can be done. A lot of skull cannons would be needed though. 

Archived