new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dracothjay said:

With the latest story there’s a Stormcast-ish individual that bursts through the door with electric energy, but looks rather sinister. 

I hope we don’t get deathcast, and besides, nagash can’t claim the souls yet so that theory is a little conflicted.

It's knights exelscior mate, I recommend giving city of secrets a read they do this all the time. With cities coming back they will start doing this more often since chaos is insidious

@shinros @Malakithe the Knight of Shrouds is a soul that Sigmar was unable to take into the Celestial Hosts (they say it in this video). It's not clear exactly what that means: was he stopped by Nagash? Did the soul reject the reforging process? Maybe Sigmar weighed the soul and found it unworthy? Or maybe something else! It may even be all of them! They have said there are lots of them but the narrative will focus on the one named Keldrek.

It strikes me as a failure of imagination that thats what you assume 'deathcast' would even be/look like.

Everything undead is an undead version of something that used to be alive.  Even morghasts are undead angelic servants of a storm deity that opposed nagash.  In fact, it would hardly take any retconning at all to say the morghasts in AoS are and always were our 'deathcasts', and would take no retconning at all to say 'deathcasts' become something very much like them.

If I were persuing the idea, I'd make them slightly smaller, but still at least ogre sized, wingless morghasts with more human shaped skulls, but otherwise same body shape, detailing, and overall style, and strongly hint without outright stating that this new type of morghasts were made with stormcast souls.

Then they aren't Deathcast, they're Microghasts with some Deathcast-oriented fluff that doesn't impact their visual aesthetic at all.

Deathcast in terms of models implies something aesthetically-linked to Stormcast, but with an Undead twist. I really don't want that because I'm not a big fan of the SCE aesthetic. If I was, I'd be in that forum with my Liberator Gold and my chunky armour manz.

I'd rather we got something uniquely Death in terms of aesthetic. The Knight of Shrouds is the right direction IMO, it doesn't borrow from anything but is undeniably Death and looks right cool.

4 hours ago, WarbossKurgan said:

@shinros @Malakithe the Knight of Shrouds is a soul that Sigmar was unable to take into the Celestial Hosts (they say it in this video). It's not clear exactly what that means: was he stopped by Nagash? Did the soul reject the reforging process? Maybe Sigmar weighed the soul and found it unworthy? Or maybe something else! It may even be all of them! They have said there are lots of them but the narrative will focus on the one named Keldrek.

Oh yeah, but he is not a stormcast if sigmar took him he would be one. On his page they are explicit that his soul is human. Plus the video of phil kelly describing what a knights of shourds is. Stormcast have nothing to do with it. He is just an awesome(evil/betrayer) ghost. As coffee said the knight is it's own unique thing instead of having any connection to them. 

His faction keyword is nighthaunt. I wish I could link the video from his page but it's a part of the website. 

39 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Deathcast in terms of models implies something aesthetically-linked to Stormcast, but with an Undead twist.

What is implied by the term 'deathcast' seems to varry from person to person, and will continue to do so unless and until we get an official GW version.  When I say it, I mean 'distinct n game undead units thematically tied to the narrative concept of Nagash stealing back Stormcast souls'.  What that would actually look like could be anything from recolored stormcasts to new, stormcast-shaped models but with the sharp, layered, bone trimmed style armor of the End Times undead stuff to new wingless morghasts to  a new version of ushabti to just new formations for the existing morghast models, along with fluff that there are a whole lot more morghasts flying around these days, and pointedly wondering where Nagash got his boney hands on so many semi-divine souls with which to animate them.

I'd personally be quite happy with any of the above.  Just recolored stormcasts woyld probably be my least preferred option, but I'd still be happy to see that narrative line from the novels paying off in the game.

Maybe the word "Deathcast" is in and of itself harmful and not helpful to discussion? I imagine a SCE equivalent in Death would moreso be like the Bloodbound or Ironjawz, which is to say that I expect a heavy armoured faction with lots of melee, heavy cavalry, and monsters. A Morghast army as suggested would fit, or even a revamped Soulblight faction. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Not fit me, personally. Would be really lazy, like Space Marine Tyranids in 40K. "Ooh,  they ate  the gene seed. Now they're Astartenids! Just like Marines but with chitin instead of power armour and Fleshborers for hands. "

There are space marine tyranids in 40k.  Tyranids ate space marine DNA and used it to create especially tough new infantry bugs.  That's where tyrant and hive guard came from.  That was literally the fluff for them, especially for tyrant guard, and iirc it's never been retconned, though its admittedly not played up as much as when the tyrant guard were introduced in 3e.

It's amusing to me that your example for how rediculous and unworkable this idea is actually turns out to be something that already happened, and resulted in a couple of generally highly regarded additions to the game.  There's no reason undead units created from stormcasts couldn't be similarly successful.

Am I the only one completely confused about this whole 'Deathcast' thing?

Shouldn't all GA:Death units be something that was once living?  

Are we really worried GW would just re-color the SCE, or add a couple of skulls to the models, and throw them at us?  That would be like them giving us Free Company kits and telling us that we need to make our Zombies and Ghouls out of those. Maybe w/ new heads...

Nagash is studying the SCE.  Eventually, I suspect he'll break the mystery of their creation and twist it to his own ends.  But the idea that GW would be so lazy as to give us the same or similar models the SCE is just silly.  Even if they did, just don't buy the models if you don't like them.  There will still be other Death factions.  Those don't appear to be going away. GW has said repeatedly that they have big things in store for GA:Death during Malign Portents.  We should be totally geeked.  We've had nothing since the launch of AoS.  Now, we are the focus of what appears to be the next huge narrative arch.  Our faction will be shaping the Mortal Realms for the next several months.  

Instead of arguing about something that we can't possibly know anything about, I'd like to enjoy the ride. I was getting depressed about the lack of GA:Death attention.  So much so, that I'd started to move back over to 40k.  undoubtedly there will be things I don't like during MP.  I already have a few worries.  But I'm not ready to waste my time on that just yet.  As I'm also certain there are things I'm going to love coming up too.

14 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Am I the only one completely confused about this whole 'Deathcast' thing?

Shouldn't all GA:Death units be something that was once living?  

Are we really worried GW would just re-color the SCE, or add a couple of skulls to the models, and throw them at us?  That would be like them giving us Free Company kits and telling us that we need to make our Zombies and Ghouls out of those. Maybe w/ new heads...

Nagash is studying the SCE.  Eventually, I suspect he'll break the mystery of their creation and twist it to his own ends.  But the idea that GW would be so lazy as to give us the same or similar models the SCE is just silly.

Well, they have done just that with 40K. Over and over again in fact. Space Marines, Spikey Marines, Gross Marines, Magic Marines, Shiny Marines, Shinier Marines, Furry Marines, Red Marines, Green Marines, King Size Marines. I think the fear is that "Deathcast" would be the beginning of that, and everything that is not a "cast" derivative would be put even further on the back burner going forward.

Got the new Nids Codex here, and like the previous two it doesn't mention the gene seed link with certain species. IIRC it hasn't been mentioned since 3rd. 

Digressing back to the topic: empty speculation is all we have in this vacuum of information. Fluff is irrelevant to gameplay and models, it's just filler to provide context but is ultimately surplus to requirements. You can build, paint and play without a word of it. 

With that in mind, unless the theorised Deathcast were in some way similar aesthetically to the Stormcast, they wouldn't really be Deathcast models. They'd be new models with an optional bit of fluff in a book somewhere that says they might be SCE. 

My take on Deathcast, or what I feel I'd want it to be is as follows:

• Nagash hates the idea of Sigmar stealing souls that are rightfully his right before their death (in essence, they don't actually die, and in a way, live forever althought we know this has negative effects on the Stormcast).
  • He can't claim the souls of the most heoric new guys due to Sigmar whisking them away, but he already has dominion over the souls of long dead heroes and villains
  • So he abuses this power and forces those souls into Undead construct suits similar to the Morghasts but more big infantry sized (32/40mm bases) and a little bit more human looking in build

That IMO would be a good direction. I'm sure other people have their opinion on what they feel will be a good direction as well.

Overall, I think Death lacks a 32/40mm 2-3 wound infantry unit in the game. I think the Morghast aesthetic is an interesting one to expand upon, but would equally be happy with more traditional looking deathly armour similar to say Death Knights from World of Warcraft.

I've never really liked the idea of Vampire infantry fulfilling this duty, because to me Vampires are meant to be too proud and elite and individual to be foot infantry. I think Blood Knights get away with it because having a steed in some ways is a form of proving you're better than others (being higher up, etc).

I definitely hope it won't just be Nagash subduing Stormhosts to his bidding in some way. I think they really need to be independent concepts in some ways, otherwise you'll fall into this issue where Death players go - "OH Stormcast have Prosecutors, why don't we have Death Prosecutors?". Chaos avoids this, because Chaos Warriors != Stormcast even though in some ways they're similar units.

5 hours ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Instead of arguing about something that we can't possibly know anything about, I'd like to enjoy the ride.

I do somewhat regret my part in tilting the discussion in this direction.  It's a debate that we've already had more than a few times with many of the same points and more than a little argument past rather than to each other, and more to the point is pretty much off topic, because the announcement for this book made pretty clear that it would only include the existing range, so whether and when and how stormghasts might show up doesn't really matter much to this thread, as they aren't showing up here and now regardless.

That said, there's not much of a ride to enjoy.  I think we've picked apart the announcement pretty well.  Until we get more info from GW, there's not all that much more to say.  And for all we know, we could still be six months out from actually getting any further info.  I mean, how much time has passed since the initial preview of the knight of shrouds, and we still have little if any idea of what it actually does in game (I mean, apart from getting casually sniped off the table in the opponent's first shooting phase, obviously).

I mean, heck, we could still get a surprise deathrattle or nighthaunt battle tome before this book.  I doubt it, but it's entirely possible.  Until we start seeing Faction Focus: Legion of X articles, there's just not that much more to say.

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

My take on Deathcast, or what I feel I'd want it to be is as follows:

• Nagash hates the idea of Sigmar stealing souls that are rightfully his right before their death (in essence, they don't actually die, and in a way, live forever althought we know this has negative effects on the Stormcast).
  • He can't claim the souls of the most heoric new guys due to Sigmar whisking them away, but he already has dominion over the souls of long dead heroes and villains
  • So he abuses this power and forces those souls into Undead construct suits similar to the Morghasts but more big infantry sized (32/40mm bases) and a little bit more human looking in build

That IMO would be a good direction. I'm sure other people have their opinion on what they feel will be a good direction as well.

Overall, I think Death lacks a 32/40mm 2-3 wound infantry unit in the game. I think the Morghast aesthetic is an interesting one to expand upon, but would equally be happy with more traditional looking deathly armour similar to say Death Knights from World of Warcraft.

I've never really liked the idea of Vampire infantry fulfilling this duty, because to me Vampires are meant to be too proud and elite and individual to be foot infantry. I think Blood Knights get away with it because having a steed in some ways is a form of proving you're better than others (being higher up, etc).

I definitely hope it won't just be Nagash subduing Stormhosts to his bidding in some way. I think they really need to be independent concepts in some ways, otherwise you'll fall into this issue where Death players go - "OH Stormcast have Prosecutors, why don't we have Death Prosecutors?". Chaos avoids this, because Chaos Warriors != Stormcast even though in some ways they're similar units.

This right here. He could eventually snatch up souls but not the armor or weapons since those go poof as well leaving with souls that either just hang out like most Nighthaunt stuff or by giving them bodies/constructs to posses

Well, according to a person I know who works for GW, he thinks within the next two months we will see the battletome AND malign portents drop. Obviously this is his assumption, but I’d rather hope on that than anything else.

and he also said death are indeed getting new models, but will be a while after the portents and book.

Archived