new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this battletome gives mixed death more freedom for choosing the battleline units. I want to build ghost army with some other cool models like mannfred and morghasts in it, but currently that's challenging, because you have to use too many points to fill the battleline (and I personally hate using some small min size units that do nothing but block enemies). I don't care if I have to have some ghost hero as my general to make that happen but I just want it to be possible.

its all good, but common, we need more units to chose from, Nighthaunt have:

spirit hosts

hexwraiths

cairn wraith

Tomb banshee

Morngul

and the 100% outdated black coach - nuff said

with the addition of the new knight of the shroud we may see the start of something usefull :) 

But as a stand alone faction it need to be buffed / fluffed / and expanded.... Go GW...

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Dracothjay said:

I use mannfred all the time, but now this has me super excited to field him with his own allegiance!!

legion of blood - neferata

legion of sacrament - arkhan

legion of night - mannfred

EPIC!!!!!

Edited Saturday at 01:40 PM by Dracothjay

do we know wich units falls under each legion ?

We have no clue at this time.  The going guess is each legion will get a different mix of units from across the death line, likely with a fair degree of overlap between them.  Trying to make the Death Alliance feel less anemic by giving us a bunch of allegiances that split and share the same model ranges between them, trying to make the same units feel and play differently with the application of different subfaction rules.  That sounds cynical, but I personally think it might be interesting.  If they're not going to add a bunch of new models, than this is probably the next best chance for giving Death some more functional variety on the tabletop.

All of that's just guesswork, mind.

There are some pretty safe bets, though.  Neferata's list will very likely have all the stuff from the christmas army box with her - specifically skeleton warriors with spears, grave guard with shields, wight king with shield & tomb blade, morghast archai.  It's probably also a safe bet to assume she'll get the stuff from her old campaign formation, which would add a vamp lord on zombie dragon and coven throne.  Considering that she actually spawns regular vampire lords in her rules, she'll probably get those too.

Arkhan will almost certainly get the stuff from the start collecting box with him.  Specifically black knights and skeleton warriors with hand weapons.  Beyond that, who knows?  His arcane background and necromantic abilities would imply that he'd get necromancers and maybe the mortis engine, and would incline me toward thinking he'll get some nighthaunt stuff.  But there's also fluff of him leading armies of mordants, so maybe he'll get a bunch of ghoul stuff instead or in addition to boney and ghosty stuff.

Mannfred's pretty much completely up in the air.  Between oldhammer and AoS lore he's been seen commanding just about any type of undead.  I think it's most likely to expect him to get a bunch of beast stuff.  You know, 'creatures of the night'.  Dire wolves, fell bats, bat swarms, that sort of thing.  And being a vampire, I'd expect him to get some vampyric units.  Particularly Vargheists, as they sort of fall into both categories.

And I don't even begin to know what to expect for Nagash's legion.  Is it going to be a grand everything sort of army, like Death allegiance (minus the TK compendium) but with variant faction rules, representing all the various undead forces at his command, or is it going to be a more elite thing, like a personal retinue of only the biggest and the baddest, like his end times formation, or the existing death lords faction, with just him, the mortarchs, and a bunch of morghasts, with some extra rules to make that more playable?  Or something inbetween?  I don't know.

As I've said many times, I'm not really expecting any new models, new units, or even new warscrolls for existing units out of this - apart from updating the keyword lists to work with the new legion allegiances.  But that doesn't mean I think the book won't have anything interesting to dig into, and what exactly these legion armies end up looking like, which have what units and to what extent do their faction rules change how they play on the table, is near the top of what I'm now super curious to see.

Hopefully the wait for new information isn't too long.  I'd love to see this book yet in January, or early February, but somehow late March or early April feels more likely.

I agree. Perhaps we have seen the likes of neferata’s legion with that big box full of skellies and neferata?

im hoping mannfred’s legion has ghouls for some reason, I have a tonne of ghouls painted and would love to use them outside of FEC. And many vargheist. LOVE vargheists!

even if we don’t see new models and no warscroll updates, I’ll be just as happy with the battletome and more combinations to play with. So damn excited, HATE HATE HATR waiting! Getting the malign portents aswell, need knight of shrouds in my arsenal for sure!

It would be nice if Morghasts could be used in all three legions (as well as skellies and zombies)... But, I fail to see which units would then make up the legion of the sacrament. 

I could see soublight units being part of legion of blood, I could see nighthaunt being part of legion of the night. But what would make legion of the sacrament unique then?

Sacrament will almost definitely have skeletons and black knights, as they're in a box with Arkhan already.  Beyond that, Morghasts are likely.  Necromancers are almost guaranteed.  Ghouls and/or ghosts are possible, as both have been on and off associated with arkhan.

The very best thing this book could do is heavy rewrites of existing warscrolls, but I don't view that as likely.  The next best thing this book could do is bring in one or more new spell lores, and re-write our summoning spells to something more matched play friendly.  EG replacing all the matched play unfriendly summoning spells with matched play compatible healing spells.  This strikes me as more likely (we've seen summoning systems revised or replaced in other recent books), though still not guaranteed.  I'm trying to keep my hopes for mechanical improvements down and focus on the new lore we'll be getting, but it's hard.  My heart wants to fly away with my head.

I would be happy not having any new models if certain warscrolls were tweaked. 

As for mannfred, going off the realm gate wars novels he was using FEC quite often. I do think mannfred will be more zombies than skellies. Can you guess that mannfred is my favourite yet!? ???

My own favorite is Arkhan, and I'm so excited to see what he gets.  I've got some of everything lying around from the End Times, in various states of disrepair, so no matter what they tie to him I should be able to make it work.  Malign portents almost has me in a painting mood, but until I see what goes with who, I'll be holding off.  Which is fine, I need to work on commission painting before I get back to my own stuff anyway.

I'm looking forward to whichever alleigance will make my vampire lords and blood knights the most fun ;)

I reckon nef could have a few vampirey synergies being legion of blood and alll that.

id love to see something to make zombies more appealing over skellies (zombies are my ideal undead hordes for my vamps)

I'd really like to see extensive warscroll reworks but might be best not to get too many hopes up.

But I do have like 6 or 7 vamp lords with diff movement options so I'd love for them to be Madeline worth taking as non general heroes. (Even just a points reduction could be nice)

Regardless it's nice to see us get some love. And i think updating the grand alliance in general is the best step for now. Then we can get new factions / toys.

6 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

I wonder if there's any chance at all that we'll see some of the tomb king plastics reintroduced here?

Highly doubt it since the aesthetic of tomb kings is very at odds with the vampire count look.

If they were to ever reintroduce the Egyptian skellie style it'd be as a new army. Personally for our next new subfaction battletome I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit new and different. I feel the kharadron overlords were great examples of how something completely different could spawn from a race / alliance.

But I'm horrendously biased in that I would just want them to create just a vampire based army xD Soulblight is missing angry vampire foottroops. Though not sure if all vampires are supposed to be lords/lieutenants for Nagash in fluff or whether they have a mixed hierarchy and could support a vampire themed army. Though the snippet about thralls in white dwarf does give me hope for some more soulblight some day.

On the malign portents website there was a new story. It ended with:                    Sounds like Deathcast...

The front door exploded into a storm of wooden shards, as if struck with a cannon round. Verric stumbled backwards, slipped on the rain-slick floor and fell. His head struck the cobbles hard, and he almost lost his grip on the repeater. Ears aching from the blast, vision swimming, Verric stared up at the shattered entranceway. It was no fur-clad savage that loomed over him, but a statue forged from gleaming metal, rain pouring in rivulets down its stark, white armour. Rippling arcs of lightning swirled around its form, and the warhammer it clutched in one enormous fist. The shadowed sockets of its unforgiving war mask seemed to gaze through Verric’s very soul. As the living statue took a single stride forward, raising its hammer high, Verric began to scream.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Plus the 'deathcast' is already confirmed to be the Knight of Shrouds. If there will be new models in the coming months it will probaby be more of them 

He is not a death cast either he was a normal dude. Watch his character insight by phil kelly. He is nighthaunt, an awesome betrayer ghost. 

..of the human soul, the Knight of Shrouds rides at the head of a massed gathering of the undead. He drives his fellow Nighthaunts to slaughter the living wherever the light of hope and progress shines out from the darkness, his disembodied voice ringing out over the moans of the deceased. With him comes disaster, for he is a dread omen given form, a herald of deathly fates sent to bring the word of Nagash to those who would defy him.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Pretty sure the site said he was a stormcast that was reforged so amny times he said ****** it and went to nagash

No the site does not say that. I pulled that from the website go to his character page and watch the character insight by Phil Kelly he explains what a knights of shrouds is.

Archived