new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

15 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Don't forget we don't yet know what allegiance abilities will do - wouldn't surprise me if Legion of Sacrement didn't buff Deathly Invocation in some way.  As I've just put in a blog post (where I've collected the leaked warscrolls so far), I'm still excited but a bit worried about Death armies now being dependant upon easily sniped characters.

Link to blog post?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do not have a spell to summon them on their warscrolls anymore. 

Summoning will most likely be done through army wide mechanics (much like chaos has now btw) and we do not know how they work at all...

Arkhan is a better resurrector though... He gets to reroll those D3s on the units he picks (and he can do 4). 

The only sad part: there aren't THAT many units with summonable keyword. A mortarch gets to pick 4 units, BUT... unless you go very MSU, I doubt he'll be able to use to full potential anyway every turn. Also, morghasts appear to have lost the abilty to be summoned (or at least, lack the keyword). 

I am a bit shocked by the leaks to be honest.

- Bravery banners for Skellies and the like --> useless, just like the banners of my Seraphon. One of my main opponents runs a Lord Celestant on Dracoth, which makes everyone immune against battleshock.
- Wight King standard gone (that was an important defense against mortal wound spam). Regeneration is much worse than saving models from death, since you cannot regenerate if the whole unit is gone. Also the standard worked isntantly, so most importantly before battleshock, thus reducing the impact of battleshock. Gone.
- Ethereal becomes worse
- Regeneration is now dependent from easily snipeable heroes. I need two heroes very close per Skeleton unit to get my proper regeneration back. ....uh.... if they stack at all that is.  Is it confirmed they do? I sure hope so. And that we can exceed original size. Then I'd be really happy.  (yes I know, not going to happen).

- The Knight of Shrouds is a joke judging by his warscroll

Seems Odd for me that the nerf death after alle the great buff the ben throwing in new battletome Maybe the healing can Pick the same unit more Then once? Like say i can Pick 4 unit with arkham but Maybe i am able to Pick the same unit for all the 4  uses that atleast be something right? But Would not stop ppl from sniping the heros  but Yea just trying to hold up hopes i guess

18 minutes ago, Rahr said:

Oh nvm it stats that its up to 2-5 deffence units :(

It says different units, but that's for ONE hero. So my Wight King cannot do it twice on my Skeletons.

But if there are two Wight Kings then both can do it on the same group of Skeletons.

It wouldn' be surprising if there are many abilities affecting those rolls in the command traits, artefacts and the batallions. I normally play smaller games and in those, I can see that the resurrection abilities will be great , especially combined with the black knights getting back to being wights.

Judging by those new warscrolls Nagash just get elevated from "very rarely useful paperweight" to "completely obsolete paperweight"  if there is no powerful lore of magic coming in book, and I mean like 5-6 useful spells it's even a bigger waste of points then ever since summoning spells are gone

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Should be in the footer, but the direct link is http://runebrush.pa-sy.com/2018/01/legions-of-nagash-warscroll-leaks/

Just updated my post with the vast majority of the other warscrolls.

Overall I think the tweaks are OK.  Black Knights are still very lack lustre even with +1 attack on their spear.  Grave Guard are going to be interesting even though they've stayed at 1 wound - it means you potentially could keep a unit at full strength kicking out decent rending damage for a long time.  I'm hoping we're going to see some allegiance abilities that add our ignore damage saves in (no hero dependency) and increase the range/ability of Deathly Invocation - otherwise our 5 wound heroes aren't going to be that great as they only have a 6" range on DI.

Just hope we see the battletome drop soon!

Yeah without the Allegiance context I am not extremely impressed.

At least some Keyword gain is there, though not on all I would have applied it...

Going slightly lighter on summonning is okay but what is gained? Free Garden of Morr in the Allegiance? Other tombs?

Thanks for the blog post @RuneBrush!

Man, there are so many changes I don't like, they really have to make up for it with spells and allegiance abilities and command traits. :(

For example I am sad about the Wight King with Black Axe. I just built one (first played it last friday) and I liked how he is able to "finish off" wounded multi-wound models. The Death on 6+ is too random for my taste.

6 minutes ago, Aginor said:

And Uh-oh....

Look at the Necromancer warscroll.... Undead Minions does not mention mortal wounds anymore..... That has to be a joke.

I think this is just wording.  "Before you allocate a wound to this model", so I'd say this is at the damage pool stage.  Otherwise it would say "suffered" (I think)

A wound is not a mortal wound tho.  So yeah, looks like you can't bounce mortals off necros anymore, unless im just reading it wrong.

And the nerfs keep coming.  Those allegiance abilities will need to be pretty monstrous at this point to save things.

Also the summoning character ability thing only restores wounds or models, it cant take a unit above its starting strength (not that it would be all that great if it could, since iirc that would require reserve points anyway).  It seemed like some people a bit earlier in the thread thought characters could add to units that hadnt taken damage yet, but thats not right.

Nurgle stuff doesn't look incredible just by looking the warscrolls, beyond some individual units, I think it's the same here. The magic, allegiance abilities, artefacts, command traits, batallions and synergy between units is the "main course" in AoS with the warscrolls being just the starters and I haven't seen anything from those yet. From the warscrolls already at least that looks promising that you can stack a lot of buffs to the units. It is for example easy to add two attacks per model for soulblight units with the ability from the throne and the vampire lord's command ability, which sounds quite tasty. I wouldn't be worried. Those 5 wound heroes would probably not see much competitive play anyways, as you can take dragons, mortarchs, Nagash, etc. that are a lot less squishy and have similar abilities, but better. The vampire lords, wight kings, etc. are for the smaller games.

I'm so so frustrated and dissapointed at this point. I'm sorry to add onto the pile of frustration that most people feel but I had to say it. I've had about 2000 worth of points in death and if these nerfs are too much for the allegiance abilities to compensate I don't know how I'm going to find motivation to keep painting. Like, Death is my favourite GA, but what's the point if this is the support we are going to get? A battletome for our whole allegiance to try to salvage something while nerfing most of the little good things we had? And they can't even do a proper death event without constantly sidetracking attention to other allegiances and factions, because of course they would. 

Sorry if I sound bitter, it's just tiring seeing other factions get so much support and GAs get so much depth and different things while we are supposed to scramble to make an army out of an entire alliance.

The thing that bothers me most is that I have to keep two heroes near (within 6") of my Skeleton units in order to get the regeneration that I previously would have gotten on the whole board. So I have to get my Necromancer into range of a SCE Lord Celestant on Dracoth and his Lord-Relictor who will just mortal-wound-roflstomp him without any defense. Oh and the minus on bravery.... They don't take battleshocks so they don't care.

....I guess my SCE playing friend will be very happy.

Man I have to keep that negativity at bay, we haven't seen all the bataillons and artefacts and traits yet....

Archived