Malign Portents - A Tale of ??? Warlords

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done to those that made the deadline, and lets keep up the spirit for those like me who failed, we can do it as well, eventually,  just give us a time machine.

@Lord Panther, looking good and well done on the gold.

@ZephyrExia, well done.

@Tzaangor Management, still really like the bone armour. What colours do you use for that.

@Oneyah, The Magna... the big lizard thing looks really impressive, how much time did you send on it?

@Elmir, That was fast with the harbinger. I like the old aged look on the sword.

For this month I need finish last month’s lot, I am getting there but not quite there yet.

I have made progress on my Harbinger conversion, was actually a fun conversion to do, aside from the Wolfrider hat, which was a pain to cut down to size and then hollow out enough to fit on the head.

large.TGA-ATaleOfXWarlords-MalignPortents-Harbinger-WIP.JPG.d9fa0bd60ee3c9a03b88e8a6fdfe1521.JPG

@Trokair the magmadroth was a bit of a nightmare model for me. Problem is I just don’t love the sculpt of it. I base painted it about 18 months ago and then  just left it because.  Once I went back to it, the painting didn’t take too long, it was just a case of picking out the edges of the scales with two highlights and I got to a point that I was happy enough with the completed model. 

Managed to paint up the four harbingers . Referenced the warhammertv guide but slightly altered some of the schemes to match my current armies.

EB1BF7C0-2E51-4047-8904-06A4162F6A78.jpeg

088F4C12-F094-4DB3-954D-B4082FAE1087.jpeg

C5BE0D36-23A0-4C24-8AEF-D6C00F74027B.jpeg

Thanks a lot @Trokair, it's Elfic Flesh from Vallejo, with Seriphim Sepia in the recesses and then a pure white edge highlight. You can just about see the edge highlight, but I might've gone one tone darker, so that it stood out a little more if I was to start again. 

Absolutely time to catch up and loving the goblin conversion for a Harbinger. That power stance!

Hoping my Lord Ordinator is going to turn up. Pre-ordered to arrive on release day and still waiting :(

Harbinger done! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it into the GW store to enter the comp again but I'm pretty happy with how he came out. The TGA boards will have to do. The nice graduation I managed to get on the big mushroom top didn't really photograph well but trust me, it looks neat. Actually, the gloss Nuln Oil I put on the bug shells also looks terrible in photos.

IMG_9717.JPG.bddc413399312fc9c53b29d686c0be0a.JPG

IMG_9718.JPG.37d523c735fcca2aaa7195a605abe526.JPG

IMG_9719.JPG.12ce70d09e0941b60d9bd4dd5ac76d8c.JPG

On 26/02/2018 at 4:41 AM, Velonge said:

Love your use of color along with the basing scene, it really sets the mood for malign portents.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was going for, hence the morghast skull!

8 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I have built my ratty Harbinger! He's my first time using green stuff, if anyone has any advice about what to do about his now-unsightly staff handle I would greatly appreciate it.

I mostly try to hide things like that with a very thin and long slice of paper wrapped around the part with glue. It can also make some "maybe too many 40k parts" conversions look more, well, archaic.

12 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I have built my ratty Harbinger! He's my first time using green stuff, if anyone has any advice about what to do about his now-unsightly staff handle I would greatly appreciate it.

I highly recommend clean water on hand to keep the green-stuff pliable. A simple flexible tool like the GW mixing tool to shape the green stuff is indispensable .  Just grab a very small drop of water and just barely touch it to the surface of the green-stuff before it hardens. While it's pliable maneuver as desired. (Examples below)

IMG_20170317_113201_01.jpg.cd8b07c4ac3ff1f2d0a7b950a5894a09.jpg

IMG_20170317_113206_01.jpg

IMG_20170317_113210_01.jpg

IMG_20170317_113213_01.jpg

Fantastic heralds on display and props to @Oneyahfor painting all four!

Unfortunately, despite pre-ordering the Harbinger (amongst other things) to arrive on release day, waiting two weeks (as required for Royal Mail 24 hour delivery 9_9) before calling it in, only for the replacement delivery to not arrive either, I have not painted my Harbinger. Gutted.

I have almost finished a Pallador squad (waiting for some paint in the same order), so, assuming my Harbinger ever arrives, I should be able to catch up next month. 

TL:DR I hate Royal Mail and will never use them for deliveries again! 

Well, it took me a while but I got there- 20 Clanrats and a Warlock Engineer finished! 

Now to press on with the Doomwheel, which is in varying stages of assembly and undercoating... and then my ratty harbinger. And then I've caught up!

And then I have to do another unit. Acolytes and a Warp Lightning Cannon I think.

WP_20180305_08_54_21_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180305_08_55_45_Rich_LI.jpg

Looking good @Kirjava13. I just put together the Shadespire Rats and I may have just found my new army... must finish this army first...

Month three of the Malign Portents painting challenge is up and reads:

For this month's painting competition, it's time to round off your starting force with a larger model of your choice – perhaps you're looking to add the Celestant Prime to your Stormcast Eternals, or maybe your Death army is in need of a Coven Throne to support it. Whatever you choose, send in your pictures, post them to Instagram with the hashtag #AoSMalignPortents and bring them to your local store for your chance to be featured!

Find out more about the Malign Portents and the Dread Solstice campaign here: https://goo.gl/YBwTJr

5a9d85c09042a_MalignPortentsChallenge3.jpg.92f993b47aa842808fea9df0c3f4bf6d.jpg

As ever, the unofficial TGA Malign Portents challenge means picking the models that work for you!

Good luck all!

@ Oneyah, Shame to hear that the magmadroth was so much trouble for you because it looks awesome. Well done on painting all four harbingers. What colours did you use on the goblin base?

@ Mordeus, great airship, how does it say up, it looks so fragile and top-heavy?  

@ Lord Panther, that harbinger looks good, so many small details on him. Kudos for Old Ironhide as well.   

@ Velonge, another great harbinger, and so colourful, makes mine look rather drab by comparison.

@ Kirjava13, nice Skaven Dominus. As for the staff, if you can pin it that might be better. However from memory that was a fragile staff to begin with so not sure how much room you have to play with to pin it. Kisufisu’s suggestion also sounds good.

Finally bought some new batteries so here is a picture of my Harbinger. First time I have used Valhallan Blizzard, I think it worked out ok.

For next month, or this month now I guess, I am going to paint some brutes, and finish of the month one lot as I still have not done that. Oops  

large.TGA-ATaleOfXWarlords-MalignPortents-Harbinger-Fin1.JPG.a8d74337e8e633ed360a7a14b3feca44.JPGlarge.TGA-ATaleOfXWarlords-MalignPortents-Harbinger-Fin2.JPG.1ee05dc2bcee2563105ad6038166fd0e.JPG

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

I am going to paint some brutes, and finish of the month one lot as I still have not done that.

I hear that brother. Though I'm feeling quite good about getting the Doomwheel done sharpish- most of the base coating is done now, so I can move onto the more interesting stuff. After my Harbinger, I have to decide (time depending, of course) what my extra units should be. Technically I could get away with a Doomflayer, but ideally I want a squadron of three of those, so it's either them, a Warp Lightning Cannon or a unit of Acolytes, which I still need some open hands for. I already own a WLC, but I think I need Acolytes if I want to play a legal army...

Archived