Updating Ironjawz

Malakree

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Do a named character version of the Megaboss!

Whaddya reckon @Chris Tomlin? Any names spring to mind? ?

Ha! That would literally be my dream. Go on GW - make Krunk a named Ironjawz character! Even a cheeky reference to the Black Sunz would be amazing haha :P 

(to clarify, I don't for one second think that would ever happen, but it's fun to dream right! A more realistic, but still highly unlikely, aim is to just get the army in White Dwarf I guess)

8 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Hmm so looks like Lore of Beasts won't just be for Destruction (all realms are getting a full lore). So I guess whenever IJ get updated, they'll get their own waagh lore then?

I'm hoping that the maw is a destruction specific. 

The fact they state

If your army doesn’t have a battletome or spell lores to choose from yet

gives me hope for a lore of the mighty waaagh! For ironjawz!

EDIT: 

On the special characters point, I want them to add a weirdnob on Maw-Krusha as a base model then add Ka-Rokk as a special character, could have some really unique and fun rules surrounding Doggrok's skull!

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

After today's magic preview, I am guessing that the Maw spell is something from the spell-lore of Ghur.  So it would be available to everyone if the battle is taking place in Ghur.

Yeah, looks that way from what we know.

It'll be interesting to see how they do this in practice.  As Chris T pointed out to me on the Magma Dragon thread, we are currently (theoretically) picking a realm for every battle already.  It just doesn't come up much in Matched Play because there are only a couple of warscrolls in the game that depend upon it.

A couple of ways it could go:

- You always roll off for Realm in every game, and actually do it.  Then you both have access to that Realm's lore for the match.  Bit of a random factor!  And definitely good for Beerhammer.

- Event packs might say that each player can pick their own Realm as part of list submission, choose your spells from that Lore and then stick with it for the tournament?  IMO this is the most likely outcome for Matched Play events.

- Might end up being Narrative only in practice (unlikely imo, and I hope not! I want those gnashers).

What do other people think?

Any of those options would work.   

The roll-off maintains the thematic idea that the battle takes place in a realm and that magic in that realm behaves in a certain way.  At it's heart Age of Sigmar is more of a thematic/cinematic type of game than one built specifically for competitive play.  You can do competitive play within the framework they have provided, but lets not kid ourselves that it is the primary thing driving design. 

Having players choose their spell lore is pretty much no different than picking your spell lore back in previous versions of Warhammer Fantasy (assuming that your wizard had more than one lore to select from).  That system worked well for Warhammer for quite a long time.  The only issue that really popped up with magic lores in previous editions was certain spells.  Those issues were due to the spells themselves and not by how you selected spells.  That said, it may be the case that they don't want to give certain lores to armies 100% of the time in matched play - otherwise they will need to adjust costs to factor in that you would always take X,Y,Z spells.  They might want to keep some unknown factor about whether or not you can get certain spells.

An option for events to use would also be to make specific terrain tables set in certain realms.  Or, they could pick a particular realm per round of the tournament.  So in practice, you might get assigned to a table and when you walk up there is a note on the table saying that this one is in Ghur, or Shyish, or whatever.  Or they might simply announce in the pack Round 1:  Aqshy, Round 2: Ghyran, Round 3: etc.  To me, that seems like a very elegant and simple way of handling an event.  If you handle it by round and publish that ahead of time then everyone going to the event can be  prepared, look over the spells, and then submit the spells they choose for that round with their list.

Or, they could not include it in matched play.  But given how much they are hyping magic, and that they are making models for spell effects, I think they want this to be a thing that players purchase and use.  So I would bet that these will probably be included into the matched play framework that GW makes.

Hi,

I'm new to aos, I got pulled in by Deepkin and have a little 1000pt army of those,

Then I saw some Ironjawz going on ebay for a good price and dove in...I've just purchased:

One Megaboss
One Weirdnob
10 ardboyz
5 Brutes
3 Goregruntas

Set me back 65 English notes,

Have I done the right thing, what with aos2 around the corner? They look so pretty I just couldn't help myself!

1 hour ago, To1v1 said:

They look so pretty I just couldn't help myself!

This is reason good enough! But yeah, Getting any army with a battltome right now is a good indication they will stay current with the upcoming release. It is my main faction and I do pretty well with them overall. :)

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

This is reason good enough! But yeah, Getting any army with a battltome right now is a good indication they will stay current with the upcoming release. It is my main faction and I do pretty well with them overall. :)

I'll just sit back with the pretty minis and enjoy the ride then!

p.s I've seen your paint work on twitter, incredible stuff!

2 hours ago, To1v1 said:

I'll just sit back with the pretty minis and enjoy the ride then!

p.s I've seen your paint work on twitter, incredible stuff!

Yeah I would do that :D I just got myself 3 more Gore grunts up to 9 total. I'm considering trying to snag 3 more for a solid 12. 

Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my work!

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

Also we really don't know where the factions will land in 2.0 all we know is that stormcast will be top tier.

Do we really even know that?  Being the first book out of the gate, which Stormcast will undoubtedly be when they decide to rework older books, is not always an indication of strength.  

Space marines are the poster boys for 40k and they are no longer top tier.  Honestly, there is no real indicator for who will end up top tier.  In the past you could figure it out by who the designers were and what their personal favorite armies were.  That does not quite seem to be as much of an indicator as it was 5-20 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Do we really even know that?  Being the first book out of the gate, which Stormcast will undoubtedly be when they decide to rework older books, is not always an indication of strength.  

Space marines are the poster boys for 40k and they are no longer top tier.  Honestly, there is no real indicator for who will end up top tier.  In the past you could figure it out by who the designers were and what their personal favorite armies were.  That does not quite seem to be as much of an indicator as it was 5-20 years ago.

If they are NOT top tier then they will get a new hero or chamber which gives them what they need to be top tier.

Speaking of new heroes and chambers...

Maybe, but again I point you to Space Marines.

It seems to me that what makes something top tier is usually some perfect storm of army rules and core rules that GW designers rarely ever anticipate.  They don’t seem to design things to be overly good on purpose anymore. 

But they definitely did in the past.  Jervis Johnson, Gav Thorpe, and Matt Ward were all pretty notorious for their rules favoritism - mostly for 40k, but it bled into Fantasy at times also.

22 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Maybe, but again I point you to Space Marines.

It seems to me that what makes something top tier is usually some perfect storm of army rules and core rules that GW designers rarely ever anticipate.  They don’t seem to design things to be overly good on purpose anymore. 

But they definitely did in the past.  Jervis Johnson, Gav Thorpe, and Matt Ward were all pretty notorious for their rules favoritism - mostly for 40k, but it bled into Fantasy at times also.

The more options you have the easier that perfect storm is and Grand Alliance: Stormcast has both the most and the easiest combos since theirs all trigger off keyword stormcast unlike the other Grand Alliances who have sub-keywords.

32 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think Space marine problems stems from the fact that their design choice is being a jack of all trade  army that has decent option in every category but can’t do any one thing well enough to leverage an advantage.

This problem could follow suit for SCE since they have the same design choice, though I have a feeling that the strongest army are going to be the ones that abuse an oversight/ Imbalance in the new rules until the FAQ comes out.

27 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think Space marine problems stems from the fact that their design choice is being a jack of all trade  army that has decent option in every category but can’t do any one thing well enough to leverage an advantage.

This problem could follow suit for SCE since they have the same design choice, though I have a feeling that the strongest army are going to be the ones that abuse an oversight/ Imbalance in the new rules until the FAQ comes out.

I agree.  My point was mainly that being the posterboys for a game does not necessarily indicate that army being top tier anymore.  I honestly feel that the top tier armies in 40k or Age of Sigmar happen more by accident than design for the last few years.

Heck despite having some of the most options of any army ever, many SCE players don't like the current book.

Plus looking back at WFB, some of the top tier armies weren't really the main factions. Ogre Kingdoms as an example just kind of came out of nowhere with Mournfangs becoming the best cavalry in the entire game.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here is my wishlisting for both a new battletome + a wave 2.  

Wave 1 updates

• Warchanter
    • Give us a few different chants.
  • Weirdnob
    • Change Green Puke to D6+6"
  • Megaboss (foot)
    • Named Megaboss on foot.
  • Megaboss on Mawkrusha (& Gordrakk)
    • Update Innard-bursting Bellow.
      • Increase rend to -2 if shooting into engaged combat.
      • On a 6 to wound, deals 2d6 damage.
      • Make Maw-krusha’s Bladed Tail  2"
  • Gore Gruntas
    • Fanged Maw & Hooves
      • give -1 rend
      • d3 damage on ANY charge
      • d6 damage on charge of 8" or more
  • 'Ardboyz
    • They're getting cheaper again! So nothing here! Solid unit!

Here's my wishlist for a wave 2 of Jawz.

• Painboss (hero) - Let's nearby Ironjawz unit re-roll saves of 1.
  • 'Ardgitz!
    • Heavily armored goblins with a 5+!
    • Can take stabbaz with shields (re-roll saves)  or goblin crossbows! 
  • Grunta Chariot
    • Driven by brutes
    • Two versions
    • 1st version - dedicated riders, attached crossbow
    • 2nd version - serves as a transport for 5 brutes. 
  • Cleavaz
    • Brutes with giant 2H weapons. (bigger than gore choppas)
  • Chompaz
    • Baby mawkrushas that grow in size as they eat.
    • Kit would have 6 models.  2 small/2 medium/2 large
    • Minimum unit size of 2. Maximum size of 6. 
    • Has 3 transformations. Small, medium, large.  (large would be slightly smaller than a standard mawkrusha)
    • Each time a unit of Chompaz kills an enemy model. Roll a d6.
      • Chompaz have a hunger table.
      • As they kill models, they have a chance to eat them. 
      • Once they have eaten a certain number of models, they transform.
    • 8" bellow breath weapon. 
      • Small - 4+/4+  d3 damage
      • Medium - 3+/4+ -1 d3 damage
      • Large - 3+/3+ -1 d6 damage.
  • Boom Squigz (silly but fun)
    • Basically an Ironjawz update to squig handlers.
    • Larger squigs with dynamite strapped to them. 
    • Herded by 'ardgitz like models.
    • Chance to explode when advancing. When rolling a run roll of a 1, roll a d6. On a 4+ they explode.  D6 mortal wounds to each unit, friend or foe, within 3".
    • Chance to explode when activated. When activating in the combat phase, roll a d6. On the roll of a 1, the squig explodes. D6 mortal wounds to each unit, friend or foe, within 3".
    • High chance of exploding when dying. Roll of a 3+

Okay. I'm ready for ya'll to flay me. 

On 5/24/2018 at 2:14 PM, kenshin620 said:

Plus looking back at WFB, some of the top tier armies weren't really the main factions. Ogre Kingdoms as an example just kind of came out of nowhere with Mournfangs becoming the best cavalry in the entire game.

Ogre Kingdoms being top tier was a huge anomaly that seems like the GW devs really had no idea.  They basically had the perfect storm of units & abilities to exploit some of the odder mechanics in the core rules.  Ogre Kingdoms did a handful of things extremely well.  They had an army of monstrous infantry and monstrous cavalry - which both were buffed in 8th edition to be extremely good unit types.  Mournfang Cavalry were some of the best monstrous cavalry in the game.  They had stupidly cheap fast & small chaff units that were some of the best charge-redirection units in the game (Sabertooth).

And the biggest thing that Ogre Kingdoms had was that they were able to exploit the absolutely awful victory point system in the core 8th edition rules more than just about any other army in the game.  8th ed Fantasy had some good ideas and good rules in it - and it also had a chunk of truly awful and bad mechanics.  The magic lores in the core book had 95% of the truly problematic spells.  The core magic rules were poorly thought out and encouraged expendable Wizards who would commit suicide by casting the biggest nastiest spell they could get their hands on with as much power as possible.  There was no mechanic to break steadfast (steadfast was a great idea - but it needed some form of counter-play).  Monsters and heavy cavalry needed some rule to make them effective vs hordes of cheap peasants.  The scenarios in the game were pretty poor. 

And one of the worst is that the victory point system was terrible and had only awarded points for full kills of units - not for any partial kills.  Previous editions gave you victory points based on the percentage of a unit that you killed.  8th edition forced you to kill the whole thing.  This led to a whole dynamic of list-building for victory point denial and Ogre Kingdoms did that better than almost anyone.  Ogre Kingdoms could build some of the most effective "Death Star" units and trap an absurdly massive amount of points into units that you realistically stood little chance of killing.  That alone turned them into a fairly top-tier force and I expect it was completely unintended by the developers.

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 5:09 PM, Sangfroid said:

[...]

5) [...]Goregruntas jagged Hakkas damage 2 on the charge 

[...]

Sorry for the threadomancy but...

This thing @Sangfroid posted is so easy to faq that it astounds me to no end why it's not been done already. It's an easy and elegant way to make both Goregruntas weapon options attractive and define their play style as charge/tarpit units. Also in a background POV it would help differentiate between kind of "scouts" armed with pig iron choppas (like hussars) and "heavy cavalry" armed with jagged hackas (like lancers).

Archived