Choosing a Dorf Army

RaritanAnon

So I really want to get into AoS, coming from 40k. 8th Ed is sorta rubbing me the wrong way so I'd like to have an alternate game to play whenever I head to the store. You know what I mean?

I've basically settled on Fyreslayers and Dispossessed as the two I'd like to start up. I've always loved the old Dwarf minis and always told myself I would play a Dwarf army in WHFB if I ever got to that point. Well here I am in a much better game, and there's still Dwarfs. On the other hand, I really really love the Fyreslayer models and rules. They're unique, for sure. Albeit mostly naked, so painting might be a chore and a half.

So the issue that I'm running into is this: Fyreslayers turn into a hordey 'spam Vulkites' list past 1000pts. Fyreslayers only have 3 choices for Battleline/Troops, and you're heavily encouraged to take them in bulk, and there's only so much you can do with the models to make them stand out from one another. Dispossessed largely lack a lot of flavor to their units, albeit they have more distinctive options. Dispossessed don't have any future model support (that we know of) and are an allegiance-only faction (GHB2017).

I was considering starting a Fyreslayer army at 1000pts and going from there, but then I did a lot of soul searching and I would be a darn fool if I didn't take advantage of the '30 Vulkites' ward save nonsense that they get. So even at 1000pts I'm running around with a hassle-load of naked dwarfs as the core of my army. And at 2000pts my only option is to up that count o 60, or even 90. That's not only expensive, it's ridiculous to paint too.

So then I looked into starting a 1000pts of Dispossessed and didn't find that much of an issue really. I could even add in some Gyrobombers or a Cannon and still keep a good theme going. The problem with Dispo' is that they're rather boring. The only unit with a special rule are the Longbeards, aside from the various ranged weapon buffs for not moving and whatnot. Plus, they don't have any sort of 'centerpiece' behemoth or anything of the sort and are largely boring.

The last option is to take Dispossessed with Fyreslayer allies, though that only allows me, say, a single Magmadroth in 1000pts and maybe an additional squad of Hearthguard in 2000pts. Not exactly the best option, but it could work.

Then there's the VERY last option of just playing Grand Alliance: Order and just taking whatever I want. I lose out on both of their Allegiance abilities and artifacts just to sate my wanting to mix the armies for flavor purposes. This is probably not the best option.

What should I do folks? Am I listening to fearmongering about squatting Dispossessed too hard that I can't decide? Should I just do Fyreslayers to 1000pts and never grow to 2000? Should I just do regular Dorfs and take a bunch of allies? 

I am in a similar situation. Started painting some Dwarf  units I had in boxes and now I have a small dispossessed force that I do not know how to expand.

I believe the best option would be to have a main force of dispossessed and just some fyreslayers as allies. The plan would be to combine the pickaxe teleport move + a runesmiter allie teleport ability so to have some mobility when needed

If you are a guy that enjoys tournies and wanna do well at them, invest more at Fyreslayers. Dispossessed are having a really hard time atm and Fyreslayers are on fire - they pretty much will dominate the scene this year *unless Papa Nurgle has other plans of course !

11 hours ago, elhion said:

I am in a similar situation. Started painting some Dwarf  units I had in boxes and now I have a small dispossessed force that I do not know how to expand.

I believe the best option would be to have a main force of dispossessed and just some fyreslayers as allies. The plan would be to combine the pickaxe teleport move + a runesmiter allie teleport ability so to have some mobility when needed

That was sort of my plan. Aurics and Runesmiter is probably the best allies for Dispossessed. Though I'm still not sold on who I want to really bulk out the force with. Slayers or Dwarfs.

20 minutes ago, Seraphage said:

If you are a guy that enjoys tournies and wanna do well at them, invest more at Fyreslayers. Dispossessed are having a really hard time atm and Fyreslayers are on fire - they pretty much will dominate the scene this year *unless Papa Nurgle has other plans of course !

I'm not hugely competitive, no. I'm more into making a good looking army that fits the fluff or theme that I want, and learning how to play it well, not it being OP out of the box. Right now I just want to get a good 1000pts up and play some games and see where I want to go from there. From the Batreps that I've read, yeah, Fyreslayers are really good, but you see everyone running 90 Vulkites in them! I don't want to run another horde army. Not again. -shudders in 3rd ed Orkz-

9 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Are chaos Dwarfs still a thing? I thought they died off a long time ago. Quick googling sees them as a Forgeworld only army. And I don't have that kind of dosh lying around. Plus, chaos isn't my forte.

Still a thing.  Still around.  They got a new named unit the other year. 

Actually, Fyreslayers and Kharadron are just as expensive, if not more than the FW counterparts.

Fyreslayers are more pricey, dispossessed have more options and a heafty used market. 

I have built a 2500 pt dispossessed army and like it. It may struggle in a tourney but does well on my local scene.

The Kharadron Overlord army I built was fun to paint, model light, had monsters, and could do well vs new armies.

A buddy of mine has startes fyreslayers, and while the start collecting helps, they are still pricey. Remember that they have much better hero selection than dispossessed. You can always run another to fill your gaps. 

I often use ironbreakers in my KO Army and Endrinriggers in my Dispossessed.

31 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Still a thing.  Still around.  They got a new named unit the other year. 

Actually, Fyreslayers and Kharadron are just as expensive, if not more than the FW counterparts.

Well, you may be right, but Azgorh seems really about seige engines and playing super defensively from what I see and I just can't abide that. Plus, I don't care for the models much.

1 minute ago, Cerlin said:

Fyreslayers are more pricey, dispossessed have more options and a heafty used market. 

I have built a 2500 pt dispossessed army and like it. It may struggle in a tourney but does well on my local scene.

The Kharadron Overlord army I built was fun to paint, model light, had monsters, and could do well vs new armies.

A buddy of mine has startes fyreslayers, and while the start collecting helps, they are still pricey. Remember that they have much better hero selection than dispossessed. You can always run another to fill your gaps. 

I often use ironbreakers in my KO Army and Endrinriggers in my Dispossessed.

I didn't care much for KO when I read through their Battletome. Something just didn't fit right with me, even if some of the models are kinda cool. I wasn't a fan of the Endrinriggers or the big Airships, though. Something about the 'not-a-balloon' irked me.

Currently I'm leaning towards doing Dispossessed with Fyreslayer allies, but at the same time, I feel like I should do Fyreslayers instead. I just don't want to burn my wallet doing so. And then having to paint upwards of 90 naked stunties. It's more intimidating than it should be, I think.

If I do Dispossessed, at the very least I'll have an army with a variety of units in it, not just the few that Fyreslayers has. Plus they can take Ironweld pretty fluffily. I'm not 100% sold either way though. I feel like I'm gonna have regrets whichever way I go.

What do you guys think about doing Tempest's Eye, and running Fyreslayers for my Ally points? Since that's objectively better than GA: Order. If I did that, would I be restricted to Order only traits/artefacts? Just a thought, in case I wanted to run all three armies at once feasibly.

7 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

What do you guys think about doing Tempest's Eye, and running Fyreslayers for my Ally points? Since that's objectively better than GA: Order. If I did that, would I be restricted to Order only traits/artefacts? Just a thought, in case I wanted to run all three armies at once feasibly.

I think a block of 30 Vulkites could work pretty well at blunting charges.

8 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

You are correct, with the FAQ/Errata for Firestorm you can build a Dispossessed army, but you would have to use the Order allegiance abilities if you wanted to combo it with Tempest's Eye.

So when you build a Dispossessed allegiance, you can then choose to either use the Dispossessed allegiance abilities or the Order + Tempests Eye (or other Great City they're eligible for) allegiance abilities.

As to your original question. Certainly I think one of the disadvantages of Fyreslayers is that you're basically painting very similar models over and over. They may have centrepieces in the Magmadroths, but you're going to be painting a ton of expensive naked mohawk Duardin.

Dispossessed on the other hand do have a little variety in their model range, but as you mentioned, certainly aren't as powerful and do lack a centrepiece model. That can be fine, I don't necessarily think every army needs some kind of 'large' centrepiece model. Sometimes there's an elegance in just having a horde of infantry and war machines and having your infantry characters stand out a little more.

Overall though, it largely comes down to what you want out of the army. If you want something more competitive with more interesting allegiance abilities and likely to be supported with more releases in future, got Fyreslayers. If you want an army that's cheaper to  collect, more model variety currently and still has a trick or two up it's sleeve, then go for the Dispossessed.

3 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

You are correct, with the FAQ/Errata for Firestorm you can build a Dispossessed army, but you would have to use the Order allegiance abilities if you wanted to combo it with Tempest's Eye.

So when you build a Dispossessed allegiance, you can then choose to either use the Dispossessed allegiance abilities or the Order + Tempests Eye (or other Great City they're eligible for) allegiance abilities.

As to your original question. Certainly I think one of the disadvantages of Fyreslayers is that you're basically painting very similar models over and over. They may have centrepieces in the Magmadroths, but you're going to be painting a ton of expensive naked mohawk Duardin.

Dispossessed on the other hand do have a little variety in their model range, but as you mentioned, certainly aren't as powerful and do lack a centrepiece model. That can be fine, I don't necessarily think every army needs some kind of 'large' centrepiece model. Sometimes there's an elegance in just having a horde of infantry and war machines and having your infantry characters stand out a little more.

Overall though, it largely comes down to what you want out of the army. If you want something more competitive with more interesting allegiance abilities and likely to be supported with more releases in future, got Fyreslayers. If you want an army that's cheaper to  collect, more model variety currently and still has a trick or two up it's sleeve, then go for the Dispossessed.

Thank you for the long reply. 

I think at the end of the day I'm either going to go Tempest's Eye and run Ironweld+Dispossessed mainly, or just straight Dispossessed with Ironweld or Fyreslayer Allies. I think the bit about similar looking models was the nail in the coffin to by quite honest. Since yeah, the models are good, but they're all the same largely. Plus, I don't think Dwarfs are in any danger of dying out like Tomb Kings or Bretonnia. 

I would say build towards a fun looking combo army of 1k points, then try to get a couple games with it. It really helps you see the kinnks and the parts you like.

Also do not give up easy. The first couple times with a new army can be rough. 

I have 5 armies now and Dispossessed are still my favorite. It took a while to get a good feel for them.

8 minutes ago, Cerlin said:

I would say build towards a fun looking combo army of 1k points, then try to get a couple games with it. It really helps you see the kinnks and the parts you like.

Also do not give up easy. The first couple times with a new army can be rough. 

I have 5 armies now and Dispossessed are still my favorite. It took a while to get a good feel for them.

Where do you suggest I start? I played around and came to this list, because I really want a Cannon. I'm very fond of organ guns and blasting things in general. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Monstrous Cheaters
Runelord (80)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Warden King (120)
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Irondrakes (200)
10 x Thunderers (120)
Cannon (180)
- Allies

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 180 / 200
Wounds: 64

@RaritanAnon

That looks like a good list to me.

Probably I would split the Warriors into two units of 10 at this points. 20 Warriors don't really seem useful to me, I think either you take 10's or larger units.

Also unsure about the Runelord as the General. Having thought about it, I get what you're doing. You make the Runelord the general to hand out inspiring presence while the Longbeards enable the Warden King to use his. Just wondering if ultimately this is really worth it. The Longbeards could die, or you might want to use one of their other grumbling abilities in addition to the command ability which puts you in a tough spot.

Anyway, I guess that's something you can work out in time.

Funnily enough, I can build that exact army with models I have at the moment... and Dispossessed have been something I've definitely been considering... and I am running a 1200 point tournament in April... Hmm....

On 29-12-2017 at 10:03 PM, RaritanAnon said:

So I really want to get into AoS, coming from 40k. 8th Ed is sorta rubbing me the wrong way so I'd like to have an alternate game to play whenever I head to the store. You know what I mean?

To get back to this.. have you tried a game of AoS? If you liked older editions of 40k but don't like 8th.. do you think AoS is the game for you? From every thing I heard 8th has moved from older rules towards AoS like rules... Will You like aos if you don't like 8th ed. 40k?

15 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

To get back to this.. have you tried a game of AoS? If you liked older editions of 40k but don't like 8th.. do you think AoS is the game for you? From every thing I heard 8th has moved from older rules towards AoS like rules... Will You like aos if you don't like 8th ed. 40k?

I actually haven't, but I'm not liking 8th 40k because I play Grey Knights and feel massively underpowered. Not that the edition is bad. It's nothing but better than before. 

So if I want to take a lot of Copters and Warmachines, my only option is to go Grand Alliance or Tempest's Eye I suppose? Seems crappy.  Something like this perhaps? The extra movement would really help. 

Allegiance: Tempest's Eye
Cogsmith (100)
- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Reckless
- Artefact: Relic Blade
10 x Warriors (80)
10 x Warriors (80)
10 x Ironbreakers (160)