What could the next faction be?

AthlorianStoners

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/25/2017 at 7:03 AM, bsharitt said:

I would love to see a faction Barbarian humans in GA Destruction, but apparently all the human barbarians have to worship chaos.

I thought about that a while back.  Living out in the Badlands, wearing mainly loincloths and pelts (and little else), surviving by hunting the great beasts of Ghur.  Running around with crude spears, primitive bows and arrows, and similar flint age weaponry.

Worshipping Gork and Mork, and wielding some powerful magic they don't fully understand - maybe even getting bonuses for casting on a double, to emphasise the unpredictable "force of nature" element?

Yeah, whenever I thought about how it would work in practice...I kept coming back to Bonesplitterz, who are essentially Barbarians in Green.  I think it would make a cool conversion army for someone very skilled though!

10 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I doubt it given the moonclan are already a shroom and cave-themed army. Maybe though. 

They could do with the Moonclan what they did with the Orruk Ironjawz; take a normal Orc, and crank it up to eleven.

"Moonclan have a minor mushroom theme? Let's turn it to the max!"

1 hour ago, Mangod said:

They could do with the Moonclan what they did with the Orruk Ironjawz; take a normal Orc, and crank it up to eleven.

"Moonclan have a minor mushroom theme? Let's turn it to the max!"

Thats almost definitely what they're doing. I imagine that they will release a bunch of new models a shroom theme. The current models are showing their age.

24 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Thats almost definitely what they're doing. I imagine that they will release a bunch of new models a shroom theme. The current models are showing their age.

In terms of the heroes and squigs, absolutely. They need updating asap. As we've seen from the shaman, I think they are going to really get creative with them. Hell, maybe they'll make one have a mushroom weapon similar to the sylvaneth making theirs out of wood

The Mangler Squig, however, could remain resin imo because it looks good, but I can totally get on board with a plastic version. Perhaps the FW colossal squig and Squig Gobba become plastic kits as well

The basic Night Goblins themselves received new plastics in 7th edition and plastic fanatics in 8th. Since they kept them around from Fantasy to AOS, I think they will remain as is.

However, imagine they make a semi-elite bruisers unit, a group of super-powered mushroom educed grots with rend who are as strong as Ardboyz, but have tricky rules that make them a pain in the butt for opponents to fight

I'm all for model updates but can't see them making a moonclan mushroom spin-off faction given that the cave theme goes across multiple units in the 'clan. Also the heralds are all from existing factions, i thought. 

Ideally i wanna see the older models get updates, plus a tougher general eg on an armored cave squig. Or shaman on collosal squig or something. Oh and cave-related deployment behind enemy lines - the sneaky faction needs to sneak more. 

Seems the plan for the game is that every faction has a giant monster for a general to ride, and get movement shenanigans. Maybe the bad moon itself will become a god-unit. 

1 minute ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

So there's a good chance the moon clans are getting that update very soon?

When it comes to any range out side of Stormcast or Space Marines, it's not safe to count on an update soon, but there are at least some signs of life when it comes to Moonclan with a new hero, which also helps make being left out of the GHB2017 seem like more of a good thing(as opposed to all those elf factions that got left out and probably aren't getting anything).

5 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

When it comes to any range out side of Stormcast or Space Marines, it's not safe to count on an update soon, but there are at least some signs of life when it comes to Moonclan with a new hero, which also helps make being left out of the GHB2017 seem like more of a good thing(as opposed to all those elf factions that got left out and probably aren't getting anything).

It's also, if you look at nurgle they were left out of GBH2017 as well and literally just got their battletome. Bodes well for the moonclan, and awful for Ironjawz warscroll updates QQ 

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

It's also, if you look at nurgle they were left out of GBH2017 as well and literally just got their battletome. Bodes well for the moonclan, and awful for Ironjawz warscroll updates QQ 

Lots of technically complete factions(i.e. they have leaders and battleline units) that don't have a battletome were left out of the GHB(Greenskinz, Gutbusters and the aforementioned elves to name a few), but I doubt that all or even most of them are getting books this year and I didn't think Moonclan would get anything until mushroom head showed up and I was planning to run a mixed destruction army with mine. Now I have just a enough hope to wait and see what happens.

7 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Perfect B|

Yeah I don't think the whole Mushroom idea is that they will break Moonclan down into further subfactions - just that they might refocus who they are / what their lore is.  It would still be Moonclan, but with their own place in the Mortal Realms (is how I'm seeing it). 

They do like to do focus a faction around "they are motivated to collect XYZ physical object", be it ur-gold, the bones of great beasts, aether-gold, shadeglass and maybe now psychedelic 'shrooms?  It does seem to work pretty well too!  It gives them a hook, and potential for in-game mechanics that instantly feel thematic, even if the lore is new.

32 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

Greenskinz could use some serious love. Allegiance abilities at the very least, but preferably a full battletome. Fat chance with GW loving their Ironjawz too much though, I know.

Bonesplitterz does have a battletome, so they're willing to at least acknowledge other non-Ironjawz orcs.

9 hours ago, tom_gore said:

Greenskinz could use some serious love. Allegiance abilities at the very least, but preferably a full battletome. Fat chance with GW loving their Ironjawz too much though, I know.

I doubt they'll get a book, but they really should have got Allegiance abilities in GH17.  Likewise Gutbusters.

The Destruction section at the back was such a wafer-thin sliver compared to everything else.  Fingers crossed for GH18!

I think ordinary orcs are nearly there too with regards to being AoS ready.  Model wise, a trio of new plastic warboss models.  One on a wyvern (or a new monster?), one on foot and one on a boar.  The current warboss kit could be reimagined as a big boss, a secondary commander.  A new plastic shaman too.  Actually, the new boar boss and a boar shaman could share the same kit.  A new, bigger and meaner boar chariot that better matches the boar boyz (with the option to put a boss in it?).  Then the return of arrow boyz.  Options for both bows and crossbows?  And the regular kit?  Double its size up to 20 orcs please.

So that would be six new kits.  That's achievable right?  Then the usual battle traits, command traits, spells and artefacts.  Done and done!

Maybe they could do with a new name as well.  Green skinz is very generic. 

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

I doubt they'll get a book, but they really should have got Allegiance abilities in GH17.  Likewise Gutbusters.

The Destruction section at the back was such a wafer-thin sliver compared to everything else.  Fingers crossed for GH18!

So IronJawz was the only destruction faction to get anything in the GHB2017, but the Bonesplitterz and Beastclaw Battletomes are "modern" ones with all the allegiance stuff, right? So even if only Moonclan gets a battle tome, Destruction wouldn't be doing that bad on the allegiance stuff front, especially when compared to a ration of total factions. Of course it'd still be nice to see everybody get something. Ideally if it were up to me, I'd combine Moonclan and Spiderfangs into a mushroom munching, forest dwelling goblin faction, combine the Gutbusters, maneaters and fire bellies into and "other ogres" faction, and greenskins and gitmob into a, well greenskins faction that now has goblins to. Leave the giants and trolls as universal allies.

• 1 month later...

As is my want, I love trying to guess and predict new factions so having another guess based on recent stuff. I’d say these factions would come out within the next three years: 

- Battletome: Moonclan

- Battletome: Gutbusters

- Battletome: (new faction)  

Moonclan and Gutbusters make a lot of sense imo, and have A fairly large model Range.

In terms of new factions, there’s a few ways they could go. 

Storm Gargants are something I’d really love to see, huge elementals who are the ancestors of aleguzzlers returned.

desert warriors with insect beasts and chitin armour would also be really really cool.

Barbarian Celtic humans with forest beasts, like bears and owls and things like that.

I think in terms of spiderfang, gutbusters, and moonclan, rather than a battletome they all stand a chance of getting allegiance abilities in the next generals handbook. Granted it was just Ironjawz last time, but this time its a much better chance for one of these three, or possibly two of them. 

I think with the destruction faction the problem has been that destruction has always just been seen as ogre tribes and greenskins, even back in fantasy both armies weren't considered chaos, order, or death, but just armies that went around sacking, raiding and killing. A new destruction faction that isn't greenskin or ogor to get a new book would be great, as destruction in my opinion has the most characterful armies in the game. 

Whether its an army of screaming bonesplitterz, the cobbled together armies of the hulking ironjawz, the mass of fur, flesh, stone and ice that is the beastclaw raiders. right now we have three pretty good battle tomes for destruction. But i do think we need a new army that isn't ogor or greenskin to come out, just to add more variety to the forces of destruction. and of course add more bits to the pile ;p 

IMO with Legions of Nagash dropping, it'll be interesting to see what happens for the future of sub-faction armies. What I'm hoping is it leads to a trend of consolidating factions that have a thematic link which Games Workshop are not interested in evolving further (or perhaps, not in the roadmap).

Out of Destruction factions that exist, in my opinion only Moonclan and Spiderfang Grots have strong enough identities to further develop.

For the rest, I'd like to see them consolidated into two battletomes:

Ogor Tribes - Gutbusters, Maneaters, Firebellies. Mainly this is because I don't really see them expanding Maneaters and Firebellies into full factions, so they may as well join the Gutbuster fun train and gain benefits from allegiance abilities (Similarly to how Deathmages gain what they need by being in the combined Legions tome). A spell lore for Firebellies might give them so much needed love, while the Gutbusters as a whole are a pretty well rounded faction anyway and just need some more interesting allegiance abilities to prop them up IMO.

Rampaging Hordes - Greenskinz, Gitmob Grots, Troggoths and Aleguzzler Gargants. A return to the Orcs and Goblins of old! Again, some good allegiance abilities would go a long way to making the core factions (greenskinz and gitmob) interesting to play. You can of course make this army today as both have 'true' battleline options, but the Destruction allegiances and the one dimensional spells and buffs restrict this army from breaking out. I really hope this 'is a thing' in the future, as the kind of vanilla rampaging hordes style is what made me buy a Orcs and Goblins army back in the first place. Lore of Big and Little Waaagh! please :).

Of course, I want to see what kind of iconic race Games Workshop can develop for Destruction as well though. Something new and interesting, that's not just another variation of Orc or Goblin. The likes of a completely new race would be super interesting to see but might be hard to find a place within Destruction in terms of allies. Definitely want to see the old stuff get some love, but super interested to see what GW can come up with as well.

Archived