S133arcanite

Last year John Blanche hosted an event called The Pilgrym: It featured several converted warbands set in the 40k universe (all characters had background and their own model) and ended in a huge multiplayer battle, in which the players wrote their own rules. The picture below is one of the  converted warbands.

I was reading White Dwarf the other day, coming across this, and thought it might be fun to do an AoS version of the same thing. You'd need a converted and painted  warband of about five or six models, and the background could be written as a whole. The game would be using skirmish rules, in the sense that everything would be it's own unit, but monsters would definitely be allowed,  as would models not specifically mentioned in the skirmish book. Any thoughts, ideas or anything would certaintly be welcome.

Image result for pilgrym

Glad I'm not the only one who's been wanting to see this in AoS. However, there are a few hurdles to getting such an event up and running.

In my opinion, the rules are the least of your worries. Skirmish is a decent (but unbalanced) ruleset, that could be supplemented by various house rules and add-ons to enrich the narrative theme. But more importantly is getting the spirit of the event you're after.

The main element is the players who will take part in the event.

Pilgrym (and the other Inq28 related events/campaigns/blogs) is huge on the story-telling side, probably more so than the great conversion work that goes into it. Not all hobbyists delve this deep into this style of narrative gaming, so you'd have to consider the size of the event and how you're planning to attract/invite the right crowd. From what I understand, Pilgrym was an invitational, with the players being renowned bloggers in the Inq28 scene. The closest we've had to that is in the AoS28 scene (see the stickied thread in the Narrative sub-forum and on Facebook).

Next would be the venue and terrain. Such a hobby-fest screams out for delicious tables filled with evocative scenery. Do you have something in mind? Do you have people who can pool resources to build the terrain pieces?

The third most important factor would likely be the theme & overall storyline of the event itself. This would flesh out and inspire the creation of the players' warbands. This would also feed into the terrain pieces used.

Of course, all of the above can be ignored/simplified if you just want to do a simple day of skirmish gaming, but I do hope someone's up for the challenge of making the AoS version of Pilgrym. All the best if that's you!

@ThornshieldThanks for the feedback

Of course, storytelling and narrative are very important parts of the event, and I was hoping to write/create a storyline as a community. I have a few ideas about setting and warband objectives ( something about Ulgu and a semidivine search for pools of magic hidden in the realm of shadow) but I wanted to make it clear that there aren't any set rules yet.

Of course, terrain would be a big factor, and I have a little bit myself, but, depending on the number of participants, this would probably not be enough. Of course, if the participants would bring their own terrain that would be great, but I was hoping to host it in Warhammer World in Nottingham, so there would be spare terrain there. If needs be I could phone up GW and explain the situation, from my experience they would be more than happy to help.

In terms of the people involved, if I see a really good set of conversions on tga community I will usually invite them to take part (feel free to do the same), but anyone is able to join in if they want.

PS if anyone has any warband ideas, conversions or narratives that would be great:D

If we are setting it the realm of shadows, I've written some background for my Beastclaw: Their leader, Vorkar Bloodice (the frostlord on foot in my other post), is obsessed with spreading the Everwinter curse to all who stand in his way. This simply out of spite; having been chased by the curse all his life, he can't bear, and finding no other way of stopping it, seeks to share his burden amongst the other denizens  of the mortal realms. His spear is made out of the purest ice, and as such has the power to transform all who stand in his way into a frost sabre. His warscroll is below; I used the Frostlord attacks from the real model, and substituted the rest based on other ogor characters.

If we decide to set it in another scenario I would be happy to adapt. 

vorkar-bloodice.pdf

This does sound interesting.

Have you contacted the people who ran the Pilgrym event? As far as I know John Blanche took part in it, but the initiation came from indipendend hobbyist and the organization was most definitely handled independently. The event had its own website, you can propably find a contact through that. Might also pay of to contact some participants.

Something like this is a huge commitment, you should be well prepared if you want to take that plunge. So I think you should first thing seek out all the advice you can get from those involved in the event that inspired you.

Archived