Allies in Open Play (or lack thereof)

mumperpa

I found it rather interesting that allies don't work in Open Play because without points allowed for them, they take you out of your allegiance. It seemed rather stupid that in Matched Play you can have units that aren't in your allegiance, but in Open Play, where you are supposed to have complete freedom, you can't. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were and if there are any official statements saying otherwise? I was thinking you could just say one in every 5 units can be chosen from the potential allies and keep allegiance, but of course that ends up being a house rule. 

Well, it’s Open Play. It’s intention is to play any way you like. In theory you can use any alligiance abilities you like, or even make your own. The best you’re gonna get on this is a house rule, I doubt there will be an official ruling because of the point of Open Play.

• 2 weeks later...

Really with Open Play you're basically agreeing on balance with your opponent, should not be so hard to say you're taking XYZ allied to your main faction, is it okay if you treat it like Matched Play allies and still get to keep your main allegiance.

On 12/22/2017 at 4:50 PM, mumperpa said:

I found it rather interesting that allies don't work in Open Play because without points allowed for them, they take you out of your allegiance. It seemed rather stupid that in Matched Play you can have units that aren't in your allegiance, but in Open Play, where you are supposed to have complete freedom, you can't. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were and if there are any official statements saying otherwise? I was thinking you could just say one in every 5 units can be chosen from the potential allies and keep allegiance, but of course that ends up being a house rule. 

Just talk to your opponent. That's the best part of open play. You would like to play allies? Just agree to do so! 

And if you want to keep the balance in your army right. The points for allies are 20% in matched play. So roughly that will do. 

• 2 months later...

in open play you can work with the full scale of your imagination and creative/narrative thinking.

Talk while setting up units with your opponent so you deploy troops of equal quality. Like in the starting days of AoS communication is key to a nice gaming-day.

Archived