Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Will Myers

Malign Portents

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I had always seen that more in these terms:

A Daemon is an entity in the Warp. They do have souls, since souls are also entities of the Warp, only that they are the soul itself.

If they want to enter our realm (out of need, greed, hunger or boredom) they need either a bridge (like a warpstorm or some such event that links both dimensions), a host that tethers their body to their soul (may be a person, an animal, an object...) or, in some cases, a complex ritual or situation that gives birth to a body inhabitated by the daemon, or created a body of flesh for the daemon to inhabit; this way the daemon has its supposedly true form in the "materium".

Hence all the daemon skulls we see around.

ok  lets just shelve this one until GW give us a proper explanation, otherwise we'll be at it all day long! :)

 

more importantly - https://malignportents.com/story/the-forgotten-dead/

The new story is absolutely great - I wonder if this in part is linked to the nighthaunts - perhaps Nagash has a very special hatred for them and thus punishing them for their part in this greatest of sins, :)

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

ok  lets just shelve this one until GW give us a proper explanation, otherwise we'll be at it all day long! :)

 

more importantly - https://malignportents.com/story/the-forgotten-dead/

The new story is absolutely great - I wonder if this in part is linked to the nighthaunts - perhaps Nagash has a very special hatred for them and thus punishing them for their part in this greatest of sins, :)

Yeah, I was thinking this might be the origin story for the newly expanded Nighthaunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job, Sigmar.

Sends Stormcast to find Alarielle - Stormcast lead the hosts of Nurgle straight to her doorstep.

Sends Stormcast to find the last surviving Deathgod - Stormcast reveal the god to Nagash.

Apparently godforged giants in huge suits of flashy icon laden armor are not well suited to clandestine missions. Who would have thought?

 

Mocking Sigmar aside (he deserves it :P), another great story.

I do not think these are the background of any specific Nighthaunt, but another look at the Underworlds in general.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the subtle  references, such as the storm sabre indicating that she is a Vanguard Hunter, and also the black plate, a clear sign of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer. A great story as usual!

I know that the current narrative is focused on Soul Wars and the struggle of Sigmar against Nagash, but going forward i'd like to see the other factions playing a more active role as well. Especially the Chaos gods who have a lot to lose if Nagash triumphs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like Chaos is reeling right now, which is weird/awesome.  Wonder what we'll see as a response.  Throw Archaon at the problem maybe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a nice story, especially because of all the subtle ways reaching Realm's End in Shyish tamper with one's mind, memories and perception of the flow of time, Shyish being a place where time doesn't necessarily bring to death, and what's a life lived but a collection of memories. Nice concepts behind the narrative. This is what I want, high concept worldbuilding, and not fights and battle scenes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, while everybody seem occupied with pointless matters like rules ( :P ) , I noticed something : the leaked GHB points for the Stormcast mention a new Unique character (even more costly than the Celestant Prime), Aventis Firestrike, Magister of Hammerhal. He is supposed to be the guy on the new flying mount from the attached artwork. 

I can tell you we already heard about him ! Yes, in this MP short story : The Good and the Great, follow-up of Cause Célèbre. Amazing right ? :D 

Aventis Firestrike is apparently a member of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave (the Stormrift Conclave, based on Azyrheim's Lord of the Heavenhall). He seats there as the "judiciary representative of the Stormcast Eternals" : https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-and-the-good/ 

(Oh and Malendrek from this story is apparently the bad guy in the "Battle for Glymmsforge" too : https://malignportents.com/story/the-hero-of-glymmsforge/ )

pdJpT9x-kMDKpdZFZvG1e0lWRqkarJ8GqUfI9hbrNHk.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 4:16 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

So, while everybody seem occupied with pointless matters like rules ( :P ) , I noticed something : the leaked GHB points for the Stormcast mention a new Unique character (even more costly than the Celestant Prime), Aventis Firestrike, Magister of Hammerhal. He is supposed to be the guy on the new flying mount from the attached artwork. 

I can tell you we already heard about him ! Yes, in this MP short story : The Good and the Great, follow-up of Cause Célèbre. Amazing right ? :D 

Aventis Firestrike is apparently a member of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave (the Stormrift Conclave, based on Azyrheim's Lord of the Heavenhall). He seats there as the "judiciary representative of the Stormcast Eternals" : https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-and-the-good/ 

(Oh and Malendrek from this story is apparently the bad guy in the "Battle for Glymmsforge" too : https://malignportents.com/story/the-hero-of-glymmsforge/ )

pdJpT9x-kMDKpdZFZvG1e0lWRqkarJ8GqUfI9hbrNHk.jpg

Ahh great spot about these stories. So Malendrek is the one who opened the gate right? This leads in to the battle of Glymmsforge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

We know...

https://malignportents.com/story/nagashizzar-resurgent/

Best story yet (though I am biased)

Wow best story. What I really liked it that it showed Nagash knows literally EVERYTHING about a certain vampire. Also immortality for everyone! LOL :D Chaos can't corrupt anything if everyone is undead or their souls are one with nagashizzar. Geez it's a chilling and dark thought that this is likely the sure fire way to end chaos. What I also like about this story it shows a contrast of how Nagash possibly was in the past compared to now. 

You also know what's scary as well? Nagash is so sure he is doing the right thing and maybe he is in the context of warhammer. 

‘THROUGH DEATH I WILL ACHIEVE WHAT SIGMAR THE SOUL-THIEF NEVER COULD. I WILL HAVE ORDER. UNQUESTIONED. UNENDING. AND WITH THAT ORDER, I WILL PURGE CHAOS FROM THE MORTAL REALMS.’

Edited by shinros
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not yet... 

I really, really like Manfred! He is so hard to predict and this was exactly the reason i loved so much the last two realmgate novels. That relationship between him and the Stormcasts, betrayal and then, i dare say regret? He tried to help Tarsus at the end in the Hunt for Nagash if i recall correctly. 

That's why, i think he is going to help the Stormcasts defeat Nagash eventually. An eternity being a slave to the most powerful God in the Realms, doesn't quite fit this rebelious vampire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SirPergrin said:

Not yet... 

I really, really like Manfred! He is so hard to predict and this was exactly the reason i loved so much the last two realmgate novels. That relationship between him and the Stormcasts, betrayal and then, i dare say regret? He tried to help Tarsus at the end in the Hunt for Nagash if i recall correctly. 

That's why, i think he is going to help the Stormcasts defeat Nagash eventually. An eternity being a slave to the most powerful God in the Realms, doesn't quite fit this rebelious vampire. 

Nah, if you have white dwarf you see what happens after this story. The whole point of Manny's character is that he can't escape servitude. Doesn't stop him from trying though, also he doesn't like stormcasts he only likes Tarsus he does not care for the rest. 

What I do like for once Mannfred was actually in awe of Nagash lol. 

Edited by shinros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure... Nagash will probably have successes at the start of Soul Wars, but Mannfred was never eager to serve. I won't be surprised if at the last moment he will ruin everything (for Nagash) because of his arrogance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, michu said:

I'm not so sure... Nagash will probably have successes at the start of Soul Wars, but Mannfred was never eager to serve. I won't be surprised if at the last moment he will ruin everything (for Nagash) because of his arrogance.

We kinda see what happens to the pyramid at the start of soul wars. It has nothing to do with Mannfred, I recommend if people haven't read the white dwarf sample to do so. It details how essentially the necroquake occurs. In context of this story it was meant to be far larger from the looks of things. 

Edited by shinros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, michu said:

at the last moment he will ruin everything (for Nagash) because of his arrogance.

I’m not so sure that it will be arrogance, or understanding that if all is one in Nagash ... then his ability to rebel will be greatly impaired ... and if all of the living are gone ... well .. there goes the Vampire snack pool... ;) 

Edited by TheOtherJosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shinros said:

We kinda see what happens to the pyramid at the start of soul wars. It has nothing to do with Mannfred, I recommend if people haven't read the white dwarf sample to do so. It details how essentially the necroquake occurs. In context of this story it was meant to be far larger from the looks of things. 

I'm aware of what happened of Nagashizzar, but that's just the start of Soul Wars - there will be more opportunities for Mannfred to foil his master plans. And @TheOtherJosh could be right - no living beings no blood for Mannfred and other vampires.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, michu said:

I'm aware of what happened of Nagashizzar, but that's just the start of Soul Wars - there will be more opportunities for Mannfred to foil his master plans. And @TheOtherJosh could be right - no living beings no blood for Mannfred and other vampires.

 

Vampires don't need blood to survive.  Also Nagash being a god and per GW if a god controls the mortal realms they will be equal to a chaos god, I think Nagash can easily maintain the blood suckers if necessary.  

Edited by shinros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I can agree, but there's always out-of-universe argument - if Nagash wins, everything is dead and taht means no game for us. So something definitely will go wrong. :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, michu said:

Ok, I can agree, but there's always out-of-universe argument - if Nagash wins, everything is dead and taht means no game for us. So something definitely will go wrong. :)

Well yeah it goes wrong in the first chapter of soul wars lol. Reading this story the necroquake should of been far worse. Phil kelly even said that tzeentch has manipulated things slightly to actually cause magic to go haywire due to what Nagash has done to develop the endless spells. I suspect the events of chapter 1 plays into that. 

Also to go back on manny. 

It's pretty hard to foil someone if he can read you like an open book. What I am getting from mannfred's story in AOS is that he is stuck in servitude. No matter how hard he schemes no matter how hard he tries he will never escape. But what people find fun and interesting about the character is the fact he keeps trying.  

"Nagash turned back and fixed his gaze on Mannfred again. At once, the Mortarch felt his master’s abyssal vision pierce him, his mind laid bare for the Great Necromancer to see. His innermost ambition, his secret desire for supremacy, his futile attempts at subterfuge were exhumed from within his being. Nagash saw all that he was, and Mannfred felt the malefic ire of his master."

Nagash even tells Mannfred in another story that the only reason why he can scheme is because he allows him to do so. LON tells us that Nagash does not choose the Mortarch's for their loyalty, LON explicitly tells us he has no need for it. The undying king novel even goes into how he can control the mortarch's movements without them even realising it. Only the bald vampire had an inkling that he was being manipulated/controlled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Nagash speaking/mind-speaking IN ALL CAPS. It's like Pratchett's Death, it should feel cheap and annoying after a while but with (in Nagash's case) the right amount of gravitas and insane arrogance it works. When bookended by stuff like Mannfred relating how the voice cuts through you and annihilates everything else but Nagash's presence and will. No subtlety, just domination.

One of the my minor bugbears is that more 40k authors don't do this kind of textual trick (all caps, italics, crosses, whatever) when depicting dreadnought vox-speak. Or techpriests. Or daemons. Innovative things that get across that this isn't normal speech.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shinros said:

Nagash even tells Mannfred in another story that the only reason why he can scheme is because he allows him to do so. LON tells us that Nagash does not choose the Mortarch's for their loyalty, LON explicitly tells us he has no need for it. The undying king novel even goes into how he can control the mortarch's movements without them even realising it. Only the bald vampire had an inkling that he was being manipulated/controlled. 

This. When you're an immortal necromantic pseudo-deity there's definite uses to having a scheming underling who you know is going to try and betray you. It makes him reliable, a reliable wretch. Insofar as Nagash can still feel amusement, I suspect Mannfred is a near-constant source of it.

Also I quite agree that Mannfred not giving up and never, ever truly learning from his mistakes is what makes him fun. 'Vampiric Starscream', as he's been referred to.☺️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×