Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my favorite story,  but two important insights here:

- Aelves being seen as unnaturally alive. I wonder if this whole idea of aelves living a life they should not, living at the expense of others, etc., will extend (1) beyond GA Death factions articulating that one thought and (2) if it will bear on the psychology of the less evil aelves (Lightkin, maybe Deepkin). Will they live in remorse? 

-Do aelves need to sustain their lifes through consumption of other’s souls? This is implied for the Melusai and Khinerai in this short story. The small hint on Deepkin in Legions of Nagash suggest the same for them (that they prey on souls). I don’t think that Malekith would also have any problem with such a creation, so maybe the Shadowkin follow the same trend. Quite a grimmdark take on elves if true! Maybe this is why Teclis was disappointed on the Idoneth and the more successful later creations are the only self-supporting new aelves.

9 minutes ago, Turgol said:

Not my favorite story,  but two important insights here:

- Aelves being seen as unnaturally alive. I wonder if this whole idea of aelves living a life they should not, living at the expense of others, etc., will extend (1) beyond GA Death factions articulating that one thought and (2) if it will bear on the psychology of the less evil aelves (Lightkin, maybe Deepkin). Will they live in remorse? 

-Do aelves need to sustain their lifes through consumption of other’s souls? This is implied for the Melusai and Khinerai in this short story. The small hint on Deepkin in Legions of Nagash suggest the same for them (that they prey on souls). I don’t think that Malekith would also have any problem with such a creation, so maybe the Shadowkin follow the same trend. Quite a grimmdark take on elves if true! Maybe this is why Teclis was disappointed on the Idoneth and the more successful later creations are the only self-supporting new aelves.

That looks to be the case since we do have to remember these aelves are "Unnautral" they have been marred by being in slaanesh's gut so I suspect each of them should have some sort of problem. It would not surprise me that tyrion's lot are extremely prideful. Since in LON it notes that Nagash can sense souls vanishing completely by a unknown perpetrator as you said. 

If it's true that the mistweaver is part of the faction she might of went to the sliver tower to possibly find a way to fix the soul problem. 

Is this necessarily an Aelf-wide thing, or is it rather part of the extra spells that Morathi used to get more than her share of souls?

Also, who is the narrator? The Knight of Shrouds? They seemed mortal to me, and they have feet, so presumably not. A random necromancer? Seems too important.

Not necessarily an aelf-wide thing, but there are hints that the Deepkin are affected by the same problem (see LoN). The rest is my speculation: that the problem with the Idoneth was precisely this, that the better results of further development by Teclis were precisely to avoid this issue (so Lightkin or whatever will not have this “evil” trait), and that Malekith does not care about those “problems”, so the Shadowkin will also be soul-predators.

I personally read it as that was just part of the ritual to create them.  Not that they have to do it to keep sustaining them, since they said that site was basically dormant for 100's of years it seems unlikely its a continual thing to me.

Edit:  "Over long centuries the flesh of those sacrificed rotted away, and their bones were slowly buried beneath the gloom-blown dirt. The last lingering spiritual motes that remained were adrift in an endless and unchanging sea of malice. There they waited for an eternity – sightless, formless, without will or thought."

1 hour ago, Drofnum said:

I personally read it as that was just part of the ritual to create them.  Not that they have to do it to keep sustaining them, since they said that site was basically dormant for 100's of years it seems unlikely its a continual thing to me.

Edit:  "Over long centuries the flesh of those sacrificed rotted away, and their bones were slowly buried beneath the gloom-blown dirt. The last lingering spiritual motes that remained were adrift in an endless and unchanging sea of malice. There they waited for an eternity – sightless, formless, without will or thought."

Yes reading it again you are correct

One by one she plunged her knife through their hearts, releasing their blood. Through their agony and panic they saw the Shadow Queen standing over them, whispering that by their lives she would bring her children into the realms. As she completed each sacrifice she withdrew her blade, and her victims were left to drift into oblivion. But they did not fade completely. Few ever do. She had taken much of their souls for her own rituals, but remnants of hatred still echoed within their bodies.

Morathi is using people and parts of their souls via the blood sacrifices to make more of the Melusai and the khinerai. Since their spirits did not fully drift from their bodies they clung to their skeletons. Then a follower of nagash raised them from death to take vengeance and in return send the Melusai and Khinerai back to where they are meant to go hence the purple wisp that left the Khinerai's bodies as they were torn part. Even so that possibly means that the deepkin are likely using people somehow to make more of them since LON is alluding to people are being kidnapped, souls outright just vanishing. 

It would not surprise me that Teclis would view this as a failure since a race should be self-sustaining not parasites. 

23 minutes ago, shinros said:

Yes reading it again you are correct

One by one she plunged her knife through their hearts, releasing their blood. Through their agony and panic they saw the Shadow Queen standing over them, whispering that by their lives she would bring her children into the realms. As she completed each sacrifice she withdrew her blade, and her victims were left to drift into oblivion. But they did not fade completely. Few ever do. She had taken much of their souls for her own rituals, but remnants of hatred still echoed within their bodies.

Morathi is using people and parts of their souls via the blood sacrifices to make more of the Melusai and the khinerai. Since their spirits did not fully drift from their bodies they clung to their skeletons. Then a follower of nagash raised them from death to take vengeance an in return send the Melusai and Khinerai back to where they are meant to go hence the purple wisp that left the Khinerai's bodies as they were torn part. Even so that possibly means that the deepkin are likely using people somehow to make more of them since LON is alluding to people are being kidnapped, souls outright just vanishing. 

It would not surprise me that Teclis would view this as a failure since a race should be self-sustaining not parasites. 

Good point. I was wondering too who was the fourth faction stealing souls from Nagash (in the LON fluff, after Sigmar, the Chaos Gods, and the 3 aelven gods + Morathi). The fluff mention "whole merchant fleet disappearing" so that probably the Idoneth Deepkin - having the same need of souls for the reason you mentioned. (in the DoK fluff they are also seen trying to capture people, so the description fits).

It's great, my initial bet was this fourth "souls stealer" faction was Skaven / Eshin related. 

Now if only we could get some Idoneth news this week end at the Open day !!!

20 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

It’s litteraly an open day for AoS so I would expect to see stuff for them. Also GW might also let us know if this is the last big release for AoS or if the rumorsmif amthird faction coming are true. 

Well on the thread about it, people were saying that NO PREVIEW SEMINAR was scheduled at all :o

But with this whole Malign Portents business, GW cannot NOT surf on the hype wave (sea, I mean see what I did here ? :P )

What makes me confident we'll get something anyway is the Gloub Gloub trailer...

As far as I know, there are no preview seminars in open days. However during  the 40k open day the Adeptus Custodds and LoN and TS codex were exhibited. So an exhibition of incoming stuff is something I would expect. Not sure if something as big as Deepkin though.

43 minutes ago, jascarr4 said:

I'm hoping for big news at Adepticon.  Got my tix for the opening night seminar.

22 to 25 March ? Hm.

Either GW does a big Deepkin reveal at the AOS open day and keep Adepticon for 40k (new campaign, next plastic primarch, etc.), or we'll get just another teaser this week end and they'll keep the big thing for the convention seminar.

In both cases : BRING IT ON

I think we'll see one of the things FW has been working (board game), Idoneth Deepkin (if its not revealed this weekend), and I think we'll see the IK stuff with its 4 new knights. Juneish is rumored to be the big announcement month so most people think sob but honestly thats a joke. We'll probably see a primarch. Then rumors of slaanesh/chaos primarch with legion and maybe orks in the later half of the year. 

Whew unless you really really love power armor 2018 is shaping up to be pretty boring as far as 40k is concerned. Actually 2019 is said to start with khone and yet another primarch. Are you sensing a pattern yet? Play power armor of some flavor or demons/chaos because boy oh boy that's all you got to look forward to. 

Age of Sigmar has lots of small releases, DoK, Deepkin, and a rumored 3rd army drop, and will likely see cross pollination with slaanesh release. Way more interesting to me. The variety is really great for AoS. Poor 40k though lol. 

10 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

boring as far as 40k is concerned

Really?! 40k sees the release of nearly all codices, Necrons, Tau and Knights get new models, We probably see a "new" non-power armour faction flushed out (sisters might be an exception, but I won't believe in an release unless they show it into my cold, dead hands....) and, yes again some Canny Boys - but at least its a cult legion, something every chaos player has been wishing for since aeons.

No they don't. Tau aren't getting anything. The Tau people seem to mostly agree that the rumors have been mistaken for the upcoming rumored knights. So far the only necron model is a cryptek remake with a few extra wargear bits and it might be exclusive to a board game. That's the only single xenos model in the entire year of mostly power armor. Tau dex drops in two weeks and not a single rumor of a new suit. Lots of the chatter out there about upcoming Tau models has been traced to the source and is fake. The GW rumor engines are for the knights and a non-gw leaker has posted lots of ik details. The only solid non-gw leaker mentioned only the codex and seemed to have a mixed reception to it.  None of the xenos dexes have made any impact on the Imp/Chaos/Space Marine meta except for all things the orks who are doing well even with an index. All the xenos codices have been very weak and tame.  Not only that but a pic is circulating from the white dwarf of a possible new suit but it was identified as the worst drawn broadside put to art and the art has markerlights shooting plasma blasts. yes laser sights shooting plasma! It would be like seeing a chainsword shooting melta fire in space marine art weird. The ghostkeel was missing its top shoulder guns. I dare say its the worst piece of Tau art seen in ages and most certainly not worth the money to commission it. 

Unless your a power armor player or IK there is 0 reason to get hyped. I'm anti-hyped for Tau and expecting a disaster its so bad. 

Damn, my memory betrayed me on the tau on - I really thought, we were shown a new Ethereal at LVO.... But still I wouldn't yet count this year as another Year of power Armor - we are just 2 Month in - and some Eldar along the EmpChildren would make sense , both as counter balance as well as a way to expand Yennare and maybe exodites or harlequin. 

3 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

GW doesn’t do surprise releases anymore the whole picture is out there and it’s 75% power armor 20% chaos 4.99% non-marine imp releases and xenos with 0.01%

Hm, care to post a source?! To my knowledge, we just have official confirmation for 3 Xenodexes, A knight as well as DoK, with some teasing about something sea-related (without a date of arrival).

The best reliable source has predicted releases till mid-year, with hints of 40k Orcs around Christmas (were Fulgrim and his boys should be - a release based on edjucated guesses, based on the pattern of the last two years) and maybe Wolfs and another AoS army mid-summer as well as another Eldar-Codex bevor the end of the 2 Quater.  Not that non of those were confirmed (or denied for what its worth) by GW. Oh and a safe bet are a gang for Necro, and a team for BB each quater as well as Titanicus, which is probably due to hit in November (again an estimated guess).

All in all that doesn't screem "only can's are getting releases" to me. It's more a typical saying in the meme territory, similar to every rumour enging image beeing associated with a plastic thunderhawk and SoB.

PS.: And a safe bet would be to anticipate releases for smaller or never-before-seen factions. GW dislikes to update whole existing lines nowdays, as they see no market in them. rather we get completly new factions (Primaris, Custodes, KO) or expansions of certain themes (DoK, Nights, GSC, and to a certain amount the 4 Cult legions, as the lack models or are absolutly outdated. Looking at you 'zerkers, you put shame to my Khorne-loving heart)

So, who is getting involved in one of the many Coalescence: Malign Portents narrative campaign events taking place around the world on March 17th? And may I take this opportunity to shamelessly plug my local event in Cardiff, which you can find out more about here.

Archived