Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

That's why I like these stories , they are so open to interpretation!  It could be as you say that her final words are a prelude to the Sister's immediate death.  I have a different interpretation.  Gosma, in her ignorance ( she has only heard of Nagash from half-remembered children's stories ), with a simple yes has given her loyalty to Nagash.  Just like stories of people signing pacts with the Devil, once done there is nothing more to be done.  "Be still" can also mean be calm or be quiet, not only as in dead.  "Your end will come" is simply stating the obvious, but is in the future tense with no indication of when in the future.  Also, Sister is her nursing title, but is also a form of address in religious orders and among members of groups or ideologies, so there may be some double-meaning there.  To me, it makes no sense for Gosma to be recruited and then immediately killed.  She is an influential person and could therefore become a recruiter herself.   Nagash doesn't need to kill people when they will be his eventually anyway; making sure that they will be his is his concern.

I may be overthinking this, I know.  Eventually we'll get the answer and we could both be wrong!

The thing about this is, for Nagash the difference between someone being alive and worshipping him and dead and worshipping him is largely negligeable, though I'd assume he'd want people in more important positions dead so he had more control he could exercise. Killing Gozma and then immediately raising her, or performing some other necromantic right such as Vampirism would give him control over her much more effectively and quickly in this situation and would prevent her from reneging on the deal. As a side note, there's no real evidence that she's influential, just competent and experienced.

As for 'be still sister' that sentence seems a lot like when you go to the dentist and he say 'now stay still and this won't hurt a bit.' She seems like she's talking about something she's immediately going to do.

2 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Looks like it's up to destruction to stop these evil stormcast and deathcults. 

The mere mortals won't thank us though, they never do.  

Stopping zealous mortals, the corruption of chaos and becoming undead slaves.  All in a day's work for destruction.

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

With the seeming recruitment of mortal followers to Nagash,  I'm hoping that they will release a mortal death cult battletome.  I'm sure plenty would flock to his banner. After all, Sigmar's answer to Nurgle's plague is to kill any who are infected, whilst Nagash's answer seems to be to kill the plague.  I know which cure I would choose!  Furthermore,  Sigmar offers no afterlife for a lifetime of service; at best immortality (Stormcast) in which you slowly lose your identity and become what?.  On the other hand, every mortal human knows that they will die at some point and they've got a pretty good idea of their destination - you may end up with a better afterlife if you're already in his good books. Unless another Death God arises with a viable alternative of course!

They could even, alongside new models, include existing Freeguild models in the same way that Astra Militarum can be used with Genestealer cults.

I would very much like this prospect. Imagine the conversion possiblities. 

This could also be a way to reuse Bretonnia's models (I'm guessing GW would not go through much expense to repack some of the Bretonnia line as a "Cults of Death" army, along with two or three new units and with a chance to use them along purely "dead" units.

++

About Sigmar's afterlife, I think it's not a matter of who to worship. I mean, he is basically Odin+Thor, he offers Valhalla, but already in Ragnarok. Odin, after all, was recruiting great warriors in his Valhalla to fight the enemies of the Aesir in the Final Battle. At least, that's one interpretation.

But Odin was not the master of the other world, he did not rule over the spirits of the dead, and Nagash' afterlifes seem to be generally very ancient-feeling (in the sense of the souls wander about all sad and sorrowful), and there seems to be no "good afterlife". Which is good, since it gives more reason for mortals to be attracted to Chaos (even if Chaos in the Mortal Realms is less about subverting real people and imagining "what if free thinking was actually dangerous" and more about an external deadly threat, like the Tyranids).

++

By the way, what's the deal with vampires in the Mortal Realms? Are they, as it was in the first installments of WHFB, undead bodies possessed by evil spirits and kept young by the consumption of blood; are they accursed mortals who become vampires by being bitten; or are they mortals who are granted great boons of undeath but which become thralls of Nagash in the process, much like daemon princes are to Chaos Gods?

What I've read recently is that the Realm of Death offered an afterlife to all souls based on what they believed.  So if you believed in Valhalla that's what you'd get, for all the races too (Orruks with everlasting fights etc) - if you'd been cruel in life and thought you'd go to some version of Hell that's where you'd end up too.

However then Nagash arrived and twisted the Realm of Death to his own liking, so he ultimately controlled where souls went.  In essence he broke the natural rule of the Realm.

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

What I've read recently is that the Realm of Death offered an afterlife to all souls based on what they believed.  So if you believed in Valhalla that's what you'd get, for all the races too (Orruks with everlasting fights etc) - if you'd been cruel in life and thought you'd go to some version of Hell that's where you'd end up too.

However then Nagash arrived and twisted the Realm of Death to his own liking, so he ultimately controlled where souls went.  In essence he broke the natural rule of the Realm.

Yeah, if I remember right, in the map of Shyish there's a few good sounding places, like Hallost, which was a land of festivity and great celebration.

I thought it was going a bit 40k tbh - replace god-king with emperor and sign of the comet with sign of the aquila and post human/demi-god seperation from humanity.

All just seemed a bit too familiar.

That said, I don't think the Knight's Excelsior came off quite as badly as some posters make out and it adds context to the Death at the Door story. They're not (IMHO) coming off as "kill the heretic LOLZ!!!" rather this is a bad situation and we're going to do what needs doing even though it's grim. Hence the no glory/swift death bit. 

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

That said, I don't think the Knight's Ecelsior came off quite as badly as some posters make out and it adds context to the Death at the Door story. They're not (IMHO) coming off as "kill the heretic LOLZ!!!" rather this is a bad situation and we're going to do what needs doing even though it's grim. Hence the no glory/swift death bit. 

I'm sure the Hallowed Knights would have provided the sick villagers with hot soup and blankets. Knights Excelsior are dicks. ;) 

There are certain similarities between SC and Space Marines.  I think it was Phil Kelly who was saying that the big difference is that Marines are bred for war and that's it, Stormcast were created with the ability to govern and rule and empathise (though that's a little questionable for certain chambers)

I think whatever the Stormcast do, they're going to be seen as the bad guys - it's relative, they've been the brightest bulb in the box for a long time that even a slight dimming will be noticed and have a greater impact.  Ultimately it's all Nurgle's fault, but we're unlikely to see that ;)

6 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I'm sure the Hallowed Knights would have provided the sick villagers with hot soup and blankets. Knights Excelsior are dicks. ;) 

Excuse me good sir, they are cleansing the foul Nurgle taint. 

They are certainly becoming my favourite Stormhost. 

Fantasy Black Templars ?

12 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Looks like it's up to destruction to stop these evil stormcast and deathcults. 

The mere mortals won't thank us though, they never do.  

I always loved how Grimgor came in to save the day with the first Storm of Chaos. How epic would it be if he did it again :P 
Some dislike this humor of Grimgor kicking Archaon in the groin to save the day but I honestly think it's good that even AoS fans shouldn't thake it all too seriously.

One of the best things GW has applied with Nurgle and Orks since day one is to add some humor to this game. I personally think Khorne has his own sence of 'skull easter hunt' humor and 'angry bunny helmets' too but not all see it that way :P 

9 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Most of the humour of Khorne (amongst others), for me at least, comes from just how patently absurd his dudes and his whole thing is. 

Absurd but also a reflection of what the game allows us to do. For me I find comfort in Khorne being more powerful with quick kills made in war. It's one thing we can emulate very well with this game.

But in general I think MP develops AoS in a really good way. It does blend in another touch of WFB for better and worse but it's good to do this. As before I believe that in 2020 AoS will see it's second edition which ideally gives more shapes to AoS and presents another new depth of tactical choices whilst presenting a very easy game to learn.

Before this all occurs I think it's great to see Nagash as a main bad guy. Which likely will be defeated by Aelves which will likely lead to Slaanesh being freed because of the Aelven forces required to stop this menace. This then leads to new releases and more fun. 

Grimgor was the star of Stormof Chaos, he also had the best lime of the End Times, but enough of that. 

I’m rather interested by the way Hyphor’s repeated reforgings have killed his empathy for the humans and made him absolute and almost like he’s making his decision via a program or formula (and it seems his fellows do also).  Given it’s been hundreds of years since the Realmgate Wars is this going to be more and more the journey Stormcast in general are going to take? 

There’s a story in Call of Chaos where a Stromcast becomes similary robotic after many reforgings. 

Archived