Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I picked up a nice snippet this weekend regarding the knight of shrouds.  Treat with salt but if it's true I love it.

Apparently these are the souls of stormcast that refused / counld not / would not be reforged.  Souls denied to nagash as was his due first time around.

Now, he has turned then into the knights of shrouds, commanding his minions but has utter hatred for them none the less.

like I say, I hope its true.  So armies of nagash or whatever it's called is the replacement for Grand alliance death book, and that will go off the shelves when this rolls in, but there's going to be more.... much more :)

I think I recall that Josh reynolds mentioned in one of his stories we are going to see what happens to someone who refuses to become a stormcast. Perhaps this plays into this?

4 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I picked up a nice snippet this weekend regarding the knight of shrouds.  Treat with salt but if it's true I love it.

Apparently these are the souls of stormcast that refused / counld not / would not be reforged.  Souls denied to nagash as was his due first time around.

Now, he has turned then into the knights of shrouds, commanding his minions but has utter hatred for them none the less.

like I say, I hope its true.  So armies of nagash or whatever it's called is the replacement for Grand alliance death book, and that will go off the shelves when this rolls in, but there's going to be more.... much more :)

I think they were said to just be anti stromcast in essence. Stormcast were humans chosen by Sigmar for heroic deeds against chaos, or unrelenting faith in him, etc. 

In the video diary, they talk about how the shrouds are cowards who betrayed their comrades in the final moments pledging themselves to nagash, but they also do seem like souls who were considered by sigmar but ultimately chose not to be given the second chance to fight against chaos, and instead wished to lead their own legions blessed by nagash.

I'm still under the belief that stormcast can not be corrupted in any way, be it through death or chaos, but we will finally see if its possible once we find out what happened to Tarsus, who i'm pretty sure is going to be a new mortarch?

3 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

I think they were said to just be anti stromcast in essence. Stormcast were humans chosen by Sigmar for heroic deeds against chaos, or unrelenting faith in him, etc. 

In the video diary, they talk about how the shrouds are cowards who betrayed their comrades in the final moments pledging themselves to nagash, but they also do seem like souls who were considered by sigmar but ultimately chose not to be given the second chance to fight against chaos, and instead wished to lead their own legions blessed by nagash.

I'm still under the belief that stormcast can not be corrupted in any way, be it through death or chaos, but we will finally see if its possible once we find out what happened to Tarsus, who i'm pretty sure is going to be a new mortarch?

This is largely what I've picked up too.  Knight of Shrouds are viewed by some as cowards, but I'd say that was more a PR job by Sigmar "look that soul was afraid to become a Stormcast" rather than what might have happened ("up yours Sigmar, I've got a better job offer over here").

I hoping what we're going to see is that Nagash is able to reassemble a Stormcast's soul by stealing a little bit each time they're reforged.  They're not corrupted in the sense we would consider one of the Chaos Gods would do, but once they've gone over, Nagash he'll have ultimate dominance over them, leaving Sigmar with basically an empty vessel.  Maybe this will make the Stormcast fight all the harder to remove anything that might kill them, maybe it'll make some more reluctant to get involved - who knows!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

This is largely what I've picked up too.  Knight of Shrouds are viewed by some as cowards, but I'd say that was more a PR job by Sigmar "look that soul was afraid to become a Stormcast" rather than what might have happened ("up yours Sigmar, I've got a better job offer over here").

I hoping what we're going to see is that Nagash is able to reassemble a Stormcast's soul by stealing a little bit each time they're reforged.  They're not corrupted in the sense we would consider one of the Chaos Gods would do, but once they've gone over, Nagash he'll have ultimate dominance over them, leaving Sigmar with basically an empty vessel.  Maybe this will make the Stormcast fight all the harder to remove anything that might kill them, maybe it'll make some more reluctant to get involved - who knows!

this would be a go a long way to explain why a stormcast loses a part of his old self with every reforging.  Maybe Sigmar has no choice in the matter.

I wonder then, if this is why Nagash hates them so much, because he cannot have the soul as a whole but instead it leaks out bit by bit with every reforging.

The impression I got was that perhaps the stormcast was not so much up yours sigmar, but maybe I can't do this anymore - i'm starting to forget who I am.

whichever way, I'm looking forward to reading the fluff on these.

I bought two sepulchral guard boxes this weekend, I was going to buy a skeleton start collecting but I'll wait for the malign portents story line to land fully.  He's good like that our store manager, it was really a case of "buy it if you want, but I'd hold out till feb if I were you".

Oh and the words undead dragon was mentioned, so I'm guessing that might be based off the zombie dragon kit with maybe a new or reworded warscroll?

Oh and wish list me is looking forward to sandy undead who are definitely not tomb kings, oh no, not in the slightest in any way coming back in some form as the kits are too nice to pass by.

22 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I'm really looking forward to hear more about Tarsus. Alas it seems his story will not part of Malign portents per se, but "parallel" (according to P.K. on Twitch : https://aosshorts.com/malign-portents/)

I'm not seeing Tarsus being turned and Mortarchified, though... That'd be tragic !

I'm really looking forward to hearing ANYTHING that might actually carry over to the tabletop. Seriously, anything. We're almost 2 months into this now and the harbingers are literally the only thing we have concrete information on.

If the LVO doesn't at least hint at what's coming next, I may just have a coronary.

5 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I bought two sepulchral guard boxes this weekend, I was going to buy a skeleton start collecting but I'll wait for the malign portents story line to land fully.  He's good like that our store manager, it was really a case of "buy it if you want, but I'd hold out till feb if I were you".

Oh and the words undead dragon was mentioned, so I'm guessing that might be based off the zombie dragon kit with maybe a new or reworded warscroll?

Oh and wish list me is looking forward to sandy undead who are definitely not tomb kings, oh no, not in the slightest in any way coming back in some form as the kits are too nice to pass by.

Already really looking forward to the new Death bits - am now even more stoked!  Want that new Battletome!

34 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I'm really looking forward to hear more about Tarsus. Alas it seems his story will not part of Malign portents per se, but "parallel" (according to P.K. on Twitch : https://aosshorts.com/malign-portents/)

I'm not seeing Tarsus being turned and Mortarchified, though... That'd be tragic !

just read this   very cool.

I'm just hoping I can have a medieval dead style skeleton army rocking again  :)

oh and the word sand.... I'll deludedly convince myself that's tombkings all over... I'll keep drinking the cool aid.

14 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

In the "The Coward" Video the narrator explicitly calls the Knight of Shrouds "a Soul that Sigmar tried, and failed, to take into the celestial host", though that might relate only to that particular individual. However, all other material on the Knights of Shrouds focus on them having been traitors in life. We will see how all that fits together down the line, I guess.

3 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

this would be a go a long way to explain why a stormcast loses a part of his old self with every reforging.  Maybe Sigmar has no choice in the matter.

This has been explained with Nagash stealing a small bit of the Stormcasts Soul with each reforging from the very start. The only uncertainty is whether big N is doing it purely as a matter of principle, as it has been stated multiple times Nagash considers each soul of the departed his alone, orwether he also uses what he steals to some particular end.

3 hours ago, Burf said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing ANYTHING that might actually carry over to the tabletop. Seriously, anything. We're almost 2 months into this now and the harbingers are literally the only thing we have concrete information on.

If the LVO doesn't at least hint at what's coming next, I may just have a coronary.

Yeah, we have been grasping at straws for some time now, but there is still absolutely no solid indication of what might come with MP, especially on the front of Death. Considering how much GW is drawing everything related to MP out and that the only useful teasers (particularly rumor mill) and rumors point to aelves, I think any furth news for Death are still many months away. Hopefully we will at least get to the MP book in (early?) february. And if we are extra lucky, it is not priced like the Realmgate books where.

12 hours ago, Red said:

Aren't tomb kings coming out on the 23rd?

Hide contents

I’m such a sad dweeb that I’ve watched this about thirty times over the last few weeks. I just wish our Age of Sigmar presence was equal to our soon to be gaming presence. 

What might have been for the Tomg Kings.......

Still, although the Knight of Shrouds doesn’t know it yet, he’ll be getting a desert base and a good going over with sand weathering power when I get hold of him.

1 hour ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Yeah, we have been grasping at straws for some time now, but there is still absolutely no solid indication of what might come with MP, especially on the front of Death. Considering how much GW is drawing everything related to MP out and that the only useful teasers (particularly rumor mill) and rumors point to aelves, I think any furth news for Death are still many months away. Hopefully we will at least get to the MP book in (early?) february. And if we are extra lucky, it is not priced like the Realmgate books where.

I don't think we're going to have to wait too long for Legions of Nagash as Death are the main protagonists in the whole Malign Portents campaign and it's going to be pretty rubbish if they don't get something to help them compete at the same level as everything else.  Piecing together the bits, I think it's safe to say that we're the Harbingers will be on the shelf by the 10th February (otherwise you couldn't paint them for the painting challenge).  The date on the website for the next "big" thing is the 17th, by which the general assumption is that it's the pre-order for the MP book (but might not be)

My gut feeling is LoN will be up for pre-order on the 3rd - my theory being that this way we don't get too many White Dwarf leaks before the actual 'tome hits as I'm sure it'll feature in the magazine.  May we be entirely wrong and wishlisting though :D

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I don't think we're going to have to wait too long for Legions of Nagash as Death are the main protagonists in the whole Malign Portents campaign and it's going to be pretty rubbish if they don't get something to help them compete at the same level as everything else.  Piecing together the bits, I think it's safe to say that we're the Harbingers will be on the shelf by the 10th February (otherwise you couldn't paint them for the painting challenge).  The date on the website for the next "big" thing is the 17th, by which the general assumption is that it's the pre-order for the MP book (but might not be)

My gut feeling is LoN will be up for pre-order on the 3rd - my theory being that this way we don't get too many White Dwarf leaks before the actual 'tome hits as I'm sure it'll feature in the magazine.  May we be entirely wrong and wishlisting though :D

Yes, I would expect Legions in February. But I expect more of a "The story so far" for Death from the battletome.

About the question of how Death is going to develop further out, where the visual style is going, what new factions might come, what old factions might see future updates beyond rules and what is really going on with Malign Portents, I think LoN and even the MP book will leave us as smart as we where before, bar some hints and references that might go one way or another. The truly big new developements, I think, we will only seen in the late phase of MP, which is looking to be quite far out.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but at the very least MP and LoN, the two books propably out in February, will give us plenty to read and speculate on.

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Legions of nagash is going to relace grand alliance death.  It’ll have all the updated warscrolls in it.  GA death will be withdrawn from the shelves as it rolls in.  Then the goodies roll in from there. :)

Almost, but not quite. LON only has the death units that serve Nagash. Granted that most current Death models serve him, but the Flesheater Courts shouldn't be in the book since they are not servants - they're just mindless ghouls that follow whatever crazy vampire ghoul king is nearby. It also alludes to a new death faction that does not serve Nagash, similar to the Tomb Kings from WHFB.

You could be right, but it would be weird if the FEC were in there.

I always assumed that the GA books would eventually go away, similar to the 40k Indexes. It's just taking them a lot longer than with 40k...

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Almost, but not quite. LON only has the death units that serve Nagash. Granted that most current Death models serve him, but the Flesheater Courts shouldn't be in the book since they are not servants - they're just mindless ghouls that follow whatever crazy vampire ghoul king is nearby. It also alludes to a new death faction that does not serve Nagash, similar to the Tomb Kings from WHFB.

I always assumed that the GA books would eventually go away, similar to the 40k Indexes. It's just taking them a lot longer than with 40k...

In the fluff discussions they had on warhammer tv they talked about FEC and Nagash having a complicated relationship but that there WERE FeC that did serve under him(or something to that effect).

Even if FEC get left out, no reason they can't have generic 'Ghoul, Horror, Flayer/Vargeist, Terrorgeist' warscrolls available.

With the seeming recruitment of mortal followers to Nagash,  I'm hoping that they will release a mortal death cult battletome.  I'm sure plenty would flock to his banner. After all, Sigmar's answer to Nurgle's plague is to kill any who are infected, whilst Nagash's answer seems to be to kill the plague.  I know which cure I would choose!  Furthermore,  Sigmar offers no afterlife for a lifetime of service; at best immortality (Stormcast) in which you slowly lose your identity and become what?.  On the other hand, every mortal human knows that they will die at some point and they've got a pretty good idea of their destination - you may end up with a better afterlife if you're already in his good books. Unless another Death God arises with a viable alternative of course!

They could even, alongside new models, include existing Freeguild models in the same way that Astra Militarum can be used with Genestealer cults.

One can but dream.

4 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

With the seeming recruitment of mortal followers to Nagash,  I'm hoping that they will release a mortal death cult battletome.  I'm sure plenty would flock to his banner. After all, Sigmar's answer to Nurgle's plague is to kill any who are infected, whilst Nagash's answer seems to be to kill the plague.  I know which cure I would choose!  Furthermore,  Sigmar offers no afterlife for a lifetime of service; at best immortality (Stormcast) in which you slowly lose your identity and become what?.  On the other hand, every mortal human knows that they will die at some point and they've got a pretty good idea of their destination - you may end up with a better afterlife if you're already in his good books. Unless another Death God arises with a viable alternative of course!

They could even, alongside new models, include existing Freeguild models in the same way that Astra Militarum can be used with Genestealer cults.

One can but dream.

Nagash ALSO kills you to cleanse Nurgles Rot, it's just less...hammer-y.

Just now, BURF1 said:

Nagash ALSO kills you to cleanse Nurgles Rot, it's just less...hammer-y.

Well, in the story the pale woman was killing those too badly affected to save, that's true and at the same time removing the taint so that they did not end up as perpetual victims of Papa Nurgle and their souls could move on - to Nagash obviously.  But she was not interfering with the Sister's work  of curing those less affected , at which she appeared to be having some success.  Also, there is no indication that the Sister was killed, rather that she was cured.  The soldier did die, but then he got an exploding pustule to the face, so that's hardly surprising.  I think that those who turn to Nagash and worship him gain some resistance to the plagues ( hence the cold chill that ran through the Sister after she pledged her allegiance ).  What is being offered by the sorceress/necromancer is spiritual salvation, so when death does come you cannot be be taken by anyone else, such as Sigmar or the Chaos Gods or whoever else might try.  You have been marked and will enter Nagash's Kingdom.  On the surface, it doesn't seem that bad a deal, does it? 

59 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Well, in the story the pale woman was killing those too badly affected to save, that's true and at the same time removing the taint so that they did not end up as perpetual victims of Papa Nurgle and their souls could move on - to Nagash obviously.  But she was not interfering with the Sister's work  of curing those less affected , at which she appeared to be having some success.  Also, there is no indication that the Sister was killed, rather that she was cured.  The soldier did die, but then he got an exploding pustule to the face, so that's hardly surprising.  I think that those who turn to Nagash and worship him gain some resistance to the plagues ( hence the cold chill that ran through the Sister after she pledged her allegiance ).  What is being offered by the sorceress/necromancer is spiritual salvation, so when death does come you cannot be be taken by anyone else, such as Sigmar or the Chaos Gods or whoever else might try.  You have been marked and will enter Nagash's Kingdom.  On the surface, it doesn't seem that bad a deal, does it? 

There was plenty of indication that Sister was killed or at least 'changed' That bit at the end is actually much more likely to be her being killed and raised or otherwise modified by the death lady than it is to be any type of 'curing' by all accounts the sister wasn't infected at the time she took death lady's hand( despite getting gooed on) simply because she was moving around by her own power and wasn't showing symptoms anymore once the maggots and goop got magicked away.

There's also no indication that worshipers of Nagash gain any inherent benefit of their worship. The cold chill was some form of Necromantic magic meant to alter the Sister in some way. There's no way it was just 'HANDSHAKE OF NAGASH FRIENDSHIP' and the Sister was like 'Cool, I'm resistant to plagues now, also your hands are clammy', the Death lady was DOING something to her.

Also, and I don't get how people miss this, but the last line of the story is literally 'Ha, you dead lol.' (it's actually '‘There is nothing you need do,’ said the pale woman, her lips curving into a thin smile. ‘Be still, sister, and your end will come.’' but that's a death sentence if I ever heard one.)

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Actually, Battletome:FEC makes a point that quite a few Ghoulkings do worship and follow Nagash (though in their delusion they propably see him in as shiny a light as they see themselves). Even if that was not so, GA:Death is among the six allegiances included in LoN and FEC are most certainly part of that. I am quite confident that we can take GW at their word when they write all Death warscrolls so far are in LoN.

51 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

There was plenty of indication that Sister was killed or at least 'changed' That bit at the end is actually much more likely to be her being killed and raised or otherwise modified by the death lady than it is to be any type of 'curing' by all accounts the sister wasn't infected at the time she took death lady's hand( despite getting gooed on) simply because she was moving around by her own power and wasn't showing symptoms anymore once the maggots and goop got magicked away.

There's also no indication that worshipers of Nagash gain any inherent benefit of their worship. The cold chill was some form of Necromantic magic meant to alter the Sister in some way. There's no way it was just 'HANDSHAKE OF NAGASH FRIENDSHIP' and the Sister was like 'Cool, I'm resistant to plagues now, also your hands are clammy', the Death lady was DOING something to her.

Also, and I don't get how people miss this, but the last line of the story is literally 'Ha, you dead lol.' (it's actually '‘There is nothing you need do,’ said the pale woman, her lips curving into a thin smile. ‘Be still, sister, and your end will come.’' but that's a death sentence if I ever heard one.)

"Your end will come" sounds like a perfectly fine generic or ritual Nagashite blessing/greeting/farewell to me. It tells us of a believe in Death being something to be embraced, but it also has some nice ambiguity from "end", which can also mean a set goal or aspiration (as in "means to an end").

Besides, one does not formulate a death sentence to those who have already passed.

55 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

That's why I like these stories , they are so open to interpretation!  It could be as you say that her final words are a prelude to the Sister's immediate death.  I have a different interpretation.  Gosma, in her ignorance ( she has only heard of Nagash from half-remembered children's stories ), with a simple yes has given her loyalty to Nagash.  Just like stories of people signing pacts with the Devil, once done there is nothing more to be done.  "Be still" can also mean be calm or be quiet, not only as in dead.  "Your end will come" is simply stating the obvious, but is in the future tense with no indication of when in the future.  Also, Sister is her nursing title, but is also a form of address in religious orders and among members of groups or ideologies, so there may be some double-meaning there.  To me, it makes no sense for Gosma to be recruited and then immediately killed.  She is an influential person and could therefore become a recruiter herself.   Nagash doesn't need to kill people when they will be his eventually anyway; making sure that they will be his is his concern.

I may be overthinking this, I know.  Eventually we'll get the answer and we could both be wrong!

Archived