Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarbossKurgan said:

There is a summary of the Warhammer Live chat with Phil Kelly on Twitch here:

https://aosshorts.com/malign-portents/

My favourite part is learning that Mannfred is making new Sylvania, called "Carstinia".

I've read through this and I really really like the approach. Especially the whole undead and living working and fighting alongside each other. Or that it is normal in Shyish that the living and their ancestors live with each other and that ghosts are relatively normal here.  I would believe that in such a realm people don't see their "Death" as the last station of their existence but merely another phase like birth, adulthood etc.

So for most people it could be that it doesn't have to be that bad when they die. I think the last AoS short also proves this a little bit.

I really like the approach. Thumbs up!

1 hour ago, WarbossKurgan said:

My favourite part is learning that Mannfred is making new Sylvania, called "Carstinia".

Yeah phil kelly mentioned that on the stream what makes it kinda funny that the end times reveals that Manny cares more about sylvania than vlad. xD

9 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

Are we sure this Nagash follower is killing the sick? Maybe she is just recruiting. Cleansing them then because they are so grateful they turn to be a part of Nagash's followers?

she killed both dudes in the story, and dead vs alive isn't a huge distinction for Nagash really

10 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

she killed both dudes in the story, and dead vs alive isn't a huge distinction for Nagash really

No... it just says the screaming stops. 

Seeing how she was able to cure an outbreak of the maggots/boils/cysts using Death magic, it really doesn't mean she has to kill them.  Taking away the ailments and then showing those men that Nagash actually has the power to stop it (and actually bothers to do so), might be a recruitment tool too for the living. 

3 minutes ago, Elmir said:

No... it just says the screaming stops. 

Seeing how she was able to cure an outbreak of the maggots/boils/cysts using Death magic, it really doesn't mean she has to kill them.  Taking away the ailments and then showing those men that Nagash actually has the power to stop it (and actually bothers to do so), might be a recruitment tool too for the living. 

No, it says:  She looked over at the soldier. He too had been saved from the carnivorous worms. He lay dead on his cot, still and peaceful, the grimace of pain gone from his face.

And the other guy is DEFINITELY dead, since he straight up popped like a water balloon. Death lady didn't cure anything, all she did was kill the maggots and magically clean the goop off of Gozma.

The second dude didn't die by her hand though... She didn't kill him. 

PS I can lay dead somewhere without actually being  actually dead as well ;) It doesn't say that she actually killed him... That's kinda left up in the air. 

5 hours ago, WarbossKurgan said:

Thanks! That was a good read. Lots of good stuff there, including this nugget:

• All of the Mortarchs have their place in this – Nu-Lahmia, Carstinia (Mannfred making new Sylvania), Arkhan overseeing Nagash’s great works.  Legions of Nagash has lots of details on the Mortarchs.  The books focus on the existing Mortarchs with models, but models for other Mortarchs may be added later.

3 minutes ago, Yeled said:

Thanks! That was a good read. Lots of good stuff there, including this nugget:

• All of the Mortarchs have their place in this – Nu-Lahmia, Carstinia (Mannfred making new Sylvania), Arkhan overseeing Nagash’s great works.  Legions of Nagash has lots of details on the Mortarchs.  The books focus on the existing Mortarchs with models, but models for other Mortarchs may be added later.

I am still betting on Krell, they mention him in the grand alliance tome. 

3 minutes ago, Elmir said:

The second dude didn't die by her hand though... She didn't kill him. 

PS I can lay dead somewhere without actually being  actually dead as well ;) It doesn't say that she actually killed him... That's kinda left up in the air. 

That's really really really really reaching: Both guys are 100% dead. The guy that didn't pop was killed by the death lady BECAUSE THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. It shows that death is peaceful release from suffering. A way to escape the pain of chaos and disease. It contrasts that compared to Nurgle and the other horrors of the mortal realms, death isn't so bad.

And saying 'laying dead' can be metaphorical sometimes(it's extremely clunky but it can be) but at this point Gozma is literally saying 'that dude dead.' It wasn't metaphorical, he is dead. Death lady killed him, just like she killed all the other guys, because that's HOW you cure nurgle's rot. Kill the body and the disease has nowhere to take root.

1 minute ago, shinros said:

I am still betting on Krell, they mention him in the grand alliance tome. 

That could be interesting. I love the old model. 

I'm also somewhat intrigued by the idea of "good" armies of undead. I wonder if that is just fluff, meaning you can say your undead army is made up of good guys loyal to a city in Shyish or something like that, but using the exact same models, or if there will actually be non-Nagash factions or leaders who take your undead armies in an entirely different direction.

I know they are setting up Nagash as the big bad guy and that is fine, but the idea that forces of Death or even Nagash could be a viable alternative to Sigmar in terms of a god who protects...well, that could be a really nice addition to the game fluff. I hope that's an ongoing theme and not just something that makes its way into a couple stories and then disappears. I'm secretly rooting for Sigmar to take something of a heel turn and become an oppressive force for pure order, purging chaos at every turn with a zeal that makes him almost scary...with common folk turning to other protectors like gods of Death, life, or freedom in response. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Yeled said:

That could be interesting. I love the old model. 

I'm also somewhat intrigued by the idea of "good" armies of undead. I wonder if that is just fluff, meaning you can say your undead army is made up of good guys loyal to a city in Shyish or something like that, but using the exact same models, or if there will actually be non-Nagash factions or leaders who take your undead armies in an entirely different direction.

I know they are setting up Nagash as the big bad guy and that is fine, but the idea that forces of Death or even Nagash could be a viable alternative to Sigmar in terms of a god who protects...well, that could be a really nice addition to the game fluff. I hope that's an ongoing theme and not just something that makes its way into a couple stories and then disappears. I'm secretly rooting for Sigmar to take something of a heel turn and become an oppressive force for pure order, purging chaos at every turn with a zeal that makes him almost scary...with common folk turning to other protectors like gods of Death, life, or freedom in response. ;) 

Well I feel they are sort of doing that with the Malign portent stories. Just like at death of the door and grim deliverance, I imagine cities that worship Nagash are not having problems with the nurgle outbreak of disease. I always had the outlook that Nagash and Sigmar have both good and bad points. Also they make a point in spear of shadows that humans are now starting to worship other gods than sigmar, something which worries the church and grand theogonist. Hence why they want more control. 

3 minutes ago, shinros said:

Well I feel they are sort of doing that with the Malign portent stories. Just like at death of the door and grim deliverance, I imagine cities that worship Nagash are not having problems with the nurgle outbreak of disease. I always had the outlook that Nagash and Sigmar have both good and bad points. Also they make a point in spear of shadows that humans are now starting to worship other gods than sigmar, something which worries the church and grand theogonist. Hence why they want more control. 

Yeah, these are good developments. I hope they keep it up.

11 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Kill the body and the disease has nowhere to take root.

I think it goes further than that.  Nurgle's rot would turn a dead person into "new life", Death magic stops that happening.

All of the stories have been left deliberately vague on what's happening too, did the Death lady kill those people or did she release their souls/bodies to Nagash at their request?  Are they going to get back up at some point ;)

Sigmar is very much about "the greater good" rather than doing good things.  Ultimately, like the other gods his focus is applying his vision to the realms and expecting the people/races within them to comply.  I think the big difference is that Sigmar allows a certain amount of free choice and doesn't consider you an "enemy" if you have a different view (unless you follow one of the chaos gods, but then you're likely committing an atrocity or planning one).  The reign of Sigmar is ultimately self destructive, by allowing people free will he also weakens his control over them to the point the great cities will divide and split allowing another era such as we had in the Age of Chaos where one god (or a collection) will impose their rule.  Sigmar will once more retreat to Azyr to rebuild his strength and then repeat the process in an endless cycle.

What I'm currently loving the concept that Nagash is coming across as benevolent in the new Malign Portent - it's the 19th too so another story due today!

I really like the idea of Nagash being seen as a 'good guy' and 'saviour' by some people. It's nice not to have black & white good and evil and I think getting all this new fluff to show death as a faction is a thriving community like any other and not just insane lunatic necromancers & vampires killing everything is really nice. Ironically it makes them a bit more human. For someone who joined fantasy with AoS and doesn't really read the black library novels it Is super cool to finally be getting this lore about life in shyish.

Kinda makes me wanna get some stuff done on my soulblight or skellies. (Still gotta find a way to convert some drakespawn knights into piratey blood knights to fit with my dread fleet vampires & contrast with my more aristocratic dragon prince blood knight conversions. Wonder if I can make those drakes into shark lizards...)

I am quite looking forward to what more stuff malign portents brings. If nothing else it'll just be really cool to be able to better visualise how my death faction might run their cities and the like. I would also 100% love to see more portrayals of order/sigmar as brutal and terrifying, especially doing whatever it takes to stop the threat of chaos. Up till now (in artwork and battletomes at least) order and the stormcast seem to have been mostly portrayed as super good good heroes and frankly I just prefer heroes to also have flaws and not be actually as good as they might appear.

At least with Nagash you know what his end goals for you are likely to be ;)

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Sigmar is very much about "the greater good" rather than doing good things.  Ultimately, like the other gods his focus is applying his vision to the realms and expecting the people/races within them to comply.  I think the big difference is that Sigmar allows a certain amount of free choice and doesn't consider you an "enemy" if you have a different view (unless you follow one of the chaos gods, but then you're likely committing an atrocity or planning one).  The reign of Sigmar is ultimately self destructive, by allowing people free will he also weakens his control over them to the point the great cities will divide and split allowing another era such as we had in the Age of Chaos where one god (or a collection) will impose their rule.  Sigmar will once more retreat to Azyr to rebuild his strength and then repeat the process in an endless cycle.

What I'm currently loving the concept that Nagash is coming across as benevolent in the new Malign Portent - it's the 19th too so another story due today!

Review some of sigmars actions during his forging of his original empire - he definately does not tolerate contradictory views. For example he sacked a whole city because they would not back him -many were slaughtered because they held a different view. With sigmar it is his way, or no way. 

1 minute ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Review some of sigmars actions during his forging of his original empire - he definately does not tolerate contradictory views. For example he sacked a whole city because they would not back him -many were slaughtered because they held a different view. With sigmar it is his way, or no way. 

Sorry, I was referring to the AoS god version rather than his time as a mortal if that makes sense.  So far (as far as I'm aware) we've not seen Sigmar doing the "kill them, kill them all!" thing.  That's not to say that some of his Stormcast don't interpret his word as law but on the whole many are sympathetic/slightly tolerant towards the free people and races and their views.

Archived