Malign Portents

Will Myers

I'm expecting us to get some sort of preorder announcement this Saturday. As we have nothing for 40k or AoS on the horizon. Then again that would allign a release for LVO where we know they will be announcing somthing huge!.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Looking at the painting template. No maruarders (on foot) for the warqueen. New kit?

I'd not put money on that, most of the horde-esq units aren't on the list, including Bloodreavers (or Bloodreaders as I originally wrote, but they're something else entirely).

14 minutes ago, skool said:

I'm expecting us to get some sort of preorder announcement this Saturday. As we have nothing for 40k or AoS on the horizon. Then again that would allign a release for LVO where we know they will be announcing somthing huge!.

This weekend is the second lot of Maggotkin releases so we're unlikely to hear anything.  Week after is unknown (possibly heralds) and the week after GW are at LVO.  I think we could expect the Malign Portent book on pre-order then with Legion of Nagash landing the second week of February (in time for a White Dwarf feature).  You've also got a load of Necromunda stuff that I think will hit around the first weekend of February (when the Weekender is happening).

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Basically you can gather from that page that they're basically listing plastic kits.  And possibly even plastic kits that you can actually purchase in GW stores (not web exclusive).  Was even going to suggest that maybe it's only round based stuff as well, but potentially the Moonclan Grots and Spider Riders go against this.

The part with the roundbases could be a point. In case of Slaanesh they could have used the Hellstriders of Slaanesh instead of Marauder Horsemen. The Hellstriders have two problems

1. It would be another unit of Steeds of Slaanesh
  2. They should have squarebases

In case of the Moonclan Grots I know that they have roundbases. In case of the Spider Riders, I only know that the Alliance Box had Roundbases, don't know about the regular boxset.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

This weekend is the second lot of Maggotkin releases so we're unlikely to hear anything.  Week after is unknown (possibly heralds) and the week after GW are at LVO.  I think we could expect the Malign Portent book on pre-order then with Legion of Nagash landing the second week of February (in time for a White Dwarf feature).  You've also got a load of Necromunda stuff that I think will hit around the first weekend of February (when the Weekender is happening).

Has the painting contest a worldwide fix time. I only know that I got a eventflyer for the shop I use and the first Step of the painting Contest ends on February, 10 2018. If this is a fix date it could be the date for the haralds.

20 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Has the painting contest a worldwide fix time. I only know that I got a eventflyer for the shop I use and the first Step of the painting Contest ends on February, 10 2018. If this is a fix date it could be the date for the haralds.

I *think* it's the same time across the world, though guess we'd need one of our continental friends to confirm!  You're right though, it does mean the heralds need to be out on the 10th if not before - they might do it as a "bring your SC box in and pick up the next part"

13 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Canto became Archaons chief enforcer after the fall of middenhiem in the last end times book, and he had a light side to him. Some who follow chaos do so out of survival as much as anything. The duplicity of man is a powerful factor.

Absolutely it’s a really interesting side to Chaos followers worth exploring, it’s somethng that comes up with the followers of Nurgle quite often. Bloodreavers also tend to follow Chaos simply to survive, the Call of Archaon series had an interesting scene about that. The Khorne lord in the same series follows Khorne out of necessity and and desire for vengeance rather than religious fervour or lust for power  

It’s  something that can be used to elevate Chaos characters in their use as protagonists 

8 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Absolutely it’s a really interesting side to Chaos followers worth exploring, it’s somethng that comes up with the followers of Nurgle quite often. Bloodreavers also tend to follow Chaos simply to survive, the Call of Archaon series had an interesting scene about that. The Khorne lord in the same series follows Khorne out of necessity and and desire for vengeance rather than religious fervour or lust for power  

It’s  something that can be used to elevate Chaos characters in their use as protagonists 

Agreed. The backstory to the Glotts for example is tragic, and you can really understand where their anger and despair comes from. 

Furthermore it really outlines how dark the ‘good’ guys really are @Ollie Grimwood

That's almost certainly Neferata in that Malign Portents video. I wouldn't be surprised if that script was written by Josh Reynolds. Neferata is just as she is in the Eight Lamentations prequel short story by JR. Neferata is known for her extensive network of spies. Also, Malign Portents is about Death and Neferata is a Mortarch of Death.

I mentioned it in the Rumor thread, but the text in the email from GW that introduces the Visitor video reads as follows:

"From the shadows, a new foe emerges. An ancient nemesis is returning to the world of Warhammer, and the mystery of the Malign Portents deepens. Watch the epilogue and prepare for the reign of shadow..."

I didn't believe it at first, but I'm somewhat convinced this is the shadow aelves.

5 hours ago, Yeled said:

I mentioned it in the Rumor thread, but the text in the email from GW that introduces the Visitor video reads as follows:

"From the shadows, a new foe emerges. An ancient nemesis is returning to the world of Warhammer, and the mystery of the Malign Portents deepens. Watch the epilogue and prepare for the reign of shadow..."

I didn't believe it at first, but I'm somewhat convinced this is the shadow aelves.

Could be, but I'm going to bet it's a new version of an old Mortarch.

Someone's already suggested Vlad, so just for the sake of making an out-there sort of guess I'm going to say it'll be Luthor Harkon. Because spooky pirates. 

16 minutes ago, Inqy said:

Could be, but I'm going to bet it's a new version of an old Mortarch.

Someone's already suggested Vlad, so just for the sake of making an out-there sort of guess I'm going to say it'll be Luthor Harkon. Because spooky pirates. 

Well, the voice is clearly female so if it's a Mortarch it's likely Neferata. But the reign of shadow seems fairly specific...and the word is mentioned twice.

8 hours ago, Yeled said:

Oh you're right. Well that pretty much end the debate then. 99% sure it's Shadow Aelves. 

(Because : Neferata is already there, not returning. Vlad, Mortarch of Shadow is dead dead (he gave his Ring away in ET : Archaon), and has no female voice (IIRC ;) )

So ! hope  we'll see Malerion and Morathi like GW did Alarielle and Drycha !

On 1/9/2018 at 10:39 PM, Cargo Cult said:

Statue. Clearly an Ushabti.

Yup, I’m still missing Tomb Kings.

I think the malign portent is for people selling TK stuff for stupid money - when GW release TK's as a new faction and setra as a chaos god fuelled undead revenge machine.

The voice in the fire mentioned Nagash and death a lot, so I'm guessing its Neferata.

I need to get on and read the short stories, I'm well behind on the current story arc.

5 minutes ago, Sete said:

I think it will be Morathi aswell.

The 2 army's of aelfs could be Morathi and Malekith. 

Didn't Morathi had her own cult?

yes she was a secret worshipper of slaanesh.  Perhaps her storyline will work into the release of slaanesh when that story arc comes around, who knows.

Archived