Malign Portents

Will Myers

15 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Statue is clearly not to be taken literally, any more than in the many cases when space marines in 40k are called statues. It's a metaphor, perhaps the most obvious one for describing a towering, unemotional human-shaped warrior. He's not making a mistake. You could meet stormcast every day and still use a statue metaphor to describe them when they loom over you.

It is not written as a similie though, the figure is not described as statue like, but outright called one. it is most likely intentionally ambiguos. Absolutely nothing "clearly to be taken" about it either way.

Look, everyone, I am not saying this indicates any kind of developement or that it is clearly what I think it is. However, there is no basis to telling me I am clearly and objectively wrong in my reading either.

There is also the subject matter at hand to keep in mind here, these are Malign Portents stories, all of which had some sort of unusual (even for AoS)  magical turn of events to serve as Portent. If this is just about a Knight Excelsior purging the diseased, then there is actually nothing out of the ordinary (by AoS standarts) in this story. Then this is not a Portent, but just a day out of life in the Age of Sigmar story. That is well possible, but it would be a thematic deviation from the other MP content so far.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a simile, you're right, it's a metaphor. Love is outright called a battlefield in the song but there's no ambiguity there. If I hear about a large armoured figure with a hammer, surrounded by lightning described as a statue... I'd really struggle to call that fanciful or intentionally ambiguous, it's being referred to as a statue because that's stronger, more vivid and compact than saying it's 'like a statue' . I'll happily retract if it does turn out to be a lightning-shrouded hammer wielding necromantic statue-construct of Nagash but that's not what I see this story as hinting at.

The key unusual element to my mind is that here we have a stormcast in an explicitly adversarial role. Not as a liberator or a shining saviour or as a diplomat to the other free peoples but as a scary faceless threat. The retired veteran isn't a chaos cultist or even a Nagash-worshipper. He's prays to Alarielle and if he's corrupted in some manner, it's not at all emphasised or made clear to us. He seems innocent or, at worst, in the wrong place at the wrong time. And he's getting purged. The eerie shock of this, I think, comes from seeing a stormcast about to strike down this guy. It's grim and dark.

If folks have been reading the AoS novels - City of Secrets specifically - they'll know that the Knights Excelsior do this sort of thing but to be honest a lot of folks haven't been reading the AoS fiction and are still surprised by the details that come out. The response to the travellers's guide to the mortal realms video shows exactly that and I'd see this story as something similar. This, front and centre on the website, is the most prominent showing of the SC's dark/grim side so far and fits with the whole 'age of hope is over' aspect that's being pushed in the rest of the Malign Portents material.

And now we have a new behind the scenes video of Malign Portents. Check the MP website or its all over FB and WHTV channels. Not a lot of actual info, just more explaining the feel and theme, and obviously how cool it will be.  Lots of rules coming in the book, still we need to wait to see how these fit different types of play.

I am still wondering why people think it's a nagash statue when their armour is described to fit the knights excelsior and the stormcast exactly. Even doing a purge on people clearly infected by nurgle. I mean HELL IT'S RAINING(which is a sign of sigmar). Also with the lightning descriptions. 

3 minutes ago, Edgecoc said:

Maybe the stormcast statue flashing to a skeleton refers to the “cleansing” or killing they feel they have to do now.

The stormhost in this story do it all the time. City of secrets. People view them with fear not awe well the old people who can remember them.  As per an old free guild member "they are no fairy tale knights." 

Kurgan even bought up the image in the death thread. 

DTGO9kYXcAIZHJj.jpg:large

"Black Library needs you! We’re looking for new writers for the return of Inferno, and submissions editor Charlotte has some top tips on making your work stand out."

This is the message written in Warhammer community's article for this week's schedule. The interview will be held this thursday. I request someone volunteers to watch it and take notes for those interested but unable to watch it.

Just for the record I have not seen a single serious claim that it is a Nagash or Nagashite statue. Just some voices (or in this thread, pretty much only mine) that the word statue might be to be taken more literal than most do.

Our mileage obviously varies, but I see absolutely nothing new in a story about a Knight Excelsior brutally purging the innocent just because they might have a plague. We know they do this stuff all the time since about their very first mention and it has been an ongoing element since.

So I guess in the context of this being all about dark omens and portents revolving around Shysh, I might just find the reading of some Sigmarite statue becoming maliciously animated more exciting. But even then, from my first post on, I said it may as well be just be a KE (feel free to look back, it has not been edited).

So I am really susprised by the vehemence with which some attack the very idea of an alternate reading, though I suspect it is because I jokingly referenced the Deathcast idea.

2 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Any reference to the Weeping Ague elsewhere? Sounds naturally Nurgle related but it could be something to do with Nagash or Flesh-Eater courts? Maybe the victims are ways of Death recruiting more soldiers.

I think it's been listed as a nurgle affliction before, but the kind of thing where they literally list made up diseases.

Also when the story mentions he hears noises coming from the forest, it could be other knights purging the nurgle followers nearby.

4 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

It is not written as a similie though,...

3 hours ago, sandlemad said:

It's not a simile, you're right, it's a metaphor....

There's no time for metaphors cried the little pill to me
He said, "Life is a placebo masquerading as a simile"
Well, I knew that pill was lying
Too gregarious, too nice
But as he walked I had to sing this twice

-TMBG

Lie Still Little Bottle

Clearly.

:P

46 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I think it's been listed as a nurgle affliction before, but the kind of thing where they literally list made up diseases.

Also when the story mentions he hears noises coming from the forest, it could be other knights purging the nurgle followers nearby.

Yup, the father in story thought it was the nurgle warriors outside. Hence he was surprised to see the one who was is at the door. 

stormcast are not chummy guys, populace fear them. they will most definitely purge cities thought to be corrupted by chaos.

this idea that they are loved by all and respected rather than feared is something done by people who haven't really read the lore, or by people looking to poo poo AoS by making it seem all happy high fantasy. 

its grimdark, it just isnt well written about yet

8 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

stormcast are not chummy guys, populace fear them. they will most definitely purge cities thought to be corrupted by chaos.

this idea that they are loved by all and respected rather than feared is something done by people who haven't really read the lore, or by people looking to poo poo AoS by making it seem all happy high fantasy. 

its grimdark, it just isnt well written about yet

To add that those who are not feared have to actively mingle with the populace and even then people are somewhat surprised and weary when they pop up. Even so the hammers of sigmar would happily throw heretics and traitors off a bridge into molten magma in the shadow of sigmar's grand cathedral. 

1 hour ago, shinros said:

To add that those who are not feared have to actively mingle with the populace and even then people are somewhat surprised and weary when they pop up. Even so the hammers of sigmar would happily throw heretics and traitors off a bridge into molten magma in the shadow of sigmar's grand cathedral. 

Knights excelsior are also easily the most '40k' Stormhost too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a major plot point in city of secrets keeping the Knights from finding out about the chaos cult as long as possible just to avoid the inevitable mass purging that would happen in response?

4 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Knights excelsior are also easily the most '40k' Stormhost too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a major plot point in city of secrets keeping the Knights from finding out about the chaos cult as long as possible just to avoid the inevitable mass purging that would happen in response?

In a sense hence why 

they used a red herring to get majority of the chamber sent away to kill orcs. This story just solidifies how hard core they are. Sigmar made a stormhost out of the most zealous people he can find for a reason. The lord Veritant is called the white reaper lol. 

1 minute ago, xking said:

So Knights excelsior are the grimdark baby murder Stormhost. Hey we might get a Stormhost vs Stormhost war at some point.

Erm they have been doing this for awhile now. I don't think something like this would cause such a thing. 

8 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Statue is clearly not to be taken literally, any more than in the many cases when space marines in 40k are called statues. It's a metaphor, perhaps the most obvious one for describing a towering, unemotional human-shaped warrior. He's not making a mistake. You could meet stormcast every day and still use a statue metaphor to describe them when they loom over you.

Statue. Clearly an Ushabti.

Yup, I’m still missing Tomb Kings.

5 minutes ago, xking said:

Hey based on events in the godbeast book, We know the Celestial Vindicators don't like the Knights excelsior.

Yeah but they will still work together, stormhosts don't like each other but they will not let it get in the way of completing the mission given to them. Warbeast shows this. 

41 minutes ago, xking said:

The hammers of sigmar were never stated to " throw heretics and traitors off a bridge into molten magma". That was something that the rulers of Hammerhal did. And even then they are "heretics and traitors" not innocent people.

They never mention who carries out the punishment in the story and it was the hammers of sigmar character that bought up said punishment for treason in the first place. To scare the man into talking. Considering they largely founded the city and their Lord relictors are not above torturing heretics underground for information I think they are not above throwing traitors off a bridge.

Archived