Malign Portents

Will Myers

I have a feeling that we are going to see plenty of releases to AoS this year. In addition to Malign portents there are plenty of shadespire stuff atill upcoming as well and most of the rumour mill stuff looks exclusively Sigmarian. There is also a lot more open ideas on this side of Warhammer than on 40k.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to see the slaves to darkness getting some love - even if it's only one model. I will definitely be picking up the war queen. I'm not sure she will fit into my competitive list but as the competitive game seems to be swinging more towards grind lists i'm getting less interested in playing that way anyway. 

Same with Death, which will be my new army for 2018 - the knight of shrouds looks great so he's going in the list whatever his rules are.

I like the goblin but I don't have any destruction stuff and I think he would be a little out of scale in my Warhammer Fantasy orcs and goblins army.

The lord ordinator will need to have interesting rules before he gets on the team - I just feel like I have enough stormcast already. 

18 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Like I said, I have no goddam idea where I got it from and I know for sure it was only speculation anyway but if it were true relative power would be something to consider.

No, I remember this too. Think it was the first Community article talking about the new Death guy.

30 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

No, I remember this too. Think it was the first Community article talking about the new Death guy.

I have just looked it up and it is definitely not from the original Nova Community site announcement. I think we got the info from one of the official seminars?

Anyway, I thought it was time for some storyline speculation.

I think Nagash is pulling a Kansas city shuffle. At this point the portents are getting very overt and attention grabbing. But all this raising the dead en-masse doom and gloom is something Nagash could propably done at any time. He did not because he would have gotten his face smashed in by everyone else, just as the Warqueen is expecting in the second full video teaser and as has happened multiple times in the Age of Chaos (and there he had to compete only with Chaos and destruction, now he also has to content with Sigmar Stormhosts and their friends).

So why do it now? Because Nagash does not have the spells of obscurement Sigmar had to cover his tracks during the creation of the Stormcast. So whatever he is actually doing, every seer and prophet in the Realms would have brought attention to it. But now Nagash is taking direct action and all those bring the armies of their respective Alliance to Shysh to fight hordes of Skeletons and Zombies. And while they do that, Nagash can put his actual plot (again, whatever that is) into motion, with everyone occupied foiling him on an ultimately meaningless front.

Malign Portents - The Visionary

Prophecy to Sigmar's chosen was a matter of celestial divination.
And a gift. A holy command to the playthings of the Dark Gods.
Order and Chaos had offered pieces of the puzzle, but I needed to know more.
I hoped the most primal originaries possessed the answers I needed.

I found where. Scuttling in the dark of the Moon Clan caves.
Mutated by the magical fungi he ground beneath his rotten teeth.
Summoning his prophecies with fistfuls of poisonous mushrooms.
He devoured the .. spit cap, death cap, greeining Mooooon.
Give to me your bestest moon, then dreams once set your head ablazed.
To find the Waaagh at the end of daaaaays.

Order. Chaos. And then.. Destruction.

There was no denying in science. A great convergence of the Realm of Death.
A new war and Shyish would be its battlefield.
What transpired there?.. that threatened down us all..
If only I had known then, what laid at the end of the road I had chosen to walk..

I'm hoping they release something awesome for death, and so far we've seen hints at ghosts, madmen, pirates and zombies, so we could get some new kits out of all of the above, but I'm personally hoping for some Blood Knight Templars or swordsmen, some foot slogging warriors. Bone daddy bringing back a kingdom of bretonnia expy as his warriors would be pretty cool, and would make some visibly different chaos warrior equivalents compared to the others (slimmer, more human shaped warriors that hit as hard as the stormcasts or warriors themselves) while maintaining a twisted theme of past things now serving death.

Kingdoms abandoned by Sigmar and left to chaos, now back as the vengeful dead wanting to see the ruin of all that scorned them in life. Fallen empires reborn as blood thirsty vampires, half corporeal and half stagnant flesh, designed from cultures broken under the heel of chaos.... could be distinct enough to warrant these portents

23 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I think it will only be a new campaign or a new game like shadespire. Sorry guys...  stop hyping and wait

I think it'll be a 40k/AoS /WHFB/World of Warcraft crossover with the heralds actually being Amiibos.

Not like we have any actual evidence to confirm or deny until 16hrs from now.

Well, the intro for the Fungoid was about as fun and cute as I expected.

Skeletons sure seem to be the go to guys when representing Death in the MP teasers. More food for my thinking that Death will at the very least get a Deathrattle release this year. Just to be clear, I am not actually expecting any faction reveals tomorrow (though I would not complain :D). I think a timetable when the heralds are released, some straight talk of what Malign Portents means in game terms and more story teasers is about what we will get tomorrow.

I do not think the teasing of what exactly is going down in setting terms will stop any time soon. Malign Portents would be a bit of a misnaming if the Portents stopped with release. I think everybody heads into Shysh, gets into fights with Death and each other and every answer they find just raises more questions as the Portents continue.

3 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

I REMEMBER NOW! It was an offhand comment from a Vlog done by a guy who went to the preview seminar.

Wow, it was a lot of places removed...

Gotta say that with the sheer amount of hype they are generating, they better be delivering, or there'll be a lot of unhappy people. It's like gw is deliberately letting themselves be cornered, only to reveal some secret weapon at last moment. At the very minimum, this release should be some new campaign book/system plus some death miniature showcase/release (minimum in terms of keeping people happy). But for all we know, this could also be a brand new AoS edition too, with new logo, book and new starter set featuring death vs random faction (krhm, stormcast). They could easily add rules to game without ****** existing ones or existing warscrolls (and I wouldn't mind getting some new grand alliance books/app updates if they do need some warscroll changes).

Now obviously we can only speculate before the announcement, but seriously though: When have they ever set up such long lasting hype campaign and website for a mere book/army release? It's always either been major new game launch (shadespire) or new edition (40k 8th edition). Obviously I'm setting myself for disappointment here, but eh, I already got nurgle stuff so whatever. 

21 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Skeletons sure seem to be the go to guys when representing Death in the MP teasers. More food for my thinking that Death will at the very least get a Deathrattle release this year. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see a new box of skellies brought up to par with current model quality and scale. My reasoning is all the shadespire groups are basic troop types and the skellies received a new name and possible upgrade options  like the harvested sythe. So I bet we see that. Hoping for 20 man box with range and melee options. That would defiantly make the iconic undead skellies model good to go for the next 10 yrs. ;)

One can only hope.    

1 minute ago, angrycontra said:

Gotta say that with the sheer amount of hype they are generating, they better be delivering, or there'll be a lot of unhappy people. It's like gw is deliberately letting themselves be cornered, only to reveal some secret weapon at last moment. At the very minimum, this release should be some new campaign book/system plus some death miniature showcase/release (minimum in terms of keeping people happy). But for all we know, this could also be a brand new AoS edition too, with new logo, book and new starter set featuring death vs random faction (krhm, stormcast). They could easily add rules to game without ****** existing ones or existing warscrolls (and I wouldn't mind getting some new grand alliance books/app updates if they do need some warscroll changes).

Now obviously we can only speculate before the announcement, but seriously though: When have they ever set up such long lasting hype campaign and website for a mere book/army release? It's always either been major new game launch (shadespire) or new edition (40k 8th edition). Obviously I'm setting myself for disappointment here, but eh, I already got nurgle stuff so whatever. 

Agreed rumor (my rumor) is new campaign books in the style of the realmgate wars!

1 hour ago, chord said:

Agreed rumor (my rumor) is new campaign books in the style of the realmgate wars!

This but now they can leverage the campaign across a few products (WHQ, Shadespire) even though it is happening in the main AOS context. Box set would not be out of the question but so soon after Blightwar I'm not sure they are going to do that.

Archived