Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, shinros said:

This image pleases me. I like how they go lol no it's not stormcast! 

GNSqKsO.png

Considering from what has been said on GW run social media about them having "spies" in places like this one, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheeky dig at the whole; "Not  more stormcast" meme.

4 hours ago, Skarloc said:

7 days to go before we enter the Malign Portent party.. Would not be surprised if we get a new video teaser tomorrow..

The video released today felt like exactly that too me. "Nurgle vs Death". 

I started reading Nagash - The Undying King, last night which I guess is the first release for the malign portents story arc (ebook available from the 25th)

EDIT - Somebody has pointed out below that this Novel is Actually nothing to do with Malign Portents Apparently! I got confused by the xmas day "release" and the Nurgle/death content. Oh well its a good read so far anyway.

It pretty much confirms what we know already - that the main protagonists will initially be Nurgle and Death.

There is interesting insights into Shyish and the people who live there.

Right away the book also sets a precedent for undead warriors fighting with mortal warriors - the Tribes of Shyish reanimate important figures from their tribe to fight alongside the living warriors and act as guardians for their settlements - Its cool stuff :)

4 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I started reading Nagash - The Undying King, last night which I guess is the first release for the malign portents story arc (ebook available from the 25th)

It pretty much confirms what we know already - that the main protagonists will initially be Nurgle and Death.

There is interesting insights into Shyish and the people who live there.

Right away the book also sets a precedent for undead warriors fighting with mortal warriors - the Tribes of Shyish reanimate important figures from their tribe to fight alongside the living warriors and act as guardians for their settlements - Its cool stuff :)

Well, in fact the book is set during the Age of Chaos, so before AOS, and was released first as a Warhammer World exclusive in 2015-2016...

But many books at the end of the Realmgate Wars series ended with Death-related stuff (mainly Mortharch Of Night and Lord of Undeath).

BTW : new portent ; "the Asylum"

25550557_731186063744856_3695058179643427514_n.jpg

1 minute ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Well, in fact the book is set during the Age of Chaos, so before AOS, and was released first as a Warhammer World exclusive in 2015-2016...

Really?! They just released it on xmas day so I assumed it was a new book. Is this the first time its been available in digital format or something?

Glad you said something before I got confused by the book referencing things that have happened already!! I have only read a couple of chapters so far!!

6 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Really?! They just released it on xmas day so I assumed it was a new book. Is this the first time its been available in digital format or something?

Glad you said something before I got confused by the book referencing things that have happened already!! I have only read a couple of chapters so far!!

Yes !

https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2016/12/01/new-warhammer-world-exclusive-nagash-the-undying-king/ 

But it doesn't mean Josh Reynolds didn't already know the forthcoming theme for the next "season" of AOS when he wrote it ;)

BTW the book is great, notably what you say about the "synergy" between leaving and dead tribesmen. 

What could this mean? Right now we have the field, the ship, the icon, the falling star, the village and the asylum as our clues. The village had a Nighthaunt feel, but the Asylum looks more like something that would represent the FEC so.... I don't know what to think!

So far the the theme of these Malign Portents teasers seems to be that there is no theme, which I think probably reinforces the idea that it's going to be Nagash and the forces of Death pushing forward on all fronts. Not just his forces marching out from Shyish, but also scary ghostly stuff popping up all over the mortal realms.

Archeon attack on Nagash severely weakened him, Im pretty sure this is his comeback. 

Sigmar attack on him threw something off balance with the soul collection system aswell, then Archeon attacked. I'm pretty sure he's back to get what his.

So I'm assuming this event is way after the events of Nagash the Undying king.

Do we have any precedent of triangles having any Death related meaning? Because I can not remember any.

It might (mind you, this is very big maybe) point to Death getting some new iconography, which is somethin GWs Undead has always been lacking.

Think about it, pretty much any force or faction GW has ever done had an entire library of easily recognizable symbols that would be repeated at nauseum across everything related to it (even Tyranids have one on their books and used by genestealers, even though they themself never use it, for obvious reasons). But GW never managed to establish any strong ones for its Undead.

There have been some tries (numerous regular skull variants, fanged skulls, the Blood Dragon) but they always where not very unique in a world where every warrior and their mom is running around covered in skulls and most factions have stylised dragon snuck in somewhere. I mean, the Death symbol most used in AoS, as far as I can tell, is just a Chaos star made of bones with a skull stuck in the middle (that one propably goes back all the way to when Warhammer Undead where actually a part of Chaos). That is not a very satisfying or unique symbol for a Grand Alliance.

10 minutes ago, Sete said:

Archeon attack on Nagash severely weakened him, Im pretty sure this is his comeback. 

Sigmar attack on him threw something off balance with the soul collection system aswell, then Archeon attacked. I'm pretty sure he's back to get what his.

So I'm assuming this event is way after the events of Nagash the Undying king.

Nagash: The Undying King takes place during the Age of Chaos, after Archaon broke Nagash but before the Stormcasts are unleashed. 

So here is my interpretation of the asylum, perhaps it's showing that if you want to be safe embrace nagash. Everyone is scared because knowing the mortal realms signs must be popping up that things are going down. Nagashite's are on the streets are shouting to embrace the great necromancer etc.

Plus the triangles may perhaps represents the black pyramids. 

The Asylum and the triangles in it puts me in mind of the "impossible angles" of the Cthulhu mythos. I wonder if Death's resurgence in the Mortal Realms stirs some eldritch horror from beyond or between the realms?

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

1 hour ago, JReynolds said:

Nagash: The Undying King takes place during the Age of Chaos, after Archaon broke Nagash but before the Stormcasts are unleashed. 

I wonder that guy that was with Manfreed, who was him?

Probably an Easter egg that I have missed. 

When getting on mobile, the Malign Portents website produces this image. I’m going to assume that this is the same case as with 40k 8th edition, where we had no idea that the teaser image was a primaris marine. I’m going to guess Nagash’s new army are going to look like pic related

88C950F9-3EB8-4616-9F57-3C6E09A9CE30.jpeg

2 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

When getting on mobile, the Malign Portents website produces this image. I’m going to assume that this is the same case as with 40k 8th edition, where we had no idea that the teaser image was a primaris marine. I’m going to guess Nagash’s new army are going to look like pic related

Looks like  a nice little mash up of death rattle and night haunt.

15 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

Already discussed page 4 of this very thread.... But it looks like a traditional Skelly with death magic, has the hourglass like the Knight of Shroud, and the skull "crown" like the Shadespire guard.

25 minutes ago, Sete said:

I wonder that guy that was with Manfreed, who was him?

Probably an Easter egg that I have missed. 

Have you listened to the hunt of nagash series? Just think of that and the answer is pretty clear. Honestly I think that is one of the saddest stories so far. 

Archived