Points Only Games

The matched play section of GH2017 gives you the option to play with “points only” and since we have been looking for ways to make some of the weaker sub factions more competitive we  decided to give this system  a try - with a few additional rules. Anyone playing an army that has a battletome has to use the normal rules. Tzeentch unbound would not be fun!!

·         You can choose your force from the allies selection open to whatever allegiance you will use + compendium warscrolls. So I can choose Darkling Covens allegiance but select my entire army from Order Serpentis for example – not that I would!

·         We keep the battleline/leaders/behemoths/artillery restrictions but your battleline options include all the “battleline if” options across the alliance.

·         The Generals command abilities apply to all units in the army, not just the sub faction keyword in the warscroll.

·         Spell lores – you can swap your warscroll spell for one from any other warscroll in the alliance if you already have the warscroll spell in your list. So if I have 1 sorceress on black dragon she has to take bladewind, if I have 2 the 2nd one can swap it out for doombolt, chill wind, word of pain or roiling blackness.

This has been really successful at making our Darkling Covens and Brayherds armies more interesting and levelling the playing field with the more developed allegiances. It also makes them more thematic. My daughters of khaine force looks way better with some executioners, an assassin, dark riders and a sorceress thrown in than it would with 3 cauldrons and 90 witch elves.

The best thing about it is that we are fielding things which are normally a bit underwhelming and never see the tabletop. Drakespawn knights are fairly weak normally but if you can run and charge from the darkling command ability they become quite useful. Ambushing bullgors are also quite scary! Which they should be!

Some people may not be keen on this because it does make the armies more powerful but amongst a group of regular opponents it works really well.

Sounds a nice way of playing things slightly differently. Like you have mentioned, it's all down to how you like playing in your gaming group and if this is what is needed to get everybody playing and having fun, thats great. The beauty of Age of Sigmar is that you play it how you want to play it. :D 

Archived