Problems with Shades.

Uveron

Good Morning.

In the last two weeks I have had the same issues with both Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade.

The wash goes on well, but as it dry’s some areas turn white and crack up.. Have anyone seen this issue before? (See photo)

And does any an easy fix for when it happens?

20171212_192952.jpg.8849f7c441329009bd8d58a2af132ffc.jpg

13 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If you’re mixing it with tap water in thinning,  it may be minerals from the water. 

I recommend using Lamian medium if you’re going to thin the wash, or only a tiny bit of distilled water.

I wish I was using Tap Water! I do think that was the problem. I wasn't thinning much at all,  but I have been painting on site for the last 7 weeks (I work on a Oil Rig), and the water we have in the taps is considered 'non portable' so there are probably contaminates in it. 

I so far have been able to 'fix' by using a dry, dry brush to remove the loose powder and retouching the area. But looks like I will be using bottled water now for my paint cup. 

6 hours ago, Uveron said:

I wish I was using Tap Water! I do think that was the problem. I wasn't thinning much at all,  but I have been painting on site for the last 7 weeks (I work on a Oil Rig), and the water we have in the taps is considered 'non portable' so there are probably contaminates in it. 

I so far have been able to 'fix' by using a dry, dry brush to remove the loose powder and retouching the area. But looks like I will be using bottled water now for my paint cup. 

Uuuf! Oil Rig? Ocean? You may be dealing with water softeners, or they may be pulling water from the the surrounding water with minimal processing for de-salinization. 

For thinning paints and shades bottled water or Lamian medium (which is basically the same stuff as the paint medium ... but without the paint pigment.) I will sometimes use distilled water or reverse osmosis purified water for rehydrating paints.

And as Duncan often says “remember to give your paints a good shake” and “two thin coats” 

Let us know how it turns out! :) 

47 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Uuuf! Oil Rig? Ocean? You may be dealing with water softeners, or they may be pulling water from the the surrounding water with minimal processing for de-salinization. 

Its a Land Rig, But Yep I have no idear the quality of the water. Its not safe for drinking or cooking with! Guess I need to get some Medium for my paint collection next time Iam in town. 

14 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

The white is the matting agent added to the shade to give it a flat finish.  Normally it's because the pot needs shaking more or needs to be given a stir.  Some people have been able to recover this by painting neat Lahmian medium over the white patch

It's definitely this. The wetting agent in the shades will dry white if you add too much water to it. It's because it's actually clear, but the addition of water will cause micro-cracking which turns it from clear to white (sort of like a clear plastic cup that's been rubbed with a very fine sandpaper.) I've seen it happen a number of times when I pull some shade out of the pot and mix it with water without shaking the bottle properly, since the addition of water cause messes with the drying times (which causes cracking).

Did you spray your mini before painting and washing? Friend had the same issue and we came to a conclusion that it was because of the spray. Was probably too cold when he sprayed or something, fixed with varnish and redid washes over varnish. It was a building though and not something youd want really nice finish. 

15 hours ago, Routasydän said:

Did you spray your mini before painting and washing? Friend had the same issue and we came to a conclusion that it was because of the spray. Was probably too cold when he sprayed or something, fixed with varnish and redid washes over varnish. It was a building though and not something youd want really nice finish. 

No this was a issue with the wash, the texture wasnt present pre-wash.

I have had issues with Priming before, (Living in South Central USA I have had to get used to humidity and temp issues. 

Archived