Returning greenskins player

Binks

First of all, please excuse grammar mistakes since English is not my first language.

I'm a moderately competive player who used to play Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy, I really loved them, 2500 pts or so fully painted. But I left them since I couldn't win a single game (people played Empire or Skavens with full shooty armies) and got tired, started to hate them, I thought the rules didnt really made them justice (apart from the "fun" rules) and it didn't help my dislike for full goblin armies.

Since AoS i've read that greenskins have improved a lot, that are more fun to play and the rules reflects more accurately the lore about them. They've have piqued my interest again and would like to know a bit more.

What models can I still play that are not from the "legacy" army? Most units have changed names and can't find them all.

What should I buy in order to focus on a orruk army? What faction? I've seen Ironjaws and Bonesplitter and more faction names but I can't really tell the difference or how they play.

I'm quite lost with the new orruks and would appreciate any tip or help.

Thanks a lot in advance

Loosely the old greenskins are now two races, orruks (orcs) and grots (goblins). Each of these is then split into a variety of subjects factions which represent the different ways that orcs and goblins exist/fight. Focusing only on the orcs, since you said you hated goblins.

Ironjawz

The most mainstream orruks now. Imagine an entire army of black orcs, imagine that those black orcs were the smallest kind of Orruk. That is an ironjawz army.

Very tough, lots of wounds, low model count, solid saves. Even you chaff unit is 450 points for 30 and they have 2 wounds a piece with 4+ saves.

Bonesplitterz

Savage orcs by a different slightly more intresting name. No srsly.

Probably the strongest orruks atm mainly because of the Kunnin Rukk. 

These and ironjawz are the two rounded Orruk factions, they both have alligance abilities and books of their own. Ignoring the arrowboys spam both are around T2 atm with solid variety and list options. Kunnin Rukk is likely the only T1 destruction army.

Greenskinz

This is the army of its namesake. It's the old orcs but without savage or black orcs. 

The weakest of the 3 orruks due to a lack of alleigance abilities. Almost all the old models, minus black orcs, now have warscrolls for these. They have some solid models and list options but don't have any pro level advocates atm so aren't featured or discussed much.

Despite the above, since orruks are 90 points for 10 you can fill your battleline requirements for just 270 points. This means they can form the Base of a grand alliance destruction army very easily.

General Stuff

With the 2017 gbh allies have added a ton of options. This like grot arti or giants are avaliable as allies so there is definitely the possibility for some old world greenskinz vibez.

If you want more info check out the stickied topic, there's some good links there. If you still have questions afterwards fire away in this thread and we'll see if we can't give you some answers.

WAAAGH! 

Pretty much what Malakree said.

The thing I'll say about Greenskinz is that. For the most part, they feel fairly pointed (But the Warboss pays a premium for his command ability/great waaagh banner), but they just are so plain and vanilla that all they do is what's written on the box.

What that means is they don't really have anything that's going to catch you out by surprise. No killy unit to build a list around. They really lack some elite hammer unit (Because the Ardboyz got shifted into Ironjawz), and you can't even load up on Great Weapon Warbosses because you're paying that premium for stuff you aren't using (the command ability, banner).

Because of that Greenskinz really are pushed into a mixed destruction army. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing (Considering they don't have any allegiance abilities), but you have to ask what you're really getting from relying on the Greenskinz.

Thanks a lot everyone! I really liked your review Malakree, you solved all my questions in one go.

I've decided to focus on the Ironjaws since black orcs where my favourite unit back then and an elite orruk army sounds awesome, will buy the battletome and some new units.

I've checked the links in the stickied post and found them quite interesting so thanks for the heads up. Will stick to the forum to see what kind of lists are being played :)

1 hour ago, Binks said:

I've decided to focus on the Ironjaws since black orcs where my favourite unit back then and an elite orruk army sounds awesome, will buy the battletome and some new units.

Welcome to the Jawz! They are really fun and can hit like a truck but beware: They are tricky to play. More tactics required than one might think. They are an elite melee army and there is so much you can do wrong when you set them up. Also, you will find it hard to play about strong shooting armies. I would always go with 2 spear chukkas as allies to snipe out enemy heroes. Have fun.

6 hours ago, Binks said:

an elite orruk army sounds awesome

That's totally why I went for them ? 

Get the warscroll cards and tokens gw do; for £10 they are amazing and so much easier to use than the battletome, get that to for the fantastic artwork and lore.

Things like remembering your frenzy of violence or ironclad on the megaboss is so much easier with the tokens.

If you checked the pinned links you probably saw the post I did on buying ironjawz. The thing I would add to that is to try units of 30 (ardboyz), 10 (brutes) and 6 (ggs). Ironjawz units get significantly better at larger sizes because of our unit buffs and, of course,  smashin an bashin. A good smashin turn is a huge swing that very few armies can properly eat.

Archived