Turn order Reference sheet ?

Keith

After watching a lot of you tube reports  , trying to learn the game better I see a lot of "oh I forgot to do this"  , "I forgot my shooting phase" etc.

Is there a better way of remembering  your turn sequence  and abilities ??

Before I go an re invent the wheel , has anyone made a something that will help a newb ?

I've not seen anything. I have made things myself but it's a very simple bullet point list about each unit in my army to help me have a quick glance to see what I need to do. Usually after a few games I don't need it. One of the best things I can think of is using Que Cards and you turn them over each phase or you have a sheet where you tick things off to keep track of what is happening (I think the new notebooks from GW do this)

When I was just starting out I made one of these so I wouldn't waste my opponent's time flipping through books to find my own guy's stats. Separated by phase all the abilities and spells with their casting values and stuff, back side was move/wounds/save and weapon profiles.

Laminated it at kinkos for like $2

Youve probably seen players refer to a 'cheat sheet' in the forums which is what you want to make, ive not seen a template but what people want varies quite a lot anyway.

For me its Turn phases with details of what i should be doing in each and typically the order to do it. Also include reminders for each phase such as 'keep unit x within 6" of general to keep battleshock buff' or some such thing.   Others also include more basic details on unit profiles such as movement or to-hit values. I do also have a deployment section to remind me key synergies and stop myself getting carried away trying to counter opponents deployments.

Really it depends on how familiar you are with your units, what you need to be reminded of, and how much information you want to cram onto a sheet. Too much as its not helpful any more.

For regular phases the best thing is to ask to yourself if you have done everything you wanted to and re-check. After a few battles it will come natural. I also have the tendency that if i forget something, i run with it (that way i won't forget about it again). I don't mind if my opponent rollsback tho,

For turns, rounds and VPs i use a small paper sheet i use also in magic the gathering. It's very convenient because it has 5 slots divided into two, so i can use it to put down the VPs for my opponent and myself, and it also helps me (us) to keep track on what turn we are withouth dice around. Some people use dice, but i have a tendency to randomly pick up dice to "organize" them and keep the table "clean", that's why i use paper instead, or use different colour dice for wounds.

Another thing that helped me a lot is the spells. I use the warscroll tokens, but i painted the backside with the name and the cast requirement. That way i keep track of who has X spells/prayers, and when i cast a spell, i flip it so i know i had already casted that spell on that wizard, not to speak that i also know the cast requirement.

Overall the game doesn't require to keep track on things as much as other games, so it works fine for me.

I've been through this. I wrote a table of stuff to look at as I do my turns, split by phase. My 'idiot sheet'. Helps to also write things like spell cast values, buff ranges, etc. 

Also, I know this sounds stupid, but re-read your warscrolls after you've played 5 games or so. Like really read them. You'll notice stuff you've been playing wrongly. 

I did the following:

For each game I play I have a sheet of paper that looks roughly like this:

My army   ------------------------------   Opponent's army

1 -  H M S C C B        ----------------      H M S C C B

2 - H M S C C B         ----------------      H M S C C B

3 - H M S C C B         ----------------      H M S C C B

4 - H M S C C B         ----------------      H M S C C B

5 - H M S C C B         ----------------      H M S C C B

I mark who won the initiative in each round (rounds are the lines from top to bottom) with a small dot on the right or left and then I just tick off the phases and the rounds. I also note down the objective points for each round as soon as it is over.

Nowadays I know it by heart but this helped me and my friend immensely when we learned the game

In the beginning I also noted down a check list so I don't forget to do something important, such as using a command ability or a Ark of Sotek Bastiladon always acting at the beginning of a combat phase, or to declare swift or savage mode for my Thunderquake Starhost.

I’m going to recommend the standard GW 4 page rules.

warhammer-aos-rules-en.pdf

On page 2 they have a “Battle Rounds” section:

“BATTLE ROUNDS
Mighty armies crash together amid the spray of blood and the crackle of magic.

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar is played in a series of battle rounds, each of which is split into two turns – one for each player. At the start of each battle round, both players roll a dice, rolling again in the case of a tie.  The player that rolls highest decides who takes the  first turn in that battle round. Each turn consists of the following phases:

1. Hero Phase
Cast spells and use heroic abilities.
2. Movement Phase
Move units across the battle field.
3. Shooting Phase
Attack with missile weapons.
4. Charge Phase
Charge units into combat.
5. Combat Phase
Pile in and attack with melee weapons.
6. Battleshock Phase
Test the bravery of depleted units.

Once the  first player has  finished their turn, the second player takes theirs. Once the second player has also  finished, the battle round is over and a new one begins.”

Also, I recommend have your warscrolls printed out (or use the GW Warscroll cards) and have a cheat sheet for your spells (having the most recent faq printed is also good.)

I think each army list really needs it's own quick reference/cheat sheet.  A generic one ends up with lots of unused items which ultimately confuses the issue even more.  So off the top of my head, if I were running Goretide with my army mine might look like:

1. Hero Phase
Beginning - Blood Tithe
Goretide D6" move for whole army (1 dice) can move within combat
Mighty Lord Command Ability
Priest Prayers (4+, roll of 1 = D3 MW's to priest)
Plant Slaughterpriest Banner
Roll dice for each enemy unit within 8" of Slaughterpriest, on 4+ D3 MW's
If Mighty Lord within 8" of enemy, make a pile-in and attack
If BB unit within 12" of Mighty Lord (who is within 3" of enemy), can attempt a charge and make ONE attack

2. Movement
Move the Skull Cannon you muppet

3. Shooting
Khorgorath + Skull Cannon

4. Charge Phase
Declare charges
Roll for each unit with 1" of Juggernauts after charge, 4+ inflict D3 MW

5. Combat
Maul, rend, kill
Mighty lord re-rolls failed hits + wounds
Mighty lord has rend -2 and causes MW's instead of damage on wound roll of 6
Exalted DB ignores rend -1

6. Battleshock
Ignore if within 18" of Slaughterpriest else
Roll D6 for each unit, add number of dead models from unit, if over bravery remove 1 model for each difference

14 hours ago, jkav86 said:

Runebrush, really useful list. Its the kind of thing anyone new or starting a new army should think of doing

Thanks!  I think the key thing is not to simply repeat all of the rules.  For me the key question is "what things am I likely to forget" and after a few games "what things am I forgetting".  Those are the bits that need listing in such a way it prompts you to do them. 

One example is that I played a Skirmish game the other weekend using Duardin & Freeguild.  Great fun was had by all, but I forgot a few bits and bobs such as Stand and Shoot.  If I were to create a quick reference sheet, I'd make sure to put that down somewhere - however I did remember the +1 to hit if a Handgunner didn't move, so no point in writing that down :)

TL:DR - Quick reference sheet needs to be specific to you.  A generic one is great for starting off, but after a couple of games streamline it for how you play.

This is great. I have been thinking about this recently and the examples and advice you guys have given here are wonderful. Thank you for this, I'll be toying with my own over the weekend.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:05 AM, RuneBrush said:

TL:DR - Quick reference sheet needs to be specific to you.  A generic one is great for starting off, but after a couple of games streamline it for how you play.

This^ is great advice. And CONGRATULATIONS  on that project tally, wow very impressive RuneBrush.

Archived