Jump to content
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Mohojoe

Gristlebeard and the Iron Throng - Destruction PLOG

11 posts in this topic

Mohojoe    562

Greetings 

This is going to be a blog for my Destruction army.

My main focus is to become the worlds greatest player using Ogors, thus forcing Games Workshop to take note and release a Battletome for Ogors restoring them to their rightful place as lords of everything.

Failing that, I guess it will just be a record of me painting and converting some cool minis, a battle report or two and maybe some lore.

 

The list I am looking to go with to start with is:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders

Tyrant (160) - Great Gutgouger

Butcher (140)

Butcher (140)

Units

60 x Grots (270)

6 x Leadbelchers (280)

6 x Leadbelchers (280)

3 x Ironguts (200)

3 x Gorgers (180)

Behemoths

Aleguzzler Gargant (170) - Allies

Aleguzzler Gargant (170) - Allies

Total: 1990 / 2000

Allies: 340 / 400

The aim being to use the Tyrants command ability: "Bully of the First Degree: If a Tyrant uses this ability, pick one Gutbusters unit from your army within 6". That unit suffers D3 mortal wounds but does not then have to take battleshock tests for the rest of the battle whilst this Tyrant is alive and on the battlefield."  I will be using this on the grots to give me 60 - D3 models, immune to battleshock. Also applying mystic shield with a butcher to make them harder to shift.

For your viewing pleasure I have added some pictures of my current progress, 60 grots and a conversion for my Tyrant

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

Edited by Mohojoe
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. I am considering starting a Gutbusters army myself. I have a Thundertusk I was going to use as an ally to provide Mortal Wounds. 

Did you convert your tyrant from the Bloodbowl Ogre model?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohojoe    562
1 hour ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Nice work. I am considering starting a Gutbusters army myself. I have a Thundertusk I was going to use as an ally to provide Mortal Wounds. 

Did you convert your tyrant from the Bloodbowl Ogre model?

I have one too that I keep going back and forth on adding to my list. I could make it fit instead of the gargants rather easily but I'm going to try without it to start with.

it is indeed. Originally it had a musket pistol in the other hand but I found it is slightly smaller scale than the usual ogors range. Makes it look a little off with some kitbashes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kramer    778
On 11/30/2017 at 8:06 PM, Mohojoe said:

to become the worlds greatest player using Ogors

Hope you make it :D 

First off that conversion is super cool! Really dynamic. 

Thought about the 40 gnoblars with the tyrants ability in the same way, never got round to getting that much gnoblars. (Ogors started as a second army so like them elite). I will be looking forward to hear about your experiences.
Don't know if you are looking for it. So feel free to ignore, or better yet test for yourself :) But some things I found were,
- Leadbelchers are great as objective holders but I couldn't get them to work besides that. 
- Bigger units of simple Ogors are great, they almost always are my MVP's. Give a unit of 9 a go. 
- Ironguts are amazing! But my regular opponents now know and they have a big target on their back :D (maybe that's the reason for the previous point)
- Butchers are great! (don't forget to model them a couldron,)

What's your thoughts on the Troggoth Hag? As a Troggoth I assumed she is a viable ally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohojoe    562

@Kramer

Thank you for the kind words bud :)

leadbelchers I found to be a bit lacking when I used them before, I did however run minimum size units so I would like to give them another go. 

Ogor bulls with the iron fists are brilliant for reflecting damage. I found them best in multiples of 6. Mostly due to their attack range and base size, making it unlikely to get all of them in combat. Also even in low numbers 6 are hard to shift for an opponent. I definitely would like to try using higher numbers of them now that they have the point reduction on a max unit.  

I have never used Ironguts. Originally I assumed they were just bulls on steroids, but I was aiming to plug the armies weaknesses rather than invest in its strengths. I like that they count as battle line if you are Gutbusters aligned but the huge points cost always scares me off them. Would love to hear opinions on how to run them in a list or play them! 

Butchers with cauldrons always! I am surprised that never got removed in GHB2! 

Troll hag is fantastic. Absoloytely brilliant model and rules, and really helps plug up some of our weaknesses. I however have the same issue with using her as with the thindertusk. I would go general destruction rather than using her as an ally, double down on normal bulls for battleline and look to add another big model in.  The reason being is that whenever I run just one big model it always gets focused by an average player. It's a big point sink to have someone focus all their fire power on. 

I would however love to run her with some troggoths as well, I think they are under looked as a hard hitting unit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kessler    38

Nice conversion, I'm waiting for my own blood bowl ogre for converting. 

I just wanted to add, that if you use 9 Ogors, you can make it to 12 ogor unit just for 40 points.  However, I also use them in units of 6. 

Ironguts can be great. They lack the cool special abilities that regular Ogors have, but damage 3 is awesome. Especially if you get that +1 to hit from butcher. Otherwise their 33% hit-wound probability may really ruin your day :). It's rather bad if your most elite unit fails to land a blow. 

They got point reduction in GHB 2017 and are now almost appropriately costed. I run them in unit of 6, they cost as much as 12 Ogors and their damage output is the same, considering rend as well. Plus bigger range and better save (but much less wounds). In unit of 3 they don't really work for me, too big chance to make no damage at all for 200 points unit. 

But I really hope you keep this thread updated, I very much like to see how Ogors could fight!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kramer    778
On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

Ogor bulls with the iron fists are brilliant for reflecting damage. I found them best in multiples of 6. Mostly due to their attack range and base size, making it unlikely to get all of them in combat. Also even in low numbers 6 are hard to shift for an opponent. I definitely would like to try using higher numbers of them now that they have the point reduction on a max unit.  

 

Same reasoning here, like to include one big now. In smaller point values, a bit less ;) 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

leadbelchers I found to be a bit lacking when I used them before, I did however run minimum size units so I would like to give them another go. 

 

Go for it and let us know. For me it is also buying another box to try them out which makes me hesitant about them. 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

I have never used Ironguts. Originally I assumed they were just bulls on steroids, but I was aiming to plug the armies weaknesses rather than invest in its strengths. I like that they count as battle line if you are Gutbusters aligned but the huge points cost always scares me off them. Would love to hear opinions on how to run them in a list or play them! 

 

The point difference is big. I know that some argue against them and to be fair those arguments are valid. I don't play tournaments so they might lose their effecitveness in that setting. But for me, getting 6 ironguts or 9 ogors in combat is fairly interchangable. But when I field those 6 irongut.... I know they are the target, so it gives me a better estimate of my opponents priorities. 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

Butchers with cauldrons always! I am surprised that never got removed in GHB2! 

 

yeah boi!

On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

Troll hag is fantastic. Absoloytely brilliant model and rules, and really helps plug up some of our weaknesses. I however have the same issue with using her as with the thindertusk. I would go general destruction rather than using her as an ally, double down on normal bulls for battleline and look to add another big model in.  The reason being is that whenever I run just one big model it always gets focused by an average player. It's a big point sink to have someone focus all their fire power on. 

 

I'm still not sure, but I love the model hate the price. So... it is just a matter of time ;) 

Please make sure to do the bat-reps, love to hear your experiences. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kessler    38
On 02/12/2017 at 10:55 AM, Mohojoe said:

I have never used Ironguts. Originally I assumed they were just bulls on steroids, but I was aiming to plug the armies weaknesses rather than invest in its strengths. I like that they count as battle line if you are Gutbusters aligned but the huge points cost always scares me off them. Would love to hear opinions on how to run them in a list or play them!

I just had a 1500 point game against sylvaneth vs Ogors with mostly ironguts, so I think it's quite relevant here.

I skipped the ordinary Ogors altogether and went for all ironguts list (12 altogether).  List: tyrant, 6x ironguts, 6x ironguts, 3x leadbelchers, 1x Thundertusk beastriders ally.


Sylvaneth: ancient treelord, spirit of durthu, branchwych, 3x kurnoth hunters, 5x some kind of deers from wanderers as ally, 5x tree revenants, 20x dryad, 10x dryad.

-generally the list worked rather well, better than I hoped

-especially considering that Thundertusk did NO damage at all, I rolled only 1s, would have been better off with 9 ordinary ogors or 6 leadbelchers!)

-Tyrant with gutgouger was crazy good, +1 from battlebrew and +1 might is right gave me 6 times the double damage and he single handedly killed 3 kurnoth hunters in two rounds and unit of some kind of deers

-standing leadbelchers were like pendulum: they shot very well once, did zero damage on the next round. Good for objective holders: battleplan was Scorched Earth, melee guys have to leave the objective and cannot score, but leadbelchers' sat on an objective and could still do some damage. 

-2 units of 6 ironguts are awesome! Damage output was great. And this even considering that they were against saves 3+ and -1 (or even -2) to hit.  That said, -1 penalty to hit almost nullifies them. It took me 3 turns to kill 20 dryads near wyldwood (-1 to hit, save 3+ and rerolling stuff). Their ability Down to Ironguts is still pointless, as I always try that my 4 wound ogors don't flee.  Never got 6+ save against magic.

Things to consider

-Butcher is unreliable, but I could have really used that +1 to hit on ironguts

-still not enough units: scoring is hard, maybe add some more small leadbelcher units (or ogors)

-model count is small, ie scoring vs large units is bad, so maybe 12 ogors can still be a good idea

-triumph can really help ogors. So that can be considered if making a list. And have a marker for triumph :)

Edited by Kessler
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kramer    778
3 hours ago, Kessler said:

I just had a 1500 point game against sylvaneth vs Ogors with mostly ironguts, so I think it's quite relevant here.

I skipped the ordinary Ogors altogether and went for all ironguts list (12 altogether).  List: tyrant, 6x ironguts, 6x ironguts, 3x leadbelchers, 1x Thundertusk beastriders ally.


Sylvaneth: ancient treelord, spirit of durthu, branchwych, 3x kurnoth hunters, 5x some kind of deers from wanderers as ally, 5x tree revenants, 20x dryad, 10x dryad.

-generally the list worked rather well, better than I hoped

-especially considering that Thundertusk did NO damage at all, I rolled only 1s, would have been better off with 9 ordinary ogors or 6 leadbelchers!)

-Tyrant with gutgouger was crazy good, +1 from battlebrew and +1 might is right gave me 6 times the double damage and he single handedly killed 3 kurnoth hunters in two rounds and unit of some kind of deers

-standing leadbelchers were like pendulum: they shot very well once, did zero damage on the next round. Good for objective holders: battleplan was Scorched Earth, melee guys have to leave the objective and cannot score, but leadbelchers' sat on an objective and could still do some damage. 

-2 units of 6 ironguts are awesome! Damage output was great. And this even considering that they were against saves 3+ and -1 (or even -2) to hit.  That said, -1 penalty to hit almost nullifies them. It took me 3 turns to kill 20 dryads near wyldwood (-1 to hit, save 3+ and rerolling stuff). Their ability Down to Ironguts is still pointless, as I always try that my 4 wound ogors don't flee.  Never got 6+ save against magic.

Things to consider

-Butcher is unreliable, but I could have really used that +1 to hit on ironguts

-still not enough units: scoring is hard, maybe add some more small leadbelcher units (or ogors)

-model count is small, ie scoring vs large units is bad, so maybe 12 ogors can still be a good idea

-triumph can really help ogors. So that can be considered if making a list. And have a marker for triumph :)

GREat write up 👍

My experiences have been similar have never tried just going all ironguts. Most def going to give that a go. 

Whats your opinion on 1 maybe two squads of gnoblars? Tyrants ability on them to make them more durable and just hold objectives? 

Just the butcher remark... what’s so unreliable? His spell, 7up, is quite good. A lot more durable than, say the Chaos sorcerer I use which is 20pt more expensive. Adds the much needed extra hero for certain scenarios. At least that’s my experience. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kessler    38

By unreliable i meant that unreliable  to get +1 to hit for ironguts: 33%. And that's why I want him

Also, usually my butcher hangs somewhere between 3 to 5 wounds: all wounds self inflicted. So he's more like 4 wound wizard :). With 5+ save. 

The spell might be great, but 7 is a bit hard for casting and then hoping to roll 4 to attack again... I don't now... I haven't made the math, but rolling 7 and then 4 and 4+ again and then hope to roll damage well is unreliable for me :). So you might expect 3-4 mortal wounds out of it? If I have one butcher, I always cast mystic shield anyway. 

However, till now I always took it and will take again, actually I'm converting another one right now. Very fun model to play with. And as I said, almost a must, too. I missed him. 

Concerning grots: can be useful, but actually I have no idea. I don't like painting small models and don't like moving 40 models on the board. So not an option for me anyway. 

Edited by Kessler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohojoe    562

Nice little write up @Kessler 

So my next event is a Doubles tournamrnt, 1 k points each. 

The list I'm looking to run is:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders

Tyrant (160) - General - Great Gutgouger - Artefact : Battle Brew

Butcher (140)

Units

60 x Grots (270)

3 x Ogors (120) -Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists

3 x Ogors (120) -Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists

Behemoths

Aleguzzler Gargant (170)

Total: 980 /1000 

I'm putting in the work on the grots as I think they are really gonna help make Gutbusters competitive.  

With this list I have a few options, I can choose to be Gutbusters allegiance and get access to leadbelchers as battleline. I can drop the gargant and use some cheaper casters such as grots for cheap mystic shields etc. 

I like the gargant personally as its a big target to distract from your units and  he can be pretty effective against hordes, as long as you can keep him healthy. not entirely sure at his use in a 1k game though.  I could instead have 6 ogors and 3 lead belchers.

 

Any way, im currently working away on a lot of conversions and stuff for the army, havent got around to painting yet but will have pictures for you soon.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×