The Painting Contract - December 2017

Mohojoe

Halfway through the month, how is everybody doing? Going back and forth on what I want to paint but so far great start for me. Last details on the lord of slaanesh, bulls close to finished and yesterday green stuffed a whip on my chariot. And based around 30 models! Quick and dirty pic of  The work table yesterday. 

4A0C157A-DF00-45CC-ABC6-335E8F314BDD.jpeg.10213a687635b22216d1ba80d1e4fac8.jpeg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Halfway through the month, how is everybody doing?

I'm on track to meet my pledge of NOTHING this month (I instead played tons of games - 6 so far this month).

That said, I will probably end up painting some spider riders. 

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

I'm on track to meet my pledge of NOTHING this month (I instead played tons of games - 6 so far this month).

That said, I will probably end up painting some spider riders. 

six games is maybe my quarterly so well done ;)  

On 4-12-2017 at 4:59 PM, Kramer said:

- Slaanesh Lord on daemonic Mount
- A warband 

Stretch:
- 3 ogors
- second warband
- finish the Chariot

I done did finish a stretch goal before anything else ? (re) basing the whole army will be a January goal  8B8D715C-AA07-49FE-998C-B2898AACF878.jpeg.3d453aaec778390566baf51d7d5a35c1.jpeg

On 29/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, Charles said:

I pledge to paint 5 Wrathmongers, 2 Blood Warriors & a Korgorath.

Stretch: Paint a 6x4 Shattered Dominion Battle Board 

I’ve finished my pledge for this month! 

As I can’t start the board until I go home for Christmas. I’ve given myself an additional stretch to complete a Skull Cannon as well. 

F6A4769E-918B-49CC-AB0D-309A8FEFF7AA.jpeg

15C5DEB8-F106-4D54-BEF1-B1DDAD7D3D63.jpeg

CD651CD9-795E-4872-84AB-466A3FF0B488.jpeg

809EF2A5-39EB-45B6-AD8A-A88E70E19170.jpeg

Almost finished with the blood warriors, just have to varnish and base them but should get a pic up in the next few days. 

In the meantime thought I’d post a pic of my Khorgorath who I’d uploaded previously but now I’ve finished basing it using the Citadel Skulls box I got recently. Feel like I could have still added more skulls though....

595B840D-50DE-4105-A10D-4F28276E6C18.jpeg

Can’t quite believe I’ve managed this but I finished my bonus stretch goal as well!

One Skull Cannon completed ?? 

Also the biggest model I have ever painted. I can’t believe how much easier it is than painting a simple 10 Blood Reavers! 

Also started 10 more Reavers and my second Exalted Death Bringer.

FB52C450-064E-4DA2-8B98-293A4A05BA30.jpeg

BDFDA0BA-3756-4EAA-B7DC-0C0925EB4C15.jpeg

E2C8E229-FB0C-4450-BE11-785FA1D428E5.jpeg

On 11/29/2017 at 1:17 AM, Swooper said:

I have just returned from abroad with over 1200p of Beastmen, the start of my first proper army since I fell out of the hobby around 2003. Consequently, December will be dedicated to building, some light converting and figuring out a painting and basing scheme.

Main goals:

• First things first though: Finish painting the Gaunt Summoner + familiars from my November pledge. Not much left - just some highlights, detail work, OSL and smoothing out some blends really.
  • Build about 12-14 ungors (I have 20, but I'm going to save some of them for a future conversion project)
  • Make colour tests on 2-4 ungors and decide final colour scheme for the army
  • Decide on basing scheme and source materials for it (dependant on the colour scheme obviously).
  • Build 20 gors
  • Build 10 bestigors
  • Build great bray shaman
  • Build beastlord (the Avatars of War one)
  • Convert ungor shaman

Stretch goals

• Build ghorgon
  • Build 1 bullgor (the standard bearer and musician will be converted, and I'll need some parts I don't have yet for them)

I'll set up an army/painting log soon.

Finished the last gors in my pledge last night (I'll spare you the pictures of grey plastic), apart from some minor gapfilling. I've also based them all, and should have everything primed soon. Rather than assembling the big beasties, however, I'll start painting some gors over the holidays!

Unfortunately I forgot to reply to this topic before I left on my xmas vacation, and as a result there are no pictures this time.

But I managed to finish my pledge this month! Admittedly the bar was set rather low, but finally I managed to finish a pledge. So I finished that 5 man unit of Judicators (that was my pledge) and I also managed to start on a 3 man unit of Prosecutors and only need to do layering, highlighting and basing to finish those.

Somehow I found a lot more hobby time than I expected as I also managed to build a Lord Castellant, a Lord Aquilor, 5 Vanguard Hunters, 6 Gryph Hounds, 3 Vanguard Palladors, 3 Vanguard Raptors, 3 Aetherwings and 2 Fulminators. So all in all a massive improvement on expectations this month :)

Now the downside is that I won't be able to do anything else until late January, so I'll probably skip the January pledge as a result.

Update on my original stretch plan to complete the Shattered Dominion Battle board with my Dad. 

We have really broken the back of the task today, I will start a new topic to chart our progress and show you all the finished results. But we started at 9am today and have only just stopped at 23.50 O.o

I’m confident we will be finished before the 28th deadline, but I hope we can get their before our self imposed deadline of 17.00 tomorrow. 

Ps. We have also done a Balewind Vortex, and the trees for two Wildwoods  today. Shattered!!

So i'm frantically assembling models for a battle tomorrow (unpainted, I feel dirty). I have a noob question: do metal models use the same prime spray and process of glueing and painting as plastic models? I messed up when using finecast last time so don't want to make mistakes again. 

I'm gluing the moonclan shaman model together, so may as well prime it too, just unsure what glue and primer to use. 

I usually use grey or black primer and plastic glue, but I assume superglue is needed for metal, and primer is the same? 

7 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

So i'm frantically assembling models for a battle tomorrow (unpainted, I feel dirty). I have a noob question: do metal models use the same prime spray and process of glueing and painting as plastic models? I messed up when using finecast last time so don't want to make mistakes again. 

I'm gluing the moonclan shaman model together, so may as well prime it too, just unsure what glue and primer to use. 

I usually use grey or black primer and plastic glue, but I assume superglue is needed for metal, and primer is the same? 

Primer the same and use super glue for the metal yes. Pinning can help a lot too. You're talking about undercoat only so it's not really applicable but metal models chip like nobody's business. So they need heavy varnishing when done.

I don't miss metal!

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

Primer the same and use super glue for the metal yes. Pinning can help a lot too. You're talking about undercoat only so it's not really applicable but metal models chip like nobody's business. So they need heavy varnishing when done.

I don't miss metal!

Okay thanks for the answer, I don't like rushing like this so its appreciated. 

Yeah the shaman models look terrible, but one of them at least looks decent enough (at least whilst I wait for the new one). Fortunately the fanatics box comes with a spare round base with a slot. 

Archived