'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

I plan on bringing the following too my next battle tomorrow afternoon, I had great success with ARd boyz at 1k I had 20 ardboyz hold and eventually kill 10 Wrathmongers in 3 turns.....Sad I had to drop too 10 at 2k But I want to use my damn pigs. Thoughts on list would be kind.

Gordrakk's Fist

Heros
Gordrakk-700
Megaboss-140
Warchanter-80
Shaman-120
Total:700

Battle line Units

10-Ard Boyz 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Gore Gruntas 180
5-Gore Gruntas 180
Total:900

Other Units/Formations

Ironfist 60
Total:60

Army Total:2000

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys. I went and picked up the generals book, a how to paint guide and a megaboss and a shaman. Didn't have any brutes in stock sadly but I figure I'll get the start collecting bundle and two boxes of brutes, (will have to leave the shaman for 1k points but good to have for variety I guess?)

1 hour ago, Riavan said:

Cheers guys. I went and picked up the generals book, a how to paint guide and a megaboss and a shaman. Didn't have any brutes in stock sadly but I figure I'll get the start collecting bundle and two boxes of brutes, (will have to leave the shaman for 1k points but good to have for variety I guess?)

Been having a lot of success with Megaboss, Warchanter 10 brutes, 10 ardboys and 3 gruntas in the ironfist. Round 1000 points so good for a quick 1 hour game. 

Picked these up because I wanted one of everything to see how it performs. Good luck with your new army!

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:22 AM, Sangfroid said:

you can get any combo of 4 units picks in a Ironfist plus a megaboss and warchanter for exactly 1000pt 

Yeh I think variations on this will be the most common 1,000 point list. Also for new players its nice as it gives you (potentially) a bit of everything and a very solid base to expand up to 2,000 points. I do like some of the other lists post in here though too. This one from @Dotification stood out. I'm particularly liking the addition of the Black Orc Big Boss;

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:34 AM, Dotification said:

Here's my provisional 1K I-J roster;

MegaBoss (Battle Brew) - 140

WarChanter - 80

x5 Brutes - 180

WarChanter - 80

x5 Brutes - 180

x10 'ArdBoyz - 180

Iron Fist - 60

(Gen.) Black Orc Big Boss (Talisman of Prot.) - 100

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, Malicth said:

So I have been playing my Ironjawz since I bought and built them at their release. Haven't lost a single game

That's very impressive! What sort of opposition/lists/battleplans have you been playing?

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, Dez said:

I'm liking some of the lists here! Some thoughts I have are that Warchanters are gold with Brutes, take multiples. Ironfist formation, Ravager and the Destro Alkegiance trait are awesome and necessities. In regards, I think this could be used really nicely to get Gore-Gruntaz into position to threaten a key enemy hero.

Megaboss with Battle Brew is going to punch everyone's face right off if their face. Unless you roll 1's like I do :)

Yup, I'm predicting a shift from Weirdnobs to double (potentially triple) Warchanters going forward. I'm consistently underwhelmed by the Shaman and the mortal wounds he dishes out on your own boyz is frequent and annoying!

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, Sangfroid said:

The gem is suspect is there if you have multiple formations and items. The battle brew is multiple uses and you only take the hit if you take 2 swigs in one go :-)

Yes, but note that once you take 2 swigs, you'll continue to take the mortal wound in successive rounds even if you drop back down to 1 swig.

Loving that the chat is still going strong here!!

33 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Hard the bbob isn't actually ironjawz, therefore can't use him in competitive play with battle line ironjawz units. This true?

Not true.

His scroll has been updated with the keyword "Ironjawz". Completely legal choice. The only possible restriction would be if an event disallowed the use of compendium warscrolls.

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

That's very impressive! What sort of opposition/lists/battleplans have you been playing?

My opponents list vary usually but the armies I go against are usually Bloodbound, Khorne Daemons, Nurgle Daemons, Stormcast Eternal, Skaven, and a mix of Everchosen and Warriors of Chaos. I did finally just get to fight against Seraphon and won very quickly. Though my dice rolls were stupidly good and his were ice cold. There is also a Free Peoples player and a general Death player at my store that I sadly haven't had the chance to play against though. They seem to be a lot of fun. I'd love to fight some Sylvaneth as well but nobody here has them. Though with the increased interest at my store, I hope that changes.

The battle plans are random usually. We were doing ones out of the Battletomes and Realmgate books and now we are using the handbook to try it out. Though honestly it seems that Ironjawz care more for killing than doing the objectives. Sometimes I forego the objectives and wipe my opponent off the field... and sadly it works.

I find that the fact that I can move my forces very quickly and get into melee on turn 1 usually being the deciding factor. If i get up in my opponents face I can easily kill units and that weakens them greatly. Though, as I'm sure you know, picking targets and who to go with first is key.

6 minutes ago, Poddy said:

How to people line up against Stormcast + their nasty combos and mortal wounds?

For me I mob them with my brutes in melee. I run 10 guys in a unit and i usually see them running 5 in one. attack first and weaken them before they attack back. with brutes being 3 wounds a guy even if they get 1 or 2 mortal wounds not not a dead brute. if they do manage to kill a brute or two then hopefully the battleshock roll isn't high as i personally would use the waagh command ability over inspiring presence. +1 attack on weapons is great and when there is a warchanter to give +1 to hit and a megaboss nearby to re-roll 1s, well lets just say things die quickly due to 41-52 attacks from one 10 man unit.

24 minutes ago, Poddy said:

What if they get the charge on you? Isn't brutes low bravery an issue when running a big unit?

Yeah, its a real problem for Brutes. I'm very surprised to hear @Malicth isn't using Inspiring Presence on them either. Though isn't the Megaboss' Waaaagh a one use command ability?

Stormcast on paper look to be a very tough match up for Ironjawz, assuming they are bringing a strong list anyway.

Still, sounds like he's doing well with the army for sure, which is great.

Oh, I'm just thinking out loud while waiting for the SC: IronJawz set to release ( I dig that turquoise & fuchsia paint scheme in the preview!), while trying to avoid buying stuff I won't really use.  I am/was a big fan of Legacy Black Orcs & their BigMob, & was initially underwhelmed by 'Ardboyz due to losses in accuracy & movement.  I was also disappointed that the BOBB was discontinued for being Finecast, & that there's no generic version of Grimgor to buff up a unit of "Ardboyz Immortulz."  

It would be nice if Black Orcs still had a warscroll in the app.'s Orcs & Goblins' Legacy faction too!

It's too bad Ruglud's Armoured Orcs weren't re-typed as IRONJAWZ, they would fit in to some extent with their 4+ Saves, their pewter models are nice, but shooting only 12" is pretty rough, & it's hard to keep them still in order to shoot twice when you have to be soo damn close to (hence why most people arm their Judicators with bows.)  Also they're over-costed at, I believe, 140 points??  You'd think they were ForgeWorld models at that pricing, though hot damn, I was surprised to see Fimir Warriors even cheaper than their SCGT cost, they must want to sell them & the Dread Saurians, kek . . .

Oh, also . . . has anyone tried screening 2" JGH Brutes with 'Ardboyz, due to their superior Bravery/command elements??  I suppose they have 1/3 less Wounds, & the their shields seem crummy compared to just getting 3+ Saves instead, or ignoring Rend, or what-have-you.  I'm trying to find a role for them in this faction other than just being bodies to capture objectives, since everyone seems to dig the Brutes' killing power while lamenting their lack of command elements improving their charges & middling Bravery.

Say, if only 1 'Ardboy has a shield, how do you roll for his it for example if there's more than 2 potential wounds??  The couple times I used Ruglud's crew I had the same with issue w/ the lucky Maggot/idol-bearer's 4++ extra save . . .

You'd roll them one at a time until the shield bearer dies I'd assume. 

I've been mulling over the Ardby screen since day 1, it just seems the proppa thing to do :) Meanwhile I've decked all mine out with 2H Weapons, but I think I'm going to get a couple of the Start Collecting boxes and arm all of them with Shields. Brute Buffer Zone! I also just bought another box of Brutes to give the Jagged Gore-hacka to.

8 minutes ago, Dez said:

@Chris Tomlin it's every turn, which makes it pretty darn powerful...and hard to choose between it and Inspiring Presence. Though I suppose having only having a unit or two within range makes it easy :)

Yes indeed. I've made good use of it on occasion but really the Inspiring Presence is too important on a unit of 10 Brutes IMO.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

You'd roll them one at a time until the shield bearer dies I'd assume. 

It seems clunky but this is the best way I've found to handle it too.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

I've been mulling over the Ardby screen since day 1, it just seems the proppa thing to do :) Meanwhile I've decked all mine out with 2H Weapons, but I think I'm going to get a couple of the Start Collecting boxes and arm all of them with Shields. Brute Buffer Zone! I also just bought another box of Brutes to give the Jagged Gore-hacka to.

I will end up with 3 units of 10, so I suspect I'll do one unit of each option just for variety.

I'm liking the idea of units of 10 with shields forming up in front of Jagged Gore-hacka armed Brutes. Usually I only run these in units of 10, but when combining with the Ardboyz for the screen to attack over, 5's could be efficient.

Yeah, that's why I like the BOBB in smaller games with multiple Brute units filling out an Iron Fist, considering how flakey the Megaboss' Cmd. Ability is if you don't have 5-6 other units w/in 15".  But at least the WarChanter is a cheap/cheap way to fill our your numbers, compared to a Weirdnob Shaman hurting your boyz as much as the enemies, while trying to cast in the 8-10 range.

& yeah, just try to get the Brute Boss on an edge so he can hopefully pinch 'em & then auto-hit with his 1" Rend -2 D3 Smasha.

Thanks @Dez. My store plays model to model, so I think I will be fine with a smaller base for now. Will get a bigger base ASAP so I have another for when we inevitably move to Base2Base. Got a guy at the store with a treelord ancient who can add around 5 inches to a charge depending on where he measures from lol. 

Archived