'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Good work @N_Watson!

Got any reports or thoughts on your games and the lists used?

Just been small 1000 point games. 

I am using the following...

10 X Ardboys

10 x Brutes (1 X Boss-Claw + Brute Smasha, 4 x Two Brute Choppas, 2 x Gore-choppa  and 3 x  Jagged Gore-hacka)** someone just pointed out the fact that I can't mix Two Brute Choppas with Jagged Gore Hackas in one unit. Oops lol. 

3 Gore-gruntas

Ironfist with brute boss as the big boss

Warchanter

Megaboss with Ravage and the potion item thing

If it wasn't for the sheer power of the 10 man brute unit with immune to battle shock, +1 to hit from warchanter and re-rolling 1's from the megaboss, I would be lost in all the games. 

First game vs a Fyreslayer force which was my first game of AOS. Was just a pitched battle to the death with no objectives so that I could get to grips with the rules. Had a warchanter and two brutes left at the end. Kept hearing how the gore gruntas were tanky so thought, lets charge that Magmadroth and Grimwrath beserker over there to hold them in place. They got wiped off the board after failing their ambitious 8 inch charge. 

Next played vs a Blood bound army. Very close game with a narrow defeat. At this point I was finding a better way to use the gore gruntas. I drew a unit of his to one side of the map to contest an objective then made a massive move to outnumber the main fight in my favour. He rolled out the box though and I forgot to inspire the brutes and lost 2 in combat vs blood warriors and two to his lord of Khorne another 4 fled in battleshock turn one. 

Next we played a 3v3 game of 3000 points vs 3000 points. I was teamed with 2 blood bound armies vs Sylvaneth, Stormcast and Freeguild. With some really poor run rolls from one of the order players, the game was a 3v2 in our favour for the first 3 turns and we won this.  We had 3 objectives with each one held uncontested giving one point per turn. It was an even match until I sent my Ardboys through a realmgate to contest their held point and we killed off the treeman ancient holding the centre objective giving us 2 points to 0 that round. 

Then I got revenge against the Blood bound player yesterday in another quick 1000 point game. We played the week two campaign battle plan and my Megaboss just proved that he was a beast. By turn 3 he was rolling 9 hits with his Axe and still had 7 wounds.   

Hoping to play the Sylvaneth this weekend or next week and then play against the Fyreslayers and Nurgle as well. I am just sticking to 1000 or 1500 point games at the moment to try and get as many games in as I can during the 4 week campaign. Being the only destruction player, just trying to paint as many warscrolls as I can and win as many games to get points. Finding that with buffing the 10 man brute unit, there isn't much that can deal with it at 1000 or 1500 points. Just need to remember to inspire them as the braver 6 thing is kinda bad. 

My list for 1500 points is the same as 1000, but swapping the Megaboss for MB on Mawcusher and putting in a Wierdnob Shaman. 

I understand that the above are not "Competative" at all and that myself and most of the people at my GW are all new to AOS, but I haven't found Ironjaws useless at all. They definitely struggle to have "Scoring units" with the battleplans requiring 5 models to hold an objective, but if you kill all their stuff, they can't hold anything either...

Ultimately, I have had a HUGE amount of fun in every game and haven't felt that I had no chance to win. All I was hoping for. 

Just trying to get in as many games as I can with my small force to get familiar with the game and slowly build up to more points so I can understand what I miss, but I haven't thought I was at a disadvantage yet for just picking Ironjaws which is all I care about. Really hoping to see either a video battle report or a detailed one with photographs to make sure I am arranging my force right and maximising my charges. 

Need hints and tips from all the experienced players to keep my winning streak alive :) 

** someone just pointed out the fact that I can't mix Two Brute Choppas with Jagged Gore Hackas in one unit. Oops lol. 

If you can get your hands on a Black Orc Big Boss, either the Finecast model, or by kitbashing from the Orc Warboss mini-box/wherever, (keep in mind it's a Legacy warscroll in the Orcs & Goblins faction)--here's the trick though, according to the new FAQ, his legacy IRONJAWZ keyword is the same as the new faction's, so you can use him (or Grimgor, I suppose) without breaking your Ironjawz Allegiance.  

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/Warhammer_aos_generals_handbook_en.pdf

What makes the Black Orc Big Boss handy is his Command Ability "Keepin' Order," e.g. keeping 2+ nearby units of Brutes in line; until your next hero phase, when any IRONJAWZ unit within 5" fails a BattleShock test, they suffer 1 Mortal Wound, but then are considered to have passed the test.  So in a way he's a cheap (100) Commissar-General for your boyz!

1 hour ago, Dotification said:

If you can get your hands on a Black Orc Big Boss, either the Finecast model, or by kitbashing from the Orc Warboss mini-box/wherever, (keep in mind it's a Legacy warscroll in the Orcs & Goblins faction)--here's the trick though, according to the new FAQ, his legacy IRONJAWZ keyword is the same as the new faction's, so you can use him (or Grimgor, I suppose) without breaking your Ironjawz Allegiance.  

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/Warhammer_aos_generals_handbook_en.pdf

What makes the Black Orc Big Boss handy is his Command Ability "Keepin' Order," e.g. keeping 2+ nearby units of Brutes in line; until your next hero phase, when any IRONJAWZ unit within 5" fails a BattleShock test, they suffer 1 Mortal Wound, but then are considered to have passed the test.  So in a way he's a cheap (100) Commissar-General for your boyz!

Wow, good shout @Dotification - I'll have to have a look into that myself.

@N_Watson - I'll have a proper read over your post and reply when I can. Looks good though!!

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

I see they have nerfed the Death Allegiance Ability - just what we needed. Now it's only the models near your general which get the 5+ ward. That's crushing.

Hhhm...that ability is pretty OP in practice, so I dunno that it's "crushing" per se.

Does this also mean that the +2 bonus for Ravager only applies to the General and the units within 8" of him?

Regardless of anyone's opinion on the impact of this, it just seems a strange thing to errata...

Yes - same thing applies to the Destruction Ravager Command Trait.

Well having the best Alliance Trait made up for the fact that Death were the most dependent on summoning and spell casting of all the GAs (which were both hard nerfed); and Righteous Smiting was also hard nerfed. I suppose it's still a powerful command trait, but it's unfortunate having to either take a generic general (and forego bringing one of the named characters which are Death's biggest asset) or take a generic general and a named character (but not use the latter's command ability) .

Death haven't had a new model other than the Crypt Flayer and the Mourngul since launch, so they could do with some love. I gather that they are the least popular GA, so perhaps unsurprising.

1 minute ago, Nico said:

Yes - same thing applies to the Destruction Ravager Command Trait.

Yeh just had another read, defo does. Not the end of the world tbh, but a little annoying. However, I think Ravager still keeps top spot. amongst the Destruction command traits.

Death have taken some hits granted, but seriously, that battlefield wide 5+ was horrendous!! They are due some love undoubtedly though.

Yeah - the extra 2 is a big deal.

Death have taken some hits granted, but seriously, that battlefield wide 5+ was horrendous!! They are due some love undoubtedly though.

I was building lists around using the Ghoul Patrol to effecively dump 50 Plaguebearers in the enemy's back line to be irritating. The Crypt Ghast could have had the immortality ring for lols.

2 hours ago, Dez said:

OI YOU LOT! Dis ain't competa....crumputa...best fightin' Bone Boyz, only proppa Gitz in 'ere! Back to da bone yardz!!!

*waves Choppa menacingly*

FAQ out in the UK already?

Well said warboss dez no sympathy here for filthy deff. 

Spaking of ravagers trait still works for us because it lets the warboss keep up a bit especially if using a ironfist. Though I'm favouring the bellowing tyrant trait 

you can get any combo of 4 units picks in a Ironfist plus a megaboss and warchanter for exactly 1000pt

so for example 

megaboss (ravaged trait and battle brew) 140

warchanter (talisman of protection) 80

10 ardboyz 180

10 brutes 180

3 gore grunters 180

inronfist 60

=1000

like has been said earlier in the thread you can supplant any of the 3 unit picks depending on you preference 

Here's my provisional 1K I-J roster;

MegaBoss (Battle Brew) - 140

WarChanter - 80

x5 Brutes - 180

WarChanter - 80

x5 Brutes - 180

x10 'ArdBoyz - 180

Iron Fist - 60

(Gen.) Black Orc Big Boss (Talisman of Prot.) - 100

I stick the BOBB in the middle with the Megaboss, a unit of Brutes to either side with Jagged Gore-Hackas w/ their WarChanters nearby, & then screen most of them with 'ArdBoyz, trying to get the Brute Bosses in on the corners w/ their 1" Boss Klaws & Smashas.  The Brutes & the 'Bosses hit on 2's & wound on 3's, while the 'ArdBoyz can hopefully roll a few 6+'s for shield saves w/ their dumb 4+'s to hit flailing about--though in a friendly I might ask if the BOBB can give them +1 to hit, like he did for the superior Black Orcs back in the day.

I've tried writing lists with a MegaBoss on Maw-Krusha, but had trouble fitting in the Iron Fist battalion so far . . .

So I have been playing my Ironjawz since I bought and built them at their release. Haven't lost a single game besides to skaven and that was when there wasn't the handbook. I run simple lists as that seems to be the best for them. Generally I stick to 1000 points but i have played my share of 2000 and 2500.

1000:

Megaboss 140

Warchanter 80

x5 Brutes w/ 4 gore-hackas, 1 gore-choppa, 1 smasha and klaw 180

x5 Brutes w/ 4 gore-hackas, 1 gore-choppa, 1 smasha and klaw 180

x10 brutes w/ 7 gore-hackas, 2 gore-choppas, 1 smasha and klaw 360

Ironfist 60

I generally keep all my guys together so they get the benefit from the mega-boss and always let my opponent go first if I can help it. I do that so that I can try to get the double turn and avoid them from getting it even if I don't and I also do it so that they get closer to me usually. By the time it is my turn I can usually get a turn 1 charge in and start destroying some of their forces piece by piece. what helps in this case as well is getting the waagh command trait off. With all of my brutes having 2" range weapons besides the boss they all generally get to attack with +1 attack and one of them gets +1 to hit with all of them re-rolling 1's to hit. Stuff usually dies very quickly. Especially if they are fighting heroes or monsters due to them typically having 4 or more wounds on their wound profiles. Killing the enemy piece by piece weakens them greatly over time and with my forces together they usually kill whatever they need to first. With the extra movement from the Ironfist and Allegiance trait I can move where I need to and get into combat when I need to.

I do know that the 5 man squads of brutes would be better with choppas but I gave them hackas due to them being in a 10 man squad in bigger games.

I'm liking some of the lists here! Some thoughts I have are that Warchanters are gold with Brutes, take multiples. Ironfist formation, Ravager and the Destro Alkegiance trait are awesome and necessities. In regards, I think this could be used really nicely to get Gore-Gruntaz into position to threaten a key enemy hero.

Megaboss with Battle Brew is going to punch everyone's face right off if their face. Unless you roll 1's like I do :)

Is battle brew a one use item? I say that because it's worded differently than the gem (in your hero phase vs in any of your hero phases). If it's not a one time use, why would you ever take gem over brew since brew confers a +1/+1 or +2/+2, and the gem only confers a +1/+0.

Do you suffer the negative effects of the brew if you take the second swig on any of your following turns (instead if the obvious mechanic of having negative effects for drinking it twice in one turn), or does the "drink" trigger reset between turns?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I tend to run the following:

Maw-Crusha 520

Megaboss 140

Weirdnob 120

Warchanter 80

Gore-Gruntas x6 360

Brutes x5 180

Brutes x5 180

Ard Boys x10 180

Ard Boys x10 180

Ironfist 60

2000pts

40 minutes ago, Riavan said:

So like. Is it worth buying the ironjawz tome. Or just the generals book and getting the formations/battlions I'm the app?

If you're already using the app - buy the formations in the app. You can buy just the ones you need rather than 'the whole book' and save a lot of cash.

Saves you space too, not lugging around another book, but they do look good on the shelf!

Archived