Steve Rose

Steve's O&G

43 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. I normally post my pics on Twitter under @stephenrose but I thought I would post here too blog style.

i am very slow and due to my job and family life I don't have that much time for painting. 

My aim is to attend blood and glory with a fully painted army. I have not finished any army since 2014 when my youngest was born.

O&G was my first warhammer army back in 4th edition. I have played them since. The iron jawz release I have been inspired and bought at least one of everything. 

Many way pics! Construction of first batch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have used grey Halfords primer to undercoat these as I think it gives a nice mid toned undercoat and is super smooth. I chose to do a more natural skin tone on my boyz. So death world forest was my base coat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took a while to work on the skin on the boyz.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 people like this

I chose red for the armour as its my favourite color. No other reason!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Some added patterns to the armour.

image.jpeg

5 people like this

Absolutely gorgeous skin tones on those brutes. I've not tried grey as a base coat for a very long time... I may have to give it a go when my boxes turn up tomorrow

The Brutes look great so far, I'm also one for a more 'organic' green skin tone. I also try to make it darker the higher up da Krump chain they are :)

Eurgh, I'm green with envy. Terrible puns aside, I wish you'd posted a few weeks ago, makes me feel ive done it wrong using waaagh green through to skarsnik now!

You're making great progress, this army is going to look super cool, keep up the good work!

Love the skin tone!  I like the more muted natural tones opposed to the very bright tones.  The striations on the muscle is also very cool, subtle and adds a ton of depth.  Well done.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:58 AM, Soulsmith said:

Eurgh, I'm green with envy. Terrible puns aside, I wish you'd posted a few weeks ago, makes me feel ive done it wrong using waaagh green through to skarsnik now!

Add some with other types of skin! I have like 7 combinations of greens for the skin. :)

As for the orcs @Steve Rose , they look fantastic!

16 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:
Add some with other types of skin! I have like 7 combinations of greens for the skin.

As for the orcs @Steve Rose , they look fantastic!

I'll have to give it a go I guess. I'll need more greens for the more natural one. A mix would be good though I'm sure. I do love the green blending into a reddy colour, I was planning to do the same for my grots.

Also, @Steve Rose, would you mind giving the recipe for your skin? I think I'll give it a go on my own and see how I feel, between yellowey natural, or orcish traditional.

Edited by Soulsmith

I agree, I think some variation in the flesh tone is good!

Hi guys. 

Sorry for late replies. Been away from home, so not a lot of hobby done last few days.

Skin.

basecoat death world forest.

wash Agrax earth shade mixed with medium.

highlight with death world forest.

add in 3x highlights by adding in Elysian green.

add in 3x more highlights adding in small parts of Zamesdi desert.

add wazdakka red to paint lips, ears, knuckles etc. add in a tiny amount of Chadian flesh tone to highlight these areas.

finally mix red shade with purple shade with medium and gradually glaze these areas.

hope this helps. Should be back painting this week.

1 person likes this

Hi guys. Sorry for the long time without posting. Been crazy at home at the moment. Finally got to do some painting yesterday. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Always great to see updates your work is fantastic. Do you chip using a sponge?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Really great painting! I've only ever painted a hand full of Orc's myself, but your work is tempting me to pick up a box of brutes myself! Keen to see more updates!

I really like your Orruks. The skin looks really alive and vibrant. Keep it UP!

Edited by Nixon
Spelling

Hey guys sorry for the delay on this blog, again real life has got in the way. I have been plugging away with da boyz.

painted some of my mega boss Gorfang Groggutz

image.jpeg

3 people like this

Amazing plog. The headswap on the Megaboss is great - he looks so wizened and grouchy.

Even though I currently have everything painted quite bright, I am going to have to try your skin recipe I think to compare them in person, it looks ace.