The Denizens of Hell Pit

Ahriman

Hey there guys,

With 2018 just around the corner, a new AoS storyline about to begin with Malign Portents and hopefully some sweet Campaign Weekends being run at Warhammer World I thought I would begin a new project that I've been thinking about for a while - a Clan Moulder army.

I have a good sized Skaven army from the World that was that needs to be updated for Age of Sigmar but I thought I would focus on a single clan for my new army, one I had never touched before.

The main thing I want from this new army is to make it look like a horrifying mass of flesh and fur when arrayed on the table, and to me the current Rat Ogre models just don't fit that vibe - so as my first unit I have begun converting the Stormfiend models into normal Rat Ogres with, I hope, some success!

Let me know what you thing and I'll hopefully be back with some more soon!

20171123_132536.jpg

20171123_134837.jpg

20171123_162406.jpg

20171123_204215.jpg

20171123_204223.jpg

20171123_204248.jpg

• Like 8

It's such a unique take on an old idea and one that has been a core of the Skaven for years, it really is awesome.

And cheers very much!

Small update, I've converted up a general for my army: Throt the Unclean, as he is thousands of years after the end of the world that was, still tinkering with his toys. He's still got his three arms but has grown more of a hump and bony protrusions.

20171124_223515.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Fantastic conversions, really liked your take on the Rat Ogres!

And the Throt conversion is brilliant in it’s simplicity! Well done!!!!!

Quick idea: have you looked into bits of the 40k Dark Eldar range? The Thalos Pain Engine and Wracks would be a fantastic source of bits for you, full of vials, tiny scalpel arms, etc...

looking forward to see more!

AJ

• 4 weeks later...

No major updates for the Denizens of Hell Pit until the New Year but I couldn't help myself getting a pre-christmas gift.

My plan is to make some more characterful  packmasters to lead the hordes starting off with this Skaven Warlord modification.

I've also finished off my 2,000pts list:

Packmaster Throt and 4 other Packmasters

2 x 40 Giant Rats and one unit of 30

2 x 4 Rat Ogres

3 Stormfiends

And a Hell Pit Abomination.

Lots to be getting on with!

20171223_164837.jpg

• Like 6

These are all great, especcially the last one! Im starting to organise a kind of AoS Pilgrym, so converted warbands with about five or six models and a whole load of backstory eventually fighting it out in a multiplayer narrative battle. The Skaven would be great as the base for a warband, and it leaves room for all sorts of game ideas: Throt searching for a vital piece of Genecrafting equipment etc 

Keep up the good work!:D

Cheers for the comments guys!

S133arcanite skaven would be perfect for that kind of thing! 6 distinct factions now in AoS and so many offshoots with Verminus alone.

Snoe for my 3k list I've got 2 HPAs and I'm thinking that I really don't want them to be in the same pose. So the first one will likely be straight out of the box but I'll try and do something with the second, but I currently don't even know where to begin!

And no, I won't  be cutting up any of the 110 giant rats! Though I would like some of the classic metal ones as they were really mutated and look great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Kronos, more of them to come soon!

Updates! Its the new year, as I'm sure you all noticed, and that means the new year project can begin in earnest!

First up are some Stormfiends converted to all be armed with ratling cannons, giving my army some much needed range.

Then I have my Hell Pit Abomination. Straight out of the box this one, but while building I tried to think of different ways to convert a second one. Basically, its going to be difficult! 

And finally two more packmasters for the army, one the standard Squeek Gnawtooth model, the other Warlord Spinetail who will be receiving a whip at some point.

I'm looking to get my first Packmaster, 10 Giant Rats, 2 Rat Ogres and the Abomination done for the Malign Portents painting event, so there should be updates for that soon!

20171224_145605.jpg

20171228_202249.jpg

20180104_191514.jpg

20171230_180039.jpg

• Like 1

Well wait no longer @The Traitor! In an effort to get a good start on my Malign Portents collection I've spent the last two days doing a test model for each of my Packmasters and my Rat Ogres.

It also gave me a chance to try my basing as well.

They're not 100% finished but are most of the way there, so let me know what you think!

20180109_163407.jpg

20180109_151530.jpg

20180108_161632.jpg

• Like 5

They look good, but the packmaster is a bit drab. I think a splash of colour would do wonders for that model, my immediate thought is either a medium green (Warpstone Glow or Castellan Green perhaps) or a dark pink (Screamer Pink) though other colours would surely work.

• Like 1

I like a lot that flesh tone, excellent work! I actually like a lot that plainer colour scheme, it isn't as striking as others but looks more realistic and gives you the option to give contrast colours only to characters to make them pop out more. Also I think painting the eyes will make the models look even better, I would recommend plain black, but if you want them to give them more colour (which, as mentioned above, I think you should avoid in most models), red with a OSL would also look amazing.

Cheers for your comments guys!

I've been thinking about your feedback all day @Swooper and I think you're definitely right.

I want the army to be pale, drab and dirty but there still needs to be a spot colour, and for these guys its likely to be read to match the artwork below.

I'd already done the same on the back where there's a scrap of cloth, and really like it, but struggling to think of where to place the colour on the front.

The eyes were done red after the pic was taken, but that's not enough. I was going to solve it by doing freehand like in the image below but decided it was far too neat to be skaven like.

So I'm slightly at a loss annoyingly. I may do some red scratch markings on his cloth or sculpt a rag onto his tail to do red, but open to suggestions.

TL/DR it needs to have some red spot colour, but where?

received_10214567085753930.jpeg

20180109_182630.jpg

• Like 1

The dark red is a good choice, looks much more interesting from the back now. As for other areas to paint red... you could go for one or more of the armour pieces - helmet, pauldrons, girdle and braces are all valid choices, and then do chipping effects with a sponge to make it look worn and poorly maintained. I'm generally not a big fan of painted armour in fantasy settings, but I can't see many other options for spot colour on this guy, not without doing some freehanding at least.

Cheers for the suggestions matey. In most circumstances I'd 100% agree with you and think a red helm would be the solution.

Unfortunately one of the things I was trying to achieve with the Clans Moulder scheme (cream with red) was to make sure it could never be mistaken for Clan Mors. I think I'm just going to have to accept his lack of spot colour and use it as a learning point for the rest.

I have made some progress towards the Malign Portents painting entry. 10 Giant Rats have been painted and based and my second Rat Ogre is in his final greenstuffing stages.

I have also added the whips to both the previous Packmaster and a second as well as getting a better shot of the first Rat Ogre.

20180115_182932.jpg

20180112_184655.jpg

20180115_194307.jpg

20180115_193034.jpg

20180115_182919.jpg

20180115_182952.jpg

20180115_182945.jpg

• Like 6

A quick WIP shot of my Hell Pit Abomination. Really struggling getting a skin tone I like while making it nothing like the Rat Ogres! 

I think this pale tone has potential, just need to take it up to Pallid Wych Flesh then do loads of bruising and raw skin.

20180118_093730.jpg

• Like 6

Cheers Aereides! Yeah I have thought about blood splatter for him, we shall see.

Bit of a larger update today. After trying out 3 different flesh tones on my Hell Pit Abomination I finally settled on one, started painting, and then switched to a fourth scheme!

This one much fleshier in colour with more emphasis on Bugman's Glow.

Not long left now until Feb 10th and the first Malign Portents painting event so I need to get this chap and my second Rat Ogre done!

20180125_185505.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update with some subpar photos today!

I finally finished greestuffing my second Rat Ogre last week ready for painting. 

Which is then how I spent most of yesterday. Still some more left to do, like the cloth, bandages, adding some more depth to the skin and then some details, but he's getting there.

20180122_181831.jpg

20180206_114444.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't quite get my army done in time for the Malign Portents painting event, but I was so close and will hopefully have it all done by Thursday for the start of the campaign.

Some pics of my army all together anyhow!

20180210_103132.jpg

20180210_103139.jpg

20180210_103147.jpg

Edited by Ahriman
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1