Hurricanum base

Aezeal

Question

6 answers to this question

There's no official word on base sizes in AoS and it's generally left to the individual player or event organiser's discretion, but the hard and fast rule is that going bigger than the base the standard version of a model is supplied with is usually fine as it brings little in game advantage, while going smaller isn't - if I wanted to put my Chaos Marauders on 32mm bases instead of the default 25mm ones I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage, being able to get less Marauders in to attack, and giving my opponent the chance to crowd more models in to attack mine; however if I wanted to squeeze a unit of Liberators onto 32mm bases instead of their default 40mm ones, I'd be putting myself at a huge advantage for the opposite of the reasons I've just given.

In the case of something like a Hurricanum, that's unlikely to see much front line combat and comes with a pretty amazing aura ability it becomes a bit more of a grey area as you could be seen as modeling for advantage with to get a larger +1 to hit bubble. If it's a well executed, good looking conversion I doubt most opponents would mind (I certainly wouldn't), and in the rare cases you did rock up against someone who complained about the larger +1 to hit bubble, you could always be sporting and offer to knock an amount of inches equal to the difference in base size off the aura's maximum range.

25 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

I use the 120x92 oval base. 

I agree with what @Double Misfire said, however; I'm also concious that you need the right size for matched play tournaments. This size hasn't once caused me an issue at a tournament 

Well I know the arguments, which is why I was wondering. The beetle really only fits on the 170 mm round, but with its legs flowing over a bit I could place it on a 170 x 105 oval. A 120×92 would not fit at all... hence my dilemma. The 120 does seem a bit smallish (for a regular hurricanum) with the large astrolabium on top (the original al square is very small for aos where everything gets roomier bases,  so I'd say the bigger oval could be defended though the 170 round might be pushing it. More opinions would be welcome. I could also put the smaller oval on top of one of the bigger bases and use it as  small hill do I could measure from those edges... But that seems a bit convoluted. 

I would argue that larger bases can provide greater benefits than smaller ones. Smaller ones can let you get a couple more guys in combat, but larger bases give you more area of effect (for aura abilities and the like and even close combat), the ability to reach out and touch more things at once, and more board control. I would frown at 180 zombies on 40mm bases clogging up half the table and preventing anything else from getting near objectives.

You should try to fit it on 120x92 if possible I think that's what most chariots are on nowadays. Failing that go one size up. If you have any doubts, you should talk to your local play group and/or to.

8 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I would argue that larger bases can provide greater benefits than smaller ones. Smaller ones can let you get a couple more guys in combat, but larger bases give you more area of effect (for aura abilities and the like and even close combat), the ability to reach out and touch more things at once, and more board control. I would frown at 180 zombies on 40mm bases clogging up half the table and preventing anything else from getting near objectives.

You should try to fit it on 120x92 if possible I think that's what most chariots are on nowadays. Failing that go one size up. If you have any doubts, you should talk to your local play group and/or to.

Yeah I somewhat agree on this so I'll try to see how the idea I mentioned about getting the smaller base  on the bigger base and then covering it as a small hill so the edge will be seen and can be measured from, it'll end up a bit rougher but it'll be mm work not the 4 cm on either side the 170 round is bigger.  I'll keep the rest of the base fairly flat too so models can be put on it (if I don't get advantages of the bigger base I'm not going to take the full disadvantages either. :) ). I still think the 102x92 is fairly small for the hurricanum though.

Archived