New ironjawz player needing help!

Kimbo

Hi everyone! 

Ive played some AoS before with Stormcast and  Seraphon. But now i got my eyes on then boy'z!

when starting from 0...how would you begin your journey with the jaw's? For 1000p? And how would you later build that list to 2000p? 

Any formations you like? If you have time please explain HOW to play aswell with the army. I think i got the hang of it but all help will be much needed i think! 

I have not yet played with the new GH17. How have they changed? Are they better or worse then before? 

All information will be greatly helpful! And by the end of next week i might got some new models to start my next project! 

Cheers! 

The best place to start is with brutes then add more Brutes then some more then a Mawkrusha then bosh, bosh, bosh waaaaaagh! 

Ok silliness aside, the best place to start would be to read thru the “Competative ironjawz” & “GHB2017 Ironjawz discussions” threads these are invaluable for information in the Ironjawz

models wise you will likely want eventually if you are serious about getting your waagh on

1-2 Mawkrushas (some people’s have 3 they are mad people and I want to be them) 

1-3 Megaboss on foot

1-3 Weirdnob shamans

2-4 warchanters

ironskullz boyz (Shadespire) 

30 brutes

30-60 Ardboyz 

9-18 goregruntas 

ALLIES

2-3 Grot spear chukkas

2-4 rock lobbas

troggoth hag

maybe some other stuff you fancy

the ironjawz list of models above will pretty much give you every combo of list that you could want to realistically take the allies is up to you but you may find after some time that you want to add in some shooting, those there are “probably” the best for different reasons. 

If I was starting afresh my purchases would be as such 

3 x start collecting ironjawz

2x Weirdnob warband

mawcrusha

4 boxes of brutes

2 footboss 

depending on your budget and your initial target (1000pts or 2000pts) I’d probably start with these 

Mawkrusha, start collecting x2 Weirdnob warband x2 

this will (with an Ironfist formation) give you 1990 army of a decent Competative nature 

Mawkrusha, ironclad, meatrippa axe

weirdnob, Boss skewer

warchanter 

warchanter

30 ardboyz

5 brutes

5 brutes

3 pigs

3 pigs

ironfist batallion

(note you can split or add the brutes as you like so 5/10 or 3/6, also if you didn’t want a formation just take second Weirdnob or split the Ardboyz into 10s or a 10 & 20) 

as you play you will then start get a feel for what you like , personally I like to field Brutes & gorepigs at the moment but I need to paint up 3 more goregruntas myself to try out some new stuff. 

The above would be a great start I think and in all honesty not a bad list, ironjawz is actually one of the hardest armies to play them seem simple at the face of it but there is more emphasis on your choices, deployment etc... than on your army composition I think 

great to have a new Megaboss on board 

Waaaaaagh!

9 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Regarding allies...I like the thought of having some range firepower..is There any good options with the 400p for that? Like arrowboyz or something? 

Welcome @Kimbo, great to have another Ironjawz player on board. I am pleased to say you have come to the right place and will find plenty of information and helpful, friendly responses here :) 

@Sangfroid has you covered for initial advices there. Don't let his big list of models put you off, realistically you would not need all of those things and one of his starter suggestions are ideal....however, Kieran is right and Ironjawz tend to be pretty addictive, so without knowing it, you will end up with that large list of models haha!!

I actually believe that Element Games might be putting up a Black Friday package deal later featuring one of my Ironjawz builds. I'll link to that if they do it.

Regarding ranged firepower, I am currently using 3 Grot Spear Chukkas as allies (360pts). I'm still in the testing phase with this to be honest, however prior to this I used 2 of them to good effect.

The other option I'm looking at myself is 4 Rock Lobbers (400pts), though I'm in the process of obtaining the parts I need to convert them so I cannot vouch for whether they are any good beyond the theory.

Be sure to shout if there are any further queries you may have. Me and Kieran (@Sangfroid) will finally be recording our long delayed podcast on Ironjawz post GH2017 soon, which hopefully will be pretty definitive. I believe the delay has helped as we've been able to play more games etc.

Enjoy!
Chris

9 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Welcome @Kimbo, great to have another Ironjawz player on board. I am pleased to say you have come to the right place and will find plenty of information and helpful, friendly responses here :) 

@Sangfroid has you covered for initial advices there. Don't let his big list of models put you off, realistically you would not need all of those things and one of his starter suggestions are ideal....however, Kieran is right and Ironjawz tend to be pretty addictive, so without knowing it, you will end up with that large list of models haha!!

I actually believe that Element Games might be putting up a Black Friday package deal later featuring one of my Ironjawz builds. I'll link to that if they do it.

Regarding ranged firepower, I am currently using 3 Grot Spear Chukkas as allies (360pts). I'm still in the testing phase with this to be honest, however prior to this I used 2 of them to good effect.

The other option I'm looking at myself is 4 Rock Lobbers (400pts), though I'm in the process of obtaining the parts I need to convert them so I cannot vouch for whether they are any good beyond the theory.

Be sure to shout if there are any further queries you may have. Me and Kieran (@Sangfroid) will finally be recording our long delayed podcast on Ironjawz post GH2017 soon, which hopefully will be pretty definitive. I believe the delay has helped as we've been able to play more games etc.

Enjoy!
Chris

Hi,

Sorry to piggyback on the OP's thread here, but do you happen to have any suggestions on what weapons to give to Brute units? I'm staring down the Brute build finally, but I have yet to play a game as Ironjawz. The list I'm throwing around in my head has 20 brutes (1 unit of x10, 2 units of x5), but I don't know what gear to give them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Hi,

Sorry to piggyback on the OP's thread here, but do you happen to have any suggestions on what weapons to give to Brute units? I'm staring down the Brute build finally, but I have yet to play a game as Ironjawz. The list I'm throwing around in my head has 20 brutes (1 unit of x10, 2 units of x5), but I don't know what gear to give them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Magnetise them. Seriously.

Boss Claw/Smasha.
As many Gorechoppas as you're allowed (4 at 20)
Dual Wield for the units of 5.
You can use either for the unit of 10, see @Sangfroid for that, but personally I prefer 2h. It's easier to use and more reliable.

Just to help a bit I have also used units of 5 with 2” weapons in combo with Ardboyz (10s) I placed the brutes in b2b contact behind the Ardboyz (also in 1 rank) then wrapped the Ardboyz around the sides a little (the picture below in the top left show it) it meant that only a rear charge would get a lot of attacks on the Brutes in this case the Fyreslayers don’t have much 2” weapons (if any?).  It forced my opponent to pop up on the flank instead of in front of my army (I had 3 such units of Ardboyz/2” Brutes) then inside the perimeter there was 2x 5 Brutes with choppas and 2 Megaboss (battlebrew I do miss you *sniff*), coming in as he did he ended up diluting his attacks across three units and its nearly a year since I played this game but I think he only managed to kill one brute from the choppas and 2 or 3 Ardboyz in return the 9 Brutes go town, next turn I think the Ardboyz retreated and the Megaboss joined in the fun. 

Like I said above a lot of Ironjawz success is how you use the the units rather than what they are (this does apply to other armies as well of course). This then goes back to how and why you are making the army. 

What I mean is you want to play ironjawz, good!then your thinking should be,well how do I want to play my ironjawz? This then dictates if 1” or 2” weapons are better or boss choppa over a Klaw & smasha (the boss choppa is really good in a different way to the Klaw, if your not using waaagh and you can place him into low armour save units (ogors are great as they have high wounds as well or skyfires) he can be very consistent and often squeezes thru 4 or 6 wounds. ) 

sorry a bit meandering but it is more what your going to do with them rather than which is best

9BB800C9-0F6C-4602-85E5-E0BE57A82175.jpeg

A2EDB9E1-11D9-4ADD-AEFB-B0E32E4E84D8.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Those look like the dirty Fyreslayers I faced in G2 of blood and glory, liam cook i think. That damn 4+ rerollable followed by 6++ makes them so tanky :( 

It’s actually Carl Smiths (and that’s Carl I’m playing) army Liam just borrowed them for B&G he is normally a Sylvaneth player (also Liam is nicknamed Young Chris after @Chris Tomlin hehe) top bloke

On 2017-11-24 at 11:47 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Enjoy!
Chris

Thanks man! Im looking forward to the podcast! Where can i listen to it when its all said and done? 

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Clay_Puppington said:

Hi,

Thanks.

I reckon magnetising them would be a bit of a pain. My suggestion is just to buy more Brutes haha!! ;) 

My preference is;

5 Brutes - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha, Gore-choppa, 3x Two Brute Choppas

10 Brutes - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha, 2x Gore-choppa, 7x Jagged Gore-hacka

For units bigger than 10, just add an additional Gore-choppa per 5. There will be a variety of advices available on running the different sized units with alternative weapon options (most notably from @Sangfroid), but to be honest I don't think you can go wrong with the above.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, Kimbo said:

Thanks man! Im looking forward to the podcast! Where can i listen to it when its all said and done? 

www.theblacksun.co.uk or search The Black Sun on iTunes. You can also find links to all the individual episodes on the forums here;

http://www.tga.community/forums/forum/61-the-black-sun/

On a bit of a break at present but will be doing something soon enough :) 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:38 PM, Kimbo said:

Thanks! Really good information!!

Regarding allies...I like the thought of having some range firepower....arrowboyz? Are they good? 

Personally I do like them.  Remember that they are relatively cheap wounds on 32mm bases (offering a lot of screening) so as long as you don't expect the earth, you won't be disappointed.  You get a lot more out of them in blocks of 30 at 360 points, so that's what I'd be taking.  I actually made a post on this when GH17 first came out, which you might be interested in taking a look at:

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

Personally I do like them.  Remember that they are relatively cheap wounds on 32mm bases (offering a lot of screening) so as long as you don't expect the earth, you won't be disappointed.  You get a lot more out of them in blocks of 30 at 360 points, so that's what I'd be taking.  I actually made a post on this when GH17 first came out, which you might be interested in taking a look at:

Interesting! Thank you 

On 11/27/2017 at 2:01 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

I reckon magnetising them would be a bit of a pain. My suggestion is just to buy more Brutes haha!! ;) 

My preference is;

5 Brutes - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha, Gore-choppa, 3x Two Brute Choppas

10 Brutes - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha, 2x Gore-choppa, 7x Jagged Gore-hacka

For units bigger than 10, just add an additional Gore-choppa per 5. There will be a variety of advices available on running the different sized units with alternative weapon options (most notably from @Sangfroid), but to be honest I don't think you can go wrong with the above.

Thanks so much.

On a Maw-Krusha Megaboss, I'm leaning towards a Choppa and a Rip-tooth Fist. Am I off base in those being the better option?

Thanks again!

12 hours ago, Clay_Puppington said:

On a Maw-Krusha Megaboss, I'm leaning towards a Choppa and a Rip-tooth Fist. Am I off base in those being the better option?

That's definitely my preferred choice. An extra attack with the 3+/3+/-1/2  statline is nice, especially if you're considering increasing the damage or rend characteristic with an artefact. The Rip-tooth Fist is slightly more unreliable due to the 4+ to hit, but I find the additional rend 2 attack to be useful. In general the maximum theoretical damage is higher, so if you're an optimist, this may be the option for you! ;) 

On the other side of the coin, having a 2" range attack is indeed a nice option and the Scrap-tooth will at least make people roll saves more often. On the aesthetical side of things, the Boss Gore-hacka is arguably the coolest weapon we have available across the entire army!

Archived