Lured in by 12 year old

Mother of the Thorn

Hey all,

Old gamer, based in UK. Used to play some D&D , still play other tabletop games. My son has gotten into Warhammer AoS, finally got his first set, then was gifted an old Tomb Kings set from a friend of mine which led me here - researching the correct paint colours to buy. A few have been painted and he wants to match up.

I'm also quite interested in the Warhammer Quest games - Silver Tower in particular looks good. I suspect I may find myself drawn in via that route soon.

Hi and welcome to TGA!

Coming into the hobby with somebody to play with is a bit of a benefit as it generally helps the enthusiasm :)  Silver Tower is a great game (and amazing value), it doesn't use the core Age of Sigmar rules although AoS warscrolls do exist for every model in the box.  We're a fairly friendly bunch here, so be sure to post up some pictures of what you've painted and are painting over in the Painting and Modelling forum, we've people of all ability levels who can help out if you need any assistance.

1 hour ago, Mother of the Thorn said:

Undoubtedly I'll post my painting progress once I get started. It's probable that I will have to wait until January to get hold of my own set. 

Until then I'll get my fix vicariously!

Sounds like a good plan to me!  There are loads of YouTube videos and tutorials out there that will give you a great kickstart when you get a set too, Games Workshop have their own "Warhammer TV" channel which I can't recommend enough, you've also "The War Gamer" on there too (plus it's great way to get your painting fix).

On 19-11-2017 at 5:34 PM, Mother of the Thorn said:

Hey all,

Old gamer, based in UK. Used to play some D&D , still play other tabletop games. My son has gotten into Warhammer AoS, finally got his first set, then was gifted an old Tomb Kings set from a friend of mine which led me here - researching the correct paint colours to buy. A few have been painted and he wants to match up.

I'm also quite interested in the Warhammer Quest games - Silver Tower in particular looks good. I suspect I may find myself drawn in via that route soon.

I would advice to get Warhammer Shadespire instead of Silver Tower - its quite tactical and fun game to play with 2 to 4 players.

As for tomb kings paint colours, you can have them painted up to a tabletop standard quite easily with the simple paint scheme I use for them! :) (about 5 minutes work per miniature excluding drying steps). My suggestion is to get these:

Imperial Black Primer (paint on) or the Citadel Black spray as a primer

Rakarth Flesh

Aggrax Earthshade

Balthasar Gold

Leadbelcher

Rinox Hide

Ushabti Bone

1 XL Base coat brush

1 XL dry brush

1 medium basecoat brush

1 detail brush

Any type of Varnish, either the spray or 'Ardcoat paint-on varnish. You can use Lahmian Medium to matte out the shine of 'Ardcoat

Do like this:

1. Build all your miniatures

2. Prime black

3. Grab your XL base coat brush, put a little bit of Rakarth flesh, thin it a LITTLE bit with water to make it more smooth, but not so much that it becomes transparant on the black undercoat, and kind of start to heavily overbrush all miniatures, getting the rakarth flesh nice and spread out all over the miniature. Just make sure your brush is not too wet that it'll soak your miniature in paint, but wet enough to cover the entire surface when you do this step.  Because the brush is big, it will cover areas fast and quite evenly, because you can brush off paint if it covers details. Hard to reach areas, you can "stab" the brush into the area over and over until it covers it. If some of the primer is shining through - don't worry, with washing steps later that'll blur those errors out :).

4. Take Balthasar gold and your base brush and detail brush, thin a bit of paint with water, I personally feel 1 "brush load" of paint and 2 "brush loads" of water mixed together gives the best smooth consistency. You can also take paint from the bottle, dip it in water, mix on a palet. Add more water to make it smoother if needed.  pick out all the armour details and paint them gold. Small details use the detail brush, for big sections use the basecoat brush - its ok if you go over the edges a tiny bit, the wash will make that nearly invisible later on, so don't spend too much time fixing things! :)

5 Use Leadbelcher to paint the weapons  - thin with water! 1 drop of paint + 2 drops of water is enough coverage.

6. Take Rinox Hide, think it a little bit and paint all the cloth and leather straps and wooden handles and such; optionally you can paint some of the bandages with Ushabti bone.

7. Take your dry brush and Ushabti Bone, put a LITTLE bit of the ushabti bone on the dry brush, and brush it out on a tissue or pallet until there is hardly ANY paint left, now quickly swip that over the leather and metallic areas a bit

(optional: you can highlight the gold bits with a tiny bit of leadbelcher if needed)

8. Grab the Medium Basecoat brush and Aggrax Earthshade, put the earthshade all over the model

9. Repeat step 6 if you want to highlight a bit 

10. Put on some varnish on and they are ready to play!

Then if you want to make it a bit fancier, get yourself some texture paint. Stirland battlemire would work, put it on the bases, dry brush with ushabti bone, wash with aggrax earthshade. Or alternatively get any of the other texture paints - same steps with ushabti  dry brush + aggrax wash.

These steps, when done in a production-line kind of fashion, doing 1 miniature after the next while the paint dries, should average at about 5 minutes work per miniature (excluding drying steps of washes), with relatively thin coats of paint. You can paint up an entire army of skeletons in a day or two, since the only steps you really need to focus are the ones where you are putting Rinox Hide and Balthasar gold. 

The end result will look something like this (I used leadbelcher for the metal here to fit the vampire counts theme, but you get the idea when it comes to tomb kings), capes are Khorne red + aggrax earthshade + mephiston red highlight/glaze (heavily dilluted mephiston):

IMG_0969.jpg.2a65be3660bd98428941ee45e1304d6e.jpg

If you prefer a more "yellowish" tomb king skeletons, you can use Zandri Dust instead of Rakarth Flesh, and Seraphim Sepia wash instead of Aggrax Earthshade. 

I hope this helps!

On 29/11/2017 at 2:16 PM, Mother of the Thorn said:

Thanks @Kugane  for the painting tips - That's really useful. :)

I kind of prefer Silver Tower as it has more of a D&D feel to it for me. Plus I rather like the miniatures that come with it and my son will no doubt get Shadespire at some point so best of both worlds!

Silver Tower is a more engaging play experience for me - its not very fashionable to think Shadespire is a bit rubbish at the moment but I don't really get what the hype is about. I played it for a couple of evenings and felt I had got everything I was going to get from it.

I think you will get more out of Silver Tower. 

Archived