Mannfred 1k list.

Dracothjay

I have a game coming up against 2 different opponents. It's a 3 way match and my opponents are darkling covens and a mixed aelf list. My list is as follows:

mannfred von Carstein- general 

cairn wraith - sword of unholy power

20 skeletons

10 skeletons

3 spirit host

3 vargheist

so my plan is to use skeletons to screen and to take and hold key objectives. 

Mannfred and vargheists will act as my hammer, ganging up on units to help pick them off. 

My cairn wraith will use his once per game artefact to summon in the vargheist as I want to keep them safe until I need a turn of charging.

my spirit host will stay close to the wraith to screen and also assault weaker units. 

A fibal idea is I could drop 10 skeletons from the 20 block and drop the wraith and replace them for a Vampire Lord with the same artefact., but I feel I'm going to need the larger block of skeletons. 

What are your thoughts?

Skeletons can't really screen because they're too slow, but having one group of skeletons to leave on your objective / closest objective to your deployment is definitely a good idea. Personally in three way games I don't really care about objectives I just go and kill things to stop the other people 'winning'. Seems like a fun mix of units for a friendly game, no reason to try and make it super cheesey. Personally I would of swapped the 10 skeletons for dire wolves, and the wraith for a banshee - the dire wolves are a better fit speed wise and banshees are just fun in games like this. Mannfred does eat a lot of points in a 1k list but as it's a friendly three way he'll be fine, send him on a YOLO mission.

22 hours ago, xspire said:

keletons can't really screen because they're too slow, but having one group of skeletons to leave on your objective / closest objective to your deployment is definitely a good idea. Personally in three way games I don't really care about objectives I just go and kill things to stop the other people 'winning'. Seems like a fun mix of units for a friendly game, no reason to try and make it super cheesey. Personally I would of swapped the 10 skeletons for dire wolves, and the wraith for a banshee - the dire wolves are a better fit speed wise and banshees are just fun in games like this. Mannfred does eat a lot of points in a 1k list but as it's a friendly three way he'll be fine, send him on a YOLO mission.

Well the mixed aelf player has dropped out so it's myself vs darkling covens or a mixed khorne list, opponent is undecided.

if he bring his darkling covens lost it will be 2 x 20 executioners, 3 x 10 darkshards and a sorceress. my game plan is take what objectives I can and wait for him to come to me. Then, when he's nice and close summon in my vargheist and double charge with mannfred and the vargheist on one executioner unit. 

I plan on having the 3 spirit hose close to my 20 block as a vanguard screen, mannfred and vargheist with the unit of 10 or in the middle of the board so I have flexibility for aiding any of the flanks.

22 hours ago, xspire said:

keletons can't really screen because they're too slow, but having one group of skeletons to leave on your objective / closest objective to your deployment is definitely a good idea. Personally in three way games I don't really care about objectives I just go and kill things to stop the other people 'winning'. Seems like a fun mix of units for a friendly game, no reason to try and make it super cheesey. Personally I would of swapped the 10 skeletons for dire wolves, and the wraith for a banshee - the dire wolves are a better fit speed wise and banshees are just fun in games like this. Mannfred does eat a lot of points in a 1k list but as it's a friendly three way he'll be fine, send him on a YOLO mission.

Well the mixed aelf player has dropped out so it's myself vs darkling covens or a mixed khorne list, opponent is undecided.

if he bring his darkling covens lost it will be 2 x 20 executioners, 3 x 10 darkshards and a sorceress. my game plan is take what objectives I can and wait for him to come to me. Then, when he's nice and close summon in my vargheist and double charge with mannfred and the vargheist on one executioner unit. 

I plan on having the 3 spirit hose close to my 20 block as a vanguard screen, mannfred and vargheist with the unit of 10 or in the middle of the board so I have flexibility for aiding any of the flanks.

15 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Oh there isn't! Totally missed that! Hmmmmm. Might just have th 10 skeleton unit and spirit host in my summoning pool then.

The 10 skeletons must be in your list in order for you to meet battleline requirements. Summoned units do not exist or take up points until they are actually summoned.

7 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

The 10 skeletons must be in your list in order for you to meet battleline requirements. Summoned units do not exist or take up points until they are actually summoned.

I'm aware of that, but you can summon BATTLELINE units though. I'm trying to keep stuff back to summon to take first turn. Minimal drops to start, then summon in spirit host and a unit of 10 skeletons right onto an objective.

8 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I'm aware of that, but you can summon BATTLELINE units though. I'm trying to keep stuff back to summon to take first turn. Minimal drops to start, then summon in spirit host and a unit of 10 skeletons right onto an objective.

You can summon battleline units, but if you are summoning them, they don't exist in your list, and therefore do not count towards your requirements.

Dropping the 10 man unit for 80 reserve points would leave you with just the single 20 man unit as your only battleline. You would need to split that unit in two.

7 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

You can summon battleline units, but if you are summoning them, they don't exist in your list, and therefore do not count towards your requirements.

Dropping the 10 man unit for 80 reserve points would leave you with just the single 20 man unit as your only battleline. You would need to split that unit in two.

Oh I'm with you now! Yeah, I played my game tonight and realised that BATTLELINE need to be fielded outside of summoning points. I only summoned in my spirit host anyway.

on a good note, I won 9-0. Mannfred is so frickin' nasty!

my opponents list was

mighty lord of khorne

chaos sorcerer

dark elf sorceress 

10 pink horrors

10 bloodletters

20 executioners.

between my vargheist and mannfred, they pretty much gobbled up everything apart from the elves whilst my skeletons held back on objectives.

however, I feel the skeletons were kind of out of place in this list. I think I could take some wolves instead and make myunit of  3 spirit host into a unit of 6, which would require me dropping all skeletons for 2 units of 5 wolves.  Or at least have 2 units of 3 spirit host 

32 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Oh I'm with you now! Yeah, I played my game tonight and realised that BATTLELINE need to be fielded outside of summoning points. I only summoned in my spirit host anyway.

on a good note, I won 9-0. Mannfred is so frickin' nasty!

my opponents list was

mighty lord of khorne

chaos sorcerer

dark elf sorceress 

10 pink horrors

10 bloodletters

20 executioners.

between my vargheist and mannfred, they pretty much gobbled up everything apart from the elves whilst my skeletons held back on objectives.

however, I feel the skeletons were kind of out of place in this list. I think I could take some wolves instead and make myunit of  3 spirit host into a unit of 6, which would require me dropping all skeletons for 2 units of 5 wolves.  Or at least have 2 units of 3 spirit host 

Dropping the skeletons for wolves sounds like a good idea vs non ranged armies. Or even swapping one unit for wolves just for a bit of variety at 1k could be worth trying, play a few more test games. If you have one of each at least you can compare the pros and cons of both in different situations vs different armies. I think if you were going super competitive at 1K you'd choose one or the other but as this list seems to be aimed towards friendly games I'd definitely recommend going for 1 of each. Personally I prefer wolves, I prefer their speed and I prefer painting less models.

Seems like a bit of a one sided game (lol Mannfred) ~ But bare in mind that if your opponent took a proper 'Dark elf' ranged  list and not this weird 2 armies mixed together shenanigans you would of got wiped off the table for having such a low wound count. I know it's a fun friendly game but Order units aren't designed to work well with Chaos units so it's not a surprise he/she got smashed. Also the fact that he/she went for smaller units and single heroes made it extremely easy for you to chew through them one by one instead of having to deal with anything more substantial with your limited models. As soon as you see the 20 executioners it's pretty obvious you can just leave them until last and deal with everything else first.

I'd still recommend trying out a banshee for some fun times, especially if your opponents/friends are going to be bringing super non-competitive lists as above.

7 hours ago, xspire said:

Mannfred) ~ But bare in mind that if your opponent took a proper 'Dark elf' ranged  list and not this weird 2 armies mixed together shenanigans you would of got wiped off the table for having such a low wound count. I know it's a fun friendly game but Order units aren't designed to work well with Chaos units so it's not a surprise he/she got smashed. Also the fact that he/she went for smaller units and single heroes made it extremely easy for you to chew through them one by one instead of having to deal with anything more substantial with your limited models. As soon as you see the 20 executioners it's pretty obvious you can just leave them until last and deal with everything else fir

His usual darkling covens list at 1k is 2 20 block executioners, 3x10 darkshards and a sorceress (or 2).

i usually play FEC bat last night was my first mixed list and really enjoyed it. Fresh play style. 

My FEC usually does 50/50 against his list. He always mystic shields one Ex unit and inspiring presence the 2nd Ex unit, which makes them hard to shift. I bring flayers and ghouls at 1k games against him, GKoTG at 1.5k with some added horrors etc. 

I really want to focus mixed death route, I can see myself lieabibg slightly down the soulblight road though.

I have a question. The artefact SWORD OF UNHOLY POWER, when you use it to instantly summon a unit of your choosing, does it have to be the minimum size for the unit or can it be what ever size you want.

for example, I use the artefact to summon in spirit host, can I summon 6 in or just 3?

On 11/22/2017 at 2:15 AM, Dracothjay said:

I have a question. The artefact SWORD OF UNHOLY POWER, when you use it to instantly summon a unit of your choosing, does it have to be the minimum size for the unit or can it be what ever size you want.

for example, I use the artefact to summon in spirit host, can I summon 6 in or just 3?

Unless FAQed otherwise it would be the minimum number. In order to achieve the higher number the casting roll has to be higher than 10. There was no casting roll, thus the condition was not met.  The sword is replacing the need for a casting roll, so thus it is impossible to meet the condition of rolling higher than 10.

2 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Unless FAQed otherwise it would be the minimum number. In order to achieve the higher number the casting roll has to be higher than 10. There was no casting roll, thus the condition was not met.  The sword is replacing the need for a casting roll, so thus it is impossible to meet the condition of rolling higher than 10.

I thought so, worth double checking though.  it's a great artefact to use when you want morghast in, especially if you don't have arkhan doing the summoning.

On 22/11/2017 at 1:37 AM, xspire said:

I'd still recommend trying out a banshee for some fun times, especially if your opponents/friends are going to be bringing super non-competitive lists as above.

I have written a list with the banshee in, but Tuesday coming the 3 way is back on. Against darkling covens and seraphon.

i fully understand that I could be wiped off th board with low wound count, but I've written this list just to see how it does perform against armies that novel medium range and have shooting.

mannfred

vampire lord flying horror - cursed book

5 dire wolves 

5 dire wolves

3 vargheist

3 vargheist

my gameplan is to deploy right on my table edge to be out of shooting range of the covens. Seraphon might deploy skinks close to me or the darkling covens, but as its king of the hill objective I'm going to let the lizards and DC fight it out and hopefully swoop in and mop up on turn 5.

Archived