Skyborn Slayers

Andy Bryan

Question

Hi Folks 

I ve just read The article on duality of death and was wondering whether a set up by the skyborn slayers formation in the movement phase counts as a move.

I agree that the lighting chariot move can’t be used but feel that the use of the formation which states that it counts as its move is valid. 

Can anyone clarify it for me 

7 answers to this question

I can tell you that last weekend when I played this scenario with my Seraphon, my opponent and I agreed that the Seraphon teleport ability (with the text "counts as its move") counts for the purposes of activating the scenario rules. Therefore, the text indicating "this is their move for the movement phase" would count where I play.

Of course, if you're talking tournament play that may be another thing entirely -- when in doubt, check with the tournament organizer.

This is a longstanding issue in the rules - the first FAQ drove a bright line between set ups and moves (a hard distinction which implies one or the other). Unfortunately inconsistent wording between rules that should be the same (Summoning spells which say the unit cannot move in the movement phase versus deployment rules some of which say that the setup counts as the unit’s move) has blurred the position.

Frankly the answer is for the FAQ to specify that a given rule is either a setup or a move and never both (if necessary amending a few scrolls in the FAQ for balance reasons). It’s very obvious which abilities are in substance setup rules versus moves (anything with 9” in it is a setup for starters).

The biggest reason for this is that newer players are understandably confused by the position (which a clear rule would resolve).  It is absurd/confusing for something to be both a move and a setup.

15 hours ago, ledha said:

can someone explain me why skyborn-movemen-duality of death is troubling you ?

I want to start scoring ad soon as I drop as I feel the sentence means I can.

But I don' want to upset my opponent if they disagree with my interpretation of the phrase. 

16 hours ago, Nico said:

This is a longstanding issue in the rules - the first FAQ drove a bright line between set ups and moves (a hard distinction which implies one or the other). Unfortunately inconsistent wording between rules that should be the same (Summoning spells which say the unit cannot move in the movement phase versus deployment rules some of which say that the setup counts as the unit’s move) has blurred the position.

Frankly the answer is for the FAQ to specify that a given rule is either a setup or a move and never both (if necessary amending a few scrolls in the FAQ for balance reasons). It’s very obvious which abilities are in substance setup rules versus moves (anything with 9” in it is a setup for starters).

The biggest reason for this is that newer players are understandably confused by the position (which a clear rule would resolve).  It is absurd/confusing for something to be both a move and a setup.

Nico

How would you play it. 

Thanks 

Andy 

That any teleport is a pure setup ability (and so not a move) - so cannot immediately score on Duality and not subject to the 3” restriction and not a retreat (the last point has been implemented in a recent FAQ).

That the phrases “counts as its move for the movement phase”  or “is its move for the movement phase” merely mean “expends its ability to move in the movement phase”.

Archived