Flying and scenery

Melcar

Question

Hi... Had a discussion with my friends the last time we gamed!

Since one can fly across scenery, without being affected by the scenery effect, I posited that one could hover above it, if one were to end ones move above or within the scenery boundaries. Reason for me believing that hovering is a thing is because short models like Goblins cant reach flying units, that tells me, that they hover... and if they can hover, they can hover above scenery too.

What is your take on this?

1 answer to this question

From the Basic Rules:

FLYING
If the warscroll for a model says that the
model can fly, it can pass across models and
scenery as if they were not there. It still may
not finish the move within 3" of an enemy
in the movement phase, and if it is already
within 3" of an enemy it can only retreat or
remain stationary.

From the FAQ:

"Note that models which can fly ignore scenery (and other models) as they move, and therefore the vertical distance is not included when working out how far they have moved."

Bolded emphasis mine. When a model with the flying ability is not moving, it must follow applicable rules.

Furthermore, the FAQ explaining how a short model can't reach a flying model is under the assumption that you are using the "model to model" version of playing AoS, as opposed to the totally ubiquitous "base to base" house rule that is more balanced, faster, easier, less damaging to figures, used in every tournament, used by everyone in the entire world, and avoids nonsensical situations like Archaon not being able to make attacks with his sword because he can't reach anything.

Archived